June 6, 2022, 11:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
I Tweeted the same after the final whistle yesterday  

https://twitter.com/ConnorSwales69/status/1533492736799789059

i've always thought Paul was the man for Grimsby town, i couldnt be more pleased for him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
LH
June 6, 2022, 11:36am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
The Town/Council should be honouring in some way. He’s won as many finals as Buckley did and more promotions than most managers too. Not everyone in NEL is a Town but it’s the only thing in the area that keeps Grimsby in the national news every week for 9 months of the year.

The club shouldn’t deviate from sustainability but move mountains to get him as much as he needs to spend on anyone and anything he thinks he needs. This is a great opportunity to build on from new, solid foundations.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
Jarmo.Is.God
June 6, 2022, 11:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Huge fan of Hurst, and the best way to put it IMO
If we swapped managers with either Notts County, Chesterfield or Wrexham, whoever we swapped with would be going up, and not us.
Especially Wrexham, criminal that they've spent so much money, yet appointed Parkinson who has been on a downward spiral for a good few years in his managerial career
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
June 6, 2022, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Just wanted to say a bit more on hurst

I was thinking about how sousa is a great example of hursts man management talent. This is a player that was going from club to club, at a level below ours, playing 7 or 8 games and moving on, he clearly had raw talent but he seemed like he must be uncoachable. Hurst gave him a home, gave him opportunities, then would take him out the team and coach him, then would put him back in, and same again. As long as he would put the effort in, hurst would give him chances.

At the start of the season he was an all out wild card, a real rough diamond who could dribble past 3 people but then smash a cross into the far stands. Youd think at 26 years old he'd never change. But weve finished the season with a well rounded clever attacking player, who will track back, make runs, create space, put the work and effort in and fully earnt his starting spot in 3 massive games. Just think about that for a minute, the amount of progress in one season. Amazing coaching really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
HertsGTFC
June 6, 2022, 1:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
As well as being really pleased to be promoted for all involved I'm pleased for Hurst as this now must close down the ear cupping obsessives.

Also at Ipswich I'm not sure he knew what he was walking in to as that was a really challenging job where from afar it felt like he didn't have the tools he needed, I'm not sure it also helped with Alan Brazil having a pop on National Radio a couple of times a week.

In terms of Scunny I just bet Swann is kicking himself to be honest as that was another really stupid hiring & firing decision by him.

On BT Adam Summerton described us as the comeback Kings yesterday but maybe the Manager is the best comeback story of all.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
RonMariner
June 6, 2022, 3:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
With the possible exception of Solihull, I recon every club in the National League would love to have him as manager. He has made the playoffs in every season he has been in sole charge of Town in the division, making three finals, two of which he won, That is some record.

I would think several L2 sides would live to have him too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
MarinerDevil
June 6, 2022, 3:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Let's make sure we give him the tools he needs so he doesn't get poached again!

I was one of the ones questioning whether he'd lost his touch during the second third of this season, but the turnaround has been pretty staggering.  Never seen a play-off campaign like that.  It was built on stacks of attitude and desire.  You can't coach that, it's ingrained into the squad as a reflection of the manager.

I'll never doubt you again, Paul.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 6, 2022, 4:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from RonMariner
With the possible exception of Solihull, I recon every club in the National League would love to have him as manager. He has made the playoffs in every season he has been in sole charge of Town in the division, making three finals, two of which he won, That is some record.

I would think several L2 sides would live to have him too.

I cannot tell you how happy the next line I am going to type is making me......

A L2 side does have him  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
BottesfordMariner
June 6, 2022, 4:21pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
A job well done Paul Hurst.

He has proven what a good manager he is. He rebuilt a team that was in disarray almost from scratch into a promotion winning side in 1 season. Full respect for a helluva achievement.

He has had his critics during his time at Town but you cant argue against his record. 2 Promotions and another Play Off Final appearance. He has consistently put together competitive sides.

He has a knack of spotting players. He gets more right than wrong. He works tirelessly.

During his first spell despite the fact results in the main were good there was this uneasy relationship with some of the fan base. There wasnt that connection. I got the feeling he didnt feel appreciated by the club or fans and it felt to me like he couldnt wait to get out when an opportunity arose. He was often quite prickly with the media.

This time around it has just felt different. He is a more experienced manager. He has enjoyed some good times and bad. He just seems far more relaxed and comfortable in his own ability. His interactions with the media and fans is much more positive. He smiles. He has always been honest in his analysis of the team's and his own performance. Now theres some humour. He just seems happier.

I dont get that same feeling as 6 years ago that he would walk away. I am sure he is still ambitious but hopefully the current ownership shares his ambitions which maybe wasnt the case before.

Enjoy a little break Mr Hurst you have earned it. And i look forward to an interesting close season to see how the squad evolves for life in League 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lord Hurst of Grimsby

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.