Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we keep?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 282 Guests

Who do we keep?

This thread currently has 16,651 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
MaccasBoots
June 6, 2022, 2:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Hagrid

Maguire Drew is under contract

Fair enough, thought we signed him on a 6 month for some reason, may as well keep then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 135
pyfish
June 6, 2022, 2:06pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +3
Gold Stars: 1
Hope we can keep hold of Andy Smith for at least another season. Did some great work for us yesterday and whenever he's played and will only get better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 135
horsforthmariner
June 6, 2022, 2:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
I'm not going to name names (bar one) but generally I want to keep as much of this squad who it's realistically possible to keep. 1. Keep that winning mentality. 2. We've got 8 weeks an entire squad rebuild would be hard. 3. How anyone can say release 18 and 19 year olds is beyond me - i bet no-one on the Fishy has the first clue whether these kids will be good enough.

If I could keep one player out of the out of contract list it's Ben Fox - best central midfielder we've had since Nolan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 135
Maringer
June 6, 2022, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Was Barnett their right-winger? A really good player who I thought caused us all sorts of problems in the two games I saw us play again them - would be an excellent signing. Sbarra was decent as well, but Barnett was more effective.

Dallas looks a good player and scored a lot of goals this season, but he was playing a sort of McAtee-type role yesterday. If we can keep McAtee, I'm not really sure how he would fit in.

A lot depends on what formation Hurst has in mind for next season. I suspect we'll retain a lot more of the squad this time around. I seem to recall Hurst has admitted he perhaps moved too many on after our last promotion out of non-league (possibly due to the budget on offer from Fenty, of course).

At full-back, I personally prefer Cropper to Efete because that throw-in is such a weapon and he's probably a better 'defensive' full-back than Efete. Also the fitness situation to consider because he's not been fit for a third of the season due to recurring muscle injuries. I'm aware that Cropper has had his injury problems in the past as well. I had a sneaking feeling that Efete would leave us this summer to head to a club down south, but this was before we won promotion. League status makes it more likely he'll sign again if offered a contract, unless a League club in the south comes in for him.

I suspect that Crookes will be released, with thanks for his efforts. Amos has done very well considering his lack of prior experience and I think he'll do well next season with a full pre-season behind him.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Longe-King. He was obviously signed with the intention that he would be starting games but never really settled even when we were doing so well at the start of the season. He's under contract, so might be kept on as a backup. I suspect it depends what happens with Smith who I would hope we'll try to sign on a season-long loan.

We can't give a contract to Wright or Scannell due to their respective injury issues. Tough for Scannell who was eventually coming good and on Wright who I hope will find himself a Conference club where he gets the chance to play himself into some fitness, because he certainly looks to have some ability. JMD simply has to sort his fitness out this summer. Can't do anything about the fact that he's got no pace, but even if he's not as natural an athlete as the likes of Clifton and Sousa, he's got to be able to run more than he has been doing this season. A great amount of ability and creates and scores goals (a lovely cross for McAtee's effort which he toed just past the post) but he's simply got to be able to keep running for 90 minutes.

Burgess is obviously going to be released, as will LJL who will no doubt be leading the line at York next season.

Providing we keep Taylor for another season (and I hope we do), I'd probably keep Dieseruvwe but I think Abrahams will want to be starting games so will probably move on elsewhere down south.

Of course, all bets are off if somebody in League One (or the National League!) comes in with big offer for McAtee because at that point, we'd probably have to change our style of play unless a suitable replacement could be found.

Coke shouldn't be playing for us next season as he's well past his best but may join the coaching set up. Jones will probably be looking for a contract in the NLS. Clifton will obviously stay but I don't think we want to be seeing him playing left wing for us next year. He's scored a reasonable number of goals but has missed some relatively easy chances which could have cost us but, more importantly, I just don't think he creates enough and his left-foot isn't strong enough to play on that side. Incredible energy, great versatility so worth a place in the squad at the very least but unless he can cement a place in the centre of the field, I think he'll remain a utility player who can put in a good shift in lots of positions as required.

I obviously hope we can keep Fox who has been fantastic since coming back into the team after his last injury and think that what happens with midfield signings will entirely depend on whether or not he stays. Same goes for McAtee up front as well, I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 135
MuddyWaters
June 6, 2022, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
Was Barnett their right-winger? A really good player who I thought caused us all sorts of problems in the two games I saw us play again them - would be an excellent signing. Sbarra was decent as well, but Barnett was more effective.

