5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
May 2, 2022, 10:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
If you listen to the DN35 podcast you will hear that the club are going to use advisors to draw up a 5-year plan for the club.

What an absolute waste of time and money. The previous regime left them with a 5-year plan. It’s a piece of A4 paper with “get back to the Championship” written on it in big letters with no details how that would be achieved.

Why do we need another one?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
jamesgtfc
May 2, 2022, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC
If you listen to the DN35 podcast you will hear that the club are going to use advisors to draw up a 5-year plan for the club.

What an absolute waste of time and money. The previous regime left them with a 5-year plan. It’s a piece of A4 paper with “get back to the Championship” written on it in big letters with no details how that would be achieved.

Lincoln owe us a favour after we advised them on how to avoid relegation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
HertsGTFC
May 2, 2022, 11:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC

So what do you expect them to do, just turn in each day and see what happens?

Most organisations have a 5 year plan and gear their financing to that plan, it's not unusual fact it's pretty common as any bank or corporate lender would insist on it. If as they say the plan is ultimately to attract other investors this is also a must.

They have said on numerous occasions they are not experts in football and will need some expertise to help build any plan, which makes sense.

Any plan the last regime had resulted in JSF and his cabal making money at the end of it, I'd imagine that is not the primary purpose of 1878.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
chaos33
May 2, 2022, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,974
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I know you’re entitled to your opinion, and fair enough, but what a load of miserable, unrealistic cobblers. This regime have talent, vision, acumen, ambition and money. The previous regime had none of those things. They are strategists and they want results and success. Of course they’re developing a plan, and they’ll use it to measure their own progress. What do you expect/want them to do, busk it?

UTM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
jamesgtfc
May 2, 2022, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
I'm sure Golly will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong but I think his post is completely tongue in cheek...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
Limerick Mariner
May 2, 2022, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I'm sure Golly will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong but I think his post is completely tongue in cheek...

I kind of thought that was obvious and then had to reread it as I looked at the posts below it...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
TownSNAFU5
May 2, 2022, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Having a plan (it is said a bad plan is better than no plan) gives you something to aim for.  To use resources to make incremental steps towards achieving an objective over time.  You can see if you are on course or not.  A plan is standard in businesses - and even for families.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
supertown
May 2, 2022, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That’s how I read it too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
aldi_01
May 2, 2022, 12:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think people have missed Golly’s joke…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
It Bites
May 2, 2022, 12:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,258
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from aldi_01
I think people have missed Golly’s joke…

That's because some people don't read properly. They don't listen either . To busy thinking about the next argument
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
May 2, 2022, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Jokes aside this is what will truly show the difference to the Fenty era.

Getting professionals in to look into all aspects of the business and give a realistic but hopefully optimistic assessment of what could be achieved.

Money spent now will pay dividends later on.

Anybody who has lived through it or seen the Twitter feed of days gone by will know that we should be much higher in the football world than this. I am convinced that once we get on a roll we will have a future we didn't dare dream about under the previous owner, whose only ambition was to keep costs down which he did successfully at the expense of everything else.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
GrimPol
May 2, 2022, 1:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -784
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Having a plan (it is said a bad plan is better than no plan) gives you something to aim for.  To use resources to make incremental steps towards achieving an objective over time.  You can see if you are on course or not.  A plan is standard in businesses - and even for families.

Of course, there has to be a plan. 3 years 5 years 10 years. It's so the whole organisation knows what to put emphasis on.
It will cover, where GTFC get extra income from, training facilities, youth team, ladies team and stadium upgrade. It will be altered as they go along, all will change tack as these changes are proclaimed. And so it goes on.
All those will help to drive the coaching to deliver success on the pitch which then helps with extra income etc etc.
Just saying League 1 in 5 years' time is more of a wish than a plan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
Bristol Mariner
May 2, 2022, 1:57pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
How much do we owe Fenty now?

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
wigworld
May 2, 2022, 2:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
When did a 5-year plan ever get you 3 points on a Saturday afternoon?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 42
Humbercod
May 2, 2022, 5:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Is the new training ground in the 5 year plan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
GrimRob
May 2, 2022, 6:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 42
ginnywings
May 2, 2022, 7:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Tongue in cheek or not, I would say the JF and Co plan was akin to something Baldrick would have come up with, whereas the 5 year plan of Jason and Andrew will be somewhat more professional and goal orientated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Limerick Mariner
May 2, 2022, 7:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Quoted from ginnywings
Tongue in cheek or not, I would say the JF and Co plan was akin to something Baldrick would have come up with, whereas the 5 year plan of Jason and Andrew will be somewhat more professional and goal orientated.

