2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 26, 2022, 7:28pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Bar a total collapse in our form in the remaining games, several players will no doubt be grabbing the attentions of other teams.

Who would you want to stay here regardless of interest?

Who would you reluctantly let go if the price was right?

Who would you not give two hoots about if they left?

Logged Online
Private Message
RonMariner
April 26, 2022, 7:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,796
Gold Stars: 226
It's probably going to depend on which division we are in  next season. If we are still in the NL the majority of the players in the squad against Torquay, plus MacAtee of course, will probably stay I imagine. Except perhaps Macca and Wright  unless Max has resolved his fitness issues..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
thefish
April 26, 2022, 8:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Bar a total collapse in our form in the remaining games, several players will no doubt be grabbing the attentions of other teams.

Who would you want to stay here regardless of interest?

Who would you reluctantly let go if the price was right?

Who would you not give two hoots about if they left?

Surely, at our level (and virtually every other level apart from the 'elite' clubs) that is the whole squad.

We'd all love to keep McAtee... but if someone comes in with a huge bid, we'd be mad not to sell him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
Roast Em Bobby
April 26, 2022, 9:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
I was talking to the old town defender Dave Worthington at the Dagenham & Redbrifge home match. He's a scout for Rochdale now. I'd seen him at a few other matches as well before I finally approached him. Asked him who he was watching, but he just said he was looking generally.

Wouldnt be too suprised if they make a play for a player or two of ours in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
GrimExile
April 26, 2022, 9:47pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I was talking to the old town defender Dave Worthington at the Dagenham & Redbrifge home match. He's a scout for Rochdale now. I'd seen him at a few other matches as well before I finally approached him. Asked him who he was watching, but he just said he was looking generally.

Wouldnt be too suprised if they make a play for a player or two of ours in the summer.

I thought Dave Worthington lived in Spain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Roast Em Bobby
April 26, 2022, 9:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from GrimExile

I thought Dave Worthington lived in Spain.

Dunno, but definitely him. I didn't recognise him at first, but he introduced himself. Have seen him at 4 or 5 times this season - always taking notes throughout the games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Poojah
April 26, 2022, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Of our out of contract players, I’d think there’s only Efete who’s likely to generate the kind of interest we’d struggle to compete with. Even then, I’m not sure he’s going to be as coveted as Magnay and Tait were after their respective season’s here.

McAtee’s the obvious uncertainty, but in our previous years in this division not many clubs came in wanting to pay money for our contracted players. I can only think of Connell to Swindon, though Hearn would have been an inevitability had he not got injured, but not many over the years either way.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
jamesgtfc
April 26, 2022, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Of our out of contract players, I’d think there’s only Efete who’s likely to generate the kind of interest we’d struggle to compete with. Even then, I’m not sure he’s going to be as coveted as Magnay and Tait were after their respective season’s here.

McAtee’s the obvious uncertainty, but in our previous years in this division not many clubs came in wanting to pay money for our contracted players. I can only think of Connell to Swindon, though Hearn would have been an inevitability had he not got injured, but not many over the years either way.

Swindon were looking at Efete the other week but like you say, I don't think he will be as coveted as Magnay and Tait.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Mariner_09
April 26, 2022, 11:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I think the bigger question is who Hursty would want to keep. All that will be determined by which league we're in. If we go up, he'll have to make a judgment on whether certain players will be up to it in the league above. There's obviously a case of what constitutes 'good enough'. Good enough to survive,or push on

Will he think Taylor can hack league football again at 34 for example?

Does Harry Clifton have enough quality to really justify being a starter in the league above?

Does he think Waterfall would be able to re-adjust again to league football after such a poor showing last season?

I think we'll have a new keeper regardless next season. Mentioned in another thread how I think Battersby is good enough to be our backup and we can spend the combination of Macca and Crocombe's wages on a genuinely top keeper at this level.

I'm pretty sure players like Efete, Amos, Holohan, McAtee are good enough for the league above.