Barnett is their right winger and would be a massive upgrade on Sousa. Hearing a couple of rumours which would be fantastic signings and a real statement.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 135
Bigdog
June 6, 2022, 2:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer

Dallas looks a good player and scored a lot of goals this season, but he was playing a sort of McAtee-type role yesterday. If we can keep McAtee, I'm not really sure how he would fit in.

A lot depends on what formation Hurst has in mind for next season. I suspect we'll retain a lot more of the squad this time around. I seem to recall Hurst has admitted he perhaps moved too many on after our last promotion out of non-league (possibly due to the budget on offer from Fenty, of course).

At full-back, I personally prefer Cropper to Efete because that throw-in is such a weapon and he's probably a better 'defensive' full-back than Efete. Also the fitness situation to consider because he's not been fit for a third of the season due to recurring muscle injuries. I'm aware that Cropper has had his injury problems in the past as well. I had a sneaking feeling that Efete would leave us this summer to head to a club down south, but this was before we won promotion. League status makes it more likely he'll sign again if offered a contract, unless a League club in the south comes in for him.

I suspect that Crookes will be released, with thanks for his efforts. Amos has done very well considering his lack of prior experience and I think he'll do well next season with a full pre-season behind him.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Longe-King. He was obviously signed with the intention that he would be starting games but never really settled even when we were doing so well at the start of the season. He's under contract, so might be kept on as a backup. I suspect it depends what happens with Smith who I would hope we'll try to sign on a season-long loan.

We can't give a contract to Wright or Scannell due to their respective injury issues. Tough for Scannell who was eventually coming good and on Wright who I hope will find himself a Conference club where he gets the chance to play himself into some fitness, because he certainly looks to have some ability. JMD simply has to sort his fitness out this summer. Can't do anything about the fact that he's got no pace, but even if he's not as natural an athlete as the likes of Clifton and Sousa, he's got to be able to run more than he has been doing this season. A great amount of ability and creates and scores goals (a lovely cross for McAtee's effort which he toed just past the post) but he's simply got to be able to keep running for 90 minutes.

Burgess is obviously going to be released, as will LJL who will no doubt be leading the line at York next season.

Providing we keep Taylor for another season (and I hope we do), I'd probably keep Dieseruvwe but I think Abrahams will want to be starting games so will probably move on elsewhere down south.

Of course, all bets are off if somebody in League One (or the National League!) comes in with big offer for McAtee because at that point, we'd probably have to change our style of play unless a suitable replacement could be found.

Coke shouldn't be playing for us next season as he's well past his best but may join the coaching set up. Jones will probably be looking for a contract in the NLS. Clifton will obviously stay but I don't think we want to be seeing him playing left wing for us next year. He's scored a reasonable number of goals but has missed some relatively easy chances which could have cost us but, more importantly, I just don't think he creates enough and his left-foot isn't strong enough to play on that side. Incredible energy, great versatility so worth a place in the squad at the very least but unless he can cement a place in the centre of the field, I think he'll remain a utility player who can put in a good shift in lots of positions as required.

I obviously hope we can keep Fox who has been fantastic since coming back into the team after his last injury and think that what happens with midfield signings will entirely depend on whether or not he stays. Same goes for McAtee up front as well, I suppose.

Can play anywhere in a three behind the main striker and a great alternative to McAtee if he's out injured anytime..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 135
MuddyWaters
June 6, 2022, 2:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Can play anywhere in a three behind the main striker and a great alternative to McAtee if he's out injured anytime..

Are you his agent?
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 135
out of town
June 6, 2022, 3:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Barnett is their right winger and would be a massive upgrade on Sousa. Hearing a couple of rumours which would be fantastic signings and a real statement.

Go on then...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 135
Hagrid
June 6, 2022, 3:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
I know Max has been offered a trial at York City

Ryan Bennett has moved back to the area and bought down Humberston Ave, still contracted to Swansea though so cant see this personally!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 135
MuddyWaters
June 6, 2022, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
I know Max has been offered a trial at York City

Ryan Bennett has moved back to the area and bought down Humberston Ave, still contracted to Swansea though so cant see this personally!

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we keep?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.