5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
realist
April 25, 2022, 6:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I see the government has said it wants to trial drinking in sight of the pitch in the lower leagues. Unfortunately it comes with the caveat that it would be subject to police approval. We all know what the reaction of our modern day Gestapo would be to this proposal. It's a shame, being old enough to have enjoyed a drink during the game I think it enhances the match day experience. I remember some clubs even had bars at the back of the stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
April 25, 2022, 6:26pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
It causes no problems in Germany and other countries where they even have sellers walking through the stands dispensing beer from large tanks on their backs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 46
pizzzza
April 25, 2022, 6:29pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Never understood this "no drinking in sight of the pitch" thing. The pitch cannot see you...
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 46
blundellpork
April 25, 2022, 6:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Can’t say I’d fancy what happens in Fan Zones being replicated in the stands- we score and suddenly people throw their beers in the air, and soak people nearby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 46
ska face
April 25, 2022, 6:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from blundellpork
Can’t say I’d fancy what happens in Fan Zones being replicated in the stands- we score and suddenly people throw their beers in the air, and soak people nearby.

The kind of people you get in fanzones - the NYE drinkers of the football world - aren’t generally the people you get in the stands. Nobody’ll be chucking beer all over the seats for the same reason you don’t get covered in bovril, tea or hot chocolate every time there’s a goal.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 46
headingly_mariner
April 25, 2022, 7:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Stops people rushing to smash the pints in and rushing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 46
ginnywings
April 25, 2022, 7:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I don't particularly want to sit drinking beer while watching a football match, but we absolutely should have the option to do so.

Having been to many a cricket match and watched people get mullered on overpriced lager, I can't ever recall any trouble because of it and I would guess that a large proportion of fans who go to a test match also watch football. Everyone in the group I've been to cricket with, also go regularly to watch Town and other teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 46
aldi_01
April 25, 2022, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To be honest, I’ve been burnt twice at football through a steaming bovril, a Luke warm ale seems a better option.

To be fair, having seen football in many a country, it’s not an issue, even when twice as many folk were allowed in the stand at Verona, until the winning goal in the playoffs, j didn’t get any ale on me.

It should absolutely be allowed and then it’s up to the individual. Stops people caning it before and at half time too…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 46
Mariner Ronnie
April 25, 2022, 7:08pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
A yes from me, obviously only in certain in stands not family stands.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 46
thefish
April 25, 2022, 7:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from aldi_01
To be honest, I’ve been burnt twice at football through a steaming bovril, a Luke warm ale seems a better option.

To be fair, having seen football in many a country, it’s not an issue, even when twice as many folk were allowed in the stand at Verona, until the winning goal in the playoffs, j didn’t get any ale on me.

It should absolutely be allowed and then it’s up to the individual. Stops people caning it before and at half time too…

It wouldn’t stop me 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 46
GrimRob
April 25, 2022, 9:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
As long as it was only in certain areas, then I could go in a stand where it wasn't allowed. It's been a long time since I had a drink and I don't want to end up getting my bag and clothes soaked in beer. That's what happened last time I went to a cricket match and I have never been back, probably a decade now.

I know to most people alcohol seems like harmless fun, and it did to me once, but those days are long gone.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 46
TAGG
April 25, 2022, 9:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Bring it on I say  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
Madeleymariner
April 25, 2022, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Trouble is people will still be caning it before games look at any Town Centre on a Sat night, people have all day to mdrink but now they start at 10pm and shovel it down till legless. Piffheads will be piffheads whatever the rules and I prefer not to have them stood near me showering me with their drinks.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
aldi_01
April 25, 2022, 11:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Trouble is people will still be caning it before games look at any Town Centre on a Sat night, people have all day to mdrink but now they start at 10pm and shovel it down till legless. Piffheads will be piffheads whatever the rules and I prefer not to have them stood near me showering me with their drinks.

Trouble is, people always look at the minority rather than the bigger picture…

Literally every other country allows drinking in the stands except us…nobody is forcing anyone to drink…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
pizzzza
April 26, 2022, 6:40am

Pontoonite
Quoted from aldi_01

Literally every other country allows drinking in the stands except us

Not true
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
aldi_01
April 26, 2022, 8:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Not true

All the major footballing countries across Europe allow drinking in the stands…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
quebec38
April 26, 2022, 9:18am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I think there is a difference between a cup of tea with a lid on and a pint without, in terms of safety. Let’s not forget that a pint will impair your judgement, which can’t be said for a cup of tea. You’re tightly packed at the football, I wouldn’t fancy a pint down the back of my neck.

People would also be up and down even more for the toilet and drinks. There also seems to be a bit of an issue coming back in atm with missiles from the crowd, thankfully not at BP. Even at the Fury fight on Saturday a pint was thrown towards the ring during the fight. I appreciate the few shouldn’t be able to spoil it for the majority though.

Having said all that, other sports seem to manage just fine so maybe something could be learnt from the cricket and rugby, or they different demographics? Would a drinking stand be an option?

It would be nice if people who wish to have a drink at football could do it safely, however it wouldn’t bother me if I couldn’t. Never realised I had so many thoughts on the subject! Ha.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
MarinerWY
April 26, 2022, 10:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Yeah I'm not convinced by it tbh. I'd take less draconian restrictions on ticket numbers, pubs, early kick offs etc surrounding the game, I can do without a pint mid match, and without getting drenched in beer or people coming and going obstructing my view cos they are still thirsty or have broken the seal or whatever.

Beers would get thrown, it happens in the concourse before the game so would happen during. And even if you designated a drinking area, chances are that would be the most vocal, rowdyest area - so you have to choose between being in the vocal section (something we always want to do) and putting up with beer being lobbed and all the other stuff that comes along with it.

It's 45mins, happy with it being booze free tbh.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
April 26, 2022, 10:18am
Guest User
I'm on the end of a row, I'm up and down like a f**king whack-a-mole as it is. Love pre-match beers, not that I get the chance to do that these days, but it's only 45 minutes ffs. Nah.
Reply: 18 - 46
Sweden
April 26, 2022, 10:22am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +318
Gold Stars: 8
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
Poojah
April 26, 2022, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Sweden

That’s absolutely brilliant.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
Phil the cod
April 26, 2022, 3:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Can we have at least one place were we can enjoy 90 minutes of football without having to listen to drunken idiots causing problems and other related issues, such as obnoxious, I'll mannered, selfish behaviour, we already have a disproportionate number of "divvy's" sat in our stand spouting absolute garbage.
The people of this country don't know how to behave in a civilized manner when they've had a few beers, yes,they are allowed beer in games in Germany,but Germans don't want to fight everyone,urinate all over,and cause problems after 2 pints like our morons.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
jamesgtfc
April 26, 2022, 3:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Phil the cod
Can we have at least one place were we can enjoy 90 minutes of football without having to listen to drunken idiots causing problems and other related issues, such as obnoxious, I'll mannered, selfish behaviour, we already have a disproportionate number of "divvy's" sat in our stand spouting absolute garbage.
The people of this country don't know how to behave in a civilized manner when they've had a few beers, yes,they are allowed beer in games in Germany,but Germans don't want to fight everyone,urinate all over,and cause problems after 2 pints like our morons.

You can go to a non-league game in the Northern Premier or below and watch the game with a pint in your hand. All of this is done by many people and in a civilised manner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
Phil the cod
April 26, 2022, 3:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You can go to a non-league game in the Northern Premier or below and watch the game with a pint in your hand. All of this is done by many people and in a civilised manner.

Maybe so, but I'm basing my opinion on experiences of the drinking and violence culture of Grimsby and Cleethorpes. There's too many people in this town that can't behave when they've had a drink, it's a shame because we should be able to get a pint if we want to and watch the game,but alas,I can guarantee it will cause trouble.
There's a few idiots near us in the lower that can't walk in a straight line they've had that much to drink before the game, constantly bumping into people and up and down the aisles like a yo-yo. But hey,so long as they're happy, doesn't matter about spoiling the game for the decent fans.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
pizzzza
April 26, 2022, 3:46pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from Phil the cod
we already have a disproportionate number of "divvy's" sat in our stand spouting absolute garbage.

Suggest you delete your post, that term does not mean "drunk", it is a derogatory term for something else. Although as the resident wind up merchant you are most likely well aware of that.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
Phil the cod
April 26, 2022, 3:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Suggest you delete your post, that term does not mean "drunk", it is a derogatory term for something else. Although as the resident wind up merchant you are most likely well aware of that.

Don't think so, we still have freedom of speech and thought in this country.
If you don't like it block me Vladimir. As it happens I originally typed something far worse,but it was auto corrected to "divvys" so, blame the system.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
pizzzza
April 26, 2022, 4:04pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from Phil the cod

Don't think so, we still have freedom of speech and thought in this country.
If you don't like it block me Vladimir. As it happens I originally typed something far worse,but it was auto corrected to "divvys" so, blame the system.

Jeez, well done...  

Go on then, show us how brave you are... override your autocorrect and tell us the "far worse" thing you originally typed Mr Freedom of Speech
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
Phil the cod
April 26, 2022, 5:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Jeez, well done...  

Go on then, show us how brave you are... override your autocorrect and tell