I don’t know, I always thought Baldrick’s plan to carve one’s own name on a bullet and then keep it with you was feckin inspired…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 2, 2022, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Quoted from Humbercod
Is the new training ground in the 5 year plan?

They’ve invested in a foot pump for the balls. So yes 😉

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
MuddyWaters
May 2, 2022, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Whilst I think the owners will have a plan, I’m not sure it will be as long term as 5 years. By its very nature, a five year plan in football can change very quickly. There might be 5 year aims and targets but plans need to be nimble and amendable. Clearly, Fenty’s plans were neither of the above.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
Davec
May 2, 2022, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
It is obvious to me that the OP was tounge in cheek
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
thefish
May 2, 2022, 8:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Davec
It is obvious to me that the OP was tounge in cheek

Fabulous work as always, Sherlock!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
jamesgtfc
May 2, 2022, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Whilst I think the owners will have a plan, I’m not sure it will be as long term as 5 years. By its very nature, a five year plan in football can change very quickly. There might be 5 year aims and targets but plans need to be nimble and amendable. Clearly, Fenty’s plans were neither of the above.

Any plan has to have an element of flexibility because otherwise you become stuck if you end up at the end of it within 2-3 years.

I suspect it will be focused less on what league we are in but more about year on year improvement, the youth team producing first team players that go on to play for us and/or generate transfer fees and doing positive things in the community.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
HertsGTFC
May 2, 2022, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Any plan has to have an element of flexibility because otherwise you become stuck if you end up at the end of it within 2-3 years.

I suspect it will be focused less on what league we are in but more about year on year improvement, the youth team producing first team players that go on to play for us and/or generate transfer fees and doing positive things in the community.

Completely agree.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 2, 2022, 9:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Problem with a youth set up, even a good one, is that bigger clubs come and take your best players before they even get near the first team, ala Ben Grist. Youth development is also hindered significantly at the lower levels by a lack of a competitive reserve team set up/league. Thus getting the right level of commitment and investment into this area is very difficult to fix.

Reference Humber Cod’s point earlier in this thread about the new training ground I thought Debbie Cook, said, in an interview before Christmas, that we could expect some news on this in around 3 weeks time. I have not heard anything since nor recall this being discussed in the podcast, I may have missed it, and it seems a little strange that we haven’t had any developments in this area as yet. Thought by now an appropriate site might have been identified even if the purchase hadn’t been completed.

Anyway I’m sure work is progressing on this front as well as many others so upwards and onwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
jamesgtfc
May 2, 2022, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Problem with a youth set up, even a good one, is that bigger clubs come and take your best players before they even get near the first team, ala Ben Grist. Youth development is also hindered significantly at the lower levels by a lack of a competitive reserve team set up/league. Thus getting the right level of commitment and investment into this area is very difficult to fix.

Reference Humber Cod’s point earlier in this thread about the new training ground I thought Debbie Cook, said, in an interview before Christmas, that we could expect some news on this in around 3 weeks time. I have not heard anything since nor recall this being discussed in the podcast, I may have missed it, and it seems a little strange that we haven’t had any developments in this area as yet. Thought by now an appropriate site might have been identified even if the purchase hadn’t been completed.

Anyway I’m sure work is progressing on this front as well as many others so upwards and onwards.

We didn't get to see Grist but he still generated a decent fee. I don't know what's happened to Khouri this season but he looked alright last season. He's a player rejected elsewhere at 16 that Woods brought into the youth team. These kind of players have done alright for us in recent years. See also Mattie Pollock, Rumarn Burrell, Ryan Bennett.

I heard Keith Hill talking about Scunny bridge that gap by arranging friendlies for their young players against the Premier League U23s. I think the loan route is a good way forward. Adlard has struggled to make an impression out on loan 3 levels lower whilst Goundry has made a big impression at the same level; suggesting he is maybe ready for a step up next season. Battersby had a loan spell at Belper earlier this season and did well.

Loans at Scarborough and Boston were the making of Max Wright although what's happened since is heartbreaking and Clifton earned his stripes in the black and white of Grantham Town.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
aldi_01
May 3, 2022, 6:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Whilst I’m well aware the sodomist clubs hoover up talent, with some making others and many not, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t invest in a youth setup. Eventually Fenty will have extracted the urine enough to not take any cash made from transfers, leaving us with potential additional earnings. So what if they don’t make it to our first team…

I think the hardest thing for town fans to adapt to is having people at the top who have a plan, are prepared to invest in a plan and believe the value of a plan. It’s a refreshing change from Fenty and his yes men just sitting there happy as Larry that the club barely ticks over and barely exists…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
GollyGTFC
May 3, 2022, 8:23am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358

There have been updates on the training ground project. They have a unnamed site earmarked and are preparing detailed building plans for planning permission. It’s an open secret that their preferred location is Barrett’s Recreation Ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 42
GrimPol
May 3, 2022, 10:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from wigworld
When did a 5-year plan ever get you 3 points on a Saturday afternoon?  