But let's get promoted first!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
blundellpork
April 27, 2022, 5:46am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Mariner_09
I think the bigger question is who Hursty would want to keep. All that will be determined by which league we're in. If we go up, he'll have to make a judgment on whether certain players will be up to it in the league above. There's obviously a case of what constitutes 'good enough'. Good enough to survive,or push on

Will he think Taylor can hack league football again at 34 for example?

Does Harry Clifton have enough quality to really justify being a starter in the league above?

Does he think Waterfall would be able to re-adjust again to league football after such a poor showing last season?

I think we'll have a new keeper regardless next season. Mentioned in another thread how I think Battersby is good enough to be our backup and we can spend the combination of Macca and Crocombe's wages on a genuinely top keeper at this level.

I'm pretty sure players like Efete, Amos, Holohan, McAtee are good enough for the league above.

But let's get promoted first!

Waterfall was perfectly solid under Jolley. It was Holloway trying to play out like Man City that turned him, and the wider defence, into a shambles. He’s a classic lower league stopper who can tackle and head. When he’s focusing on that he’s much better.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
aldi_01
April 27, 2022, 6:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Swindon were looking at Efete the other week but like you say, I don't think he will be as coveted as Magnay and Tait.

I think Efete is decent but he has had moments of inconsistency plus the injury, Magnay and Tait were ever present and in truth, didn’t put a foot wrong really, even in their short time here.

As you say, he’d be the only one I’d imagine could generate some interest, especially from football league teams.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2022, 6:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I think the player who are out of contract will already have their agents trying to scope out their future, I would expect that they will want to have some options at the end of their current deals. Let’s not kid ourselves that they’ll all have their hearts set on a new deal at Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
aldi_01
April 27, 2022, 6:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think the player who are out of contract will already have their agents trying to scope out their future, I would expect that they will want to have some options at the end of their current deals. Let’s not kid ourselves that they’ll all have their hearts set on a new deal at Town.

Agreed, when it’s your club you think folk would sign Becauee they look at the club like you. Times are changing though, under the old regime it’s clear that we weren’t highly thought of and whilst players wanted to play for hurst, it was more about playing for PH and possibly the fans than the actual club. You’re hard pushed to find anyone say something positive about the club and how it operated.

That’s slowly changing so it could help. We have to be realistic though, if we don’t go up, we’ll be a conference club, we’re not Wrexham or Stockport spending money like it’s growing on a tree and we’re out on a limb.

I worked with Terry Fleming a few years ago, his lad was released from Villa, was offered a mad contract at Salford when they were non league or a lesser contract at Cheltenham, playing in the league…he took Cheltenham. It’s easier to get a league club when you’re playing at one already…this will naturally be the mindset of many a player at our level.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
AndyDarloFC
April 27, 2022, 5:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
From what I’ve heard, we’ve offered Danny Rose a deal for a contract after his loan ends.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 18
forza ivano
April 27, 2022, 6:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
From what I’ve heard, we’ve offered Danny Rose a deal for a contract after his loan ends.

well he's hardly likely to have many other options!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
marinerjase
April 27, 2022, 6:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Efete move on, done/doing a decent job for us, more offensively than defensively. Room for improvement - ideal for clubs looking to buy someone, bound  to have clubs looking at him.

I’d imagine he’s in our managers plans though moving forward, and he’d be looking to improve him defensively.  

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Youngy
April 27, 2022, 6:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,675
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think Hurst said recently that we have an option Efete so I'm guessing the club will take that option up first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Garth
April 27, 2022, 7:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
It's odds on we will still be non league, and as such will need to pay better saleries to players we are hoping to keep.
Hursty will have offers and may get itchy feet again, in this league it's all about success, failing that it's anybody's guess what the future holds
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
marinerjase
April 27, 2022, 7:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Not a chance Hurst goes anywhere. (Imho)

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Interest in players at the end of the season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.