5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
May 2, 2022, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Sweeney, Conlon, Linwood and others ought to be ashamed of themselves. They’re not, of course they’re not. We’re just the mugs who paid their wages. And don’t get me started on Newell. They made mugs of us and particularly John Fenty, who, by then, should have known better.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
aldi_01
May 2, 2022, 10:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m all for redemption and if they’re genuine then fair dos. May be his compared to say Linwood who still sounded like a completely and utter girl private.

Are that squad worse than the one that took us down last year? Probably not, there was some quality in it but their attitude and the state of the club was a recipe for disaster. They’re all as culpable as each other, leadership of the club, players wearing the shirt. To some extent, I think we as a fan base should shoulder some blame. Of course, we aren’t to blame for being ducking woeful footballers or terrible owners of a club but we seemingly did little to over throw and force Fenty out. Even then, after what we saw and knew, people still supported him.

The club didn’t deserve us and for me, when we went up it was like a cleansing, some redemption, whatever but again, that was all undone, with the blame lying fair and square at the feet of one man. A man still bleeding the club dry…

I didn’t want any of that squad that took us down initially to stay, frankly, had they all drowned in the sea I wouldn’t have cared, more turn up and make sure they stayed there. I felt the same last year but I think we could all see the wider issues affecting things.

For me, Waterfall has shown redemption and a genuine apology…he’s one example but I’m sure there are others.

Sweeney could’ve been something and I’m sure he thinks he did alright. Sadly, his attitude and need for drink probably stopped him being actually good and playing at higher levels.

In truth, the only reason he sticks in our minds is for bad stuff, for being sort of the worst town side ever (arguably) but he’s just a long line of players who’ve robbed a living from us, who’ve strolled about and not cared one iota. They probably took their lead from the people at the top, but it’s impossible to argue that aside from possibly 3/4 seasons in 20 years, we’ve been a dumping ground and waiting room for should’ve retired sooner footballers…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
Youngy
May 2, 2022, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,676
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Have you actually listened to it? He’s not laughing about it at all. He sounded very much like he regrets what happened when he was at Town. He found himself in the worst possible place for where he was in his life. i.e. at a club with a huge drinking culture with a manager who went between turning a blind eye to actively encouraging it.

Completely agree, at least Sweeney admitted what a mess it was and took responsibility for the role he played. Unlike when Linwood was interviewed who thought it was all just a laugh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
GollyGTFC
May 3, 2022, 8:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Youngy

Completely agree, at least Sweeney admitted what a mess it was and took responsibility for the role he played. Unlike when Linwood was interviewed who thought it was all just a laugh.

We shouldn’t be harsh on the players like Linwood and blame them. Alcoholism is an illness not a lifestyle choice.

Get angry with the person who recruited a manager & authorised him to assemble nearly an entire squad of very talented players who had all been bombed out by clubs for the same issue previously.

If you assemble that amount of drinkers at a club it was only ever going to end up one way.

Take a look at the 2008/09 & 2009/10 accounts. Assembling that squad and paying most of them up in full cost GTFC more than the entire debt left when Fenty sold up.

Stockwood & Pettit are in effect paying off the likes of Conlon and co 13 years later.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 49
sam gy
May 3, 2022, 10:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Have you actually listened to it? He’s not laughing about it at all. He sounded very much like he regrets what happened when he was at Town. He found himself in the worst possible place for where he was in his life. i.e. at a club with a huge drinking culture with a manager who went between turning a blind eye to actively encouraging it.

Agreed - he genuinely sounded remorseful and didn't slate Woodsy at all like Linwood did. Sounded like it was the worse place for him to be at the worst time and he didn't have the mental capability to not go along with it all.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
diehardmariner
May 3, 2022, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Would genuinely steer anyone towards it for a listen.  Sweeney is fully accepting of all the stuff thrown at him on this thread alone.  He doesn't hide from the fact that he was a waster and had a bad attitude.  It's not verbatim but he ends his time talking here with "I mean it with no disrespect because it's a big club, but I thought I was better than that and I had the wrong attitude altogether".

Unlike Linwood who made fun of the situation here in 2009/10, Sweeney sounds embarrassed by it all.  He doesn't glorify it, he recognises it as the perfect storm and one that he was both key in whipping up but also got swept away with.  

Other points I enjoyed listening to were his views on the facilities, very critical of what we had and its reflection on the club (which he describes numerous times as a 'big club'), the role Woods was faced with and trying to change the culture in the dressing room but having to replace established names with kids.

Linwood sounds like an absolute weapon, even at whatever age he is now.  Sweeney sounds like someone who was an arrogant tosser as a player but has grown up and is reflecting on where he's gone wrong.  

He played a role in our downfall, no doubt about that.  But you've got to question the set-up around the place when you've got a manager who's developing and encouraging a drinking culture at the football club and then brings in a squad of players to suit that.  Hindsight is wonderful but the alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear for a long time before anyone acted.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
diehardmariner
May 3, 2022, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Oh and if you can't face the 'bantz' between the hosts at the beginning, Sweeney's interview starts just after 9 minutes.

I like the show, you don't get superstars on it and they tend to have more real stories than the likes of Gerrard talking to Carragher.  But I can't stand the waffle at the beginning.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 3, 2022, 11:23am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVpf6lfS_6g

For those looking for the video

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
friskneymariner
May 3, 2022, 11:41am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Sweeney, Conlon, Linwood and others ought to be ashamed of themselves. They’re not, of course they’re not. We’re just the mugs who paid their wages. And don’t get me started on Newell. They made mugs of us and particularly John Fenty, who, by then, should have known better.

Most people on here creamed themselves when Newell was appointed.You only had to speak to any Luton fans to learn about his antics,shows a shocking lack of due diligence when appointing him.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
buckstown
May 3, 2022, 1:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,200
Gold Stars: 79
I find it very tough to listen to that without getting angry. Mainly about the shambolic mess Fenty created and  but also the appalling waste of talent.
There was clearly a good footballer in Sweeney and at least he sounds like there's a hint of regret. But how was it allowed to happen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peter Sweeney under the cosh

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.