When did a 5-year plan lose us 3 points on a Saturday afternoon?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 3, 2022, 9:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There have been updates on the training ground project. They have a unnamed site earmarked and are preparing detailed building plans for planning permission. It’s an open secret that their preferred location is Barrett’s Recreation Ground.

Cheers not seen or heard that must be spending too much time in the local 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
May 3, 2022, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker

I have not heard it either, and I check in every day to the Fishy and GTFC Twitter. If it has been on some podcast or other it might be prudent for the club to share important information more widely.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
HerveJosse
May 3, 2022, 10:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
In business there can be more winners then losers.If all had a well executed  plan most can be winners.
In football for every winner there has to be a loser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
MarinerDevil
May 3, 2022, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80

I have not heard it either, and I check in every day to the Fishy and GTFC Twitter. If it has been on some podcast or other it might be prudent for the club to share important information more widely.

Stockwood confirmed that it's one of three options in this interview (9:26 onwards):

https://www.facebook.com/bbcra.....GK1C&ref=sharing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
May 4, 2022, 8:21am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Stockwood confirmed that it's one of three options in this interview (9:26 onwards):

https://www.facebook.com/bbcra.....GK1C&ref=sharing

Thanks but I am not on Facebook.

Not long ago tickets went on sale I think for the Chesterfield game and the group of us that go together to the games didn't know about that till we saw reports of large queues at the ground.

I think it might be a gentle reminder to the club to ensure all club business is advertised more widely.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Les Brechin
May 4, 2022, 12:17pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174

Not long ago tickets went on sale I think for the Chesterfield game and the group of us that go together to the games didn't know about that till we saw reports of large queues at the ground.

I think it might be a gentle reminder to the club to ensure all club business is advertised more widely.

I'm no longer on Facebook either but if you click that link you can watch the video.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
forza ivano
May 4, 2022, 12:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266

https://gtfc.co.uk/chesterfield-a-ticket-information/   on the official site

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1647533214/s-new/  on the fishy

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1504465501103300618  on twitter

but no, the club aren't publicising these things widely

maybe worth suggesting to 1878 the employment of  a town crier or light planes circling around North Lincolnshire towing banners?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
pizzzza
May 4, 2022, 12:48pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Quoted from HerveJosse
In business there can be more winners then losers.If all had a well executed  plan most can be winners.

However... In football you can be a loser on a Tuesday then become a winner on the Saturday. In the football context everyone has been both a winner and a loser many times.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
May 4, 2022, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

https://gtfc.co.uk/chesterfield-a-ticket-information/   on the official site

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1647533214/s-new/  on the fishy

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1504465501103300618  on twitter

but no, the club aren't publicising these things widely

maybe worth suggesting to 1878 the employment of  a town crier or light planes circling around North Lincolnshire towing banners?

Apologies I obviously didn't look hard enough.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
GrimPol
May 4, 2022, 3:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

In the National league overall, two will be "Winners" as they get promoted, 3 will be "Losers" as they get relegated, the rest don't count, and have it to do all over again the next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
smokey111
May 4, 2022, 6:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,362
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GrimPol

In the National league overall, two will be "Winners" as they get promoted, 3 will be "Losers" as they get relegated, the rest don't count, and have it to do all over again the next season.

I am pretty sure that whoever isn't promoted out of Stockport, Chesterfield and Wrexham will have "lost", given the financial outlay.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
White_shorts
May 4, 2022, 7:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -648
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Barrett's Recreation Ground isn't a million miles from the Peaks Parkway stadium site:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5480776,-0.0822961,687m/data=!3m1!1e3

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
moosey_club
May 4, 2022, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226

You don't win many hands in cards if you show your opposition your hand before you have started the betting. JF and Co blazed both of their projects all over the telegraph and fell flat on their arris's both times, the PP site in particular.
Why advertise your plans before you actually have any as it gives your opponents time to get mobilised.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
aldi_01
May 5, 2022, 5:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

You don't win many hands in cards if you show your opposition your hand before you have started the betting. JF and Co blazed both of their projects all over the telegraph and fell flat on their arris's both times, the PP site in particular.
Why advertise your plans before you actually have any as it gives your opponents time to get mobilised.

There’s two answers really, one being that Fenty is a narcissistic twit that believes his own hype and was a legend in his own head.

The second is that they had no real idea of anything so would blurt everything out, don’t forget that Me Shut up reckoned the Conakry tasked with delivering the Fentydome we’re moments away from delivering a huge project which would make them a household name before embarking on their journey with town…another project that never happened, they had zero decorum or sense…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood & Pettit 5 year plan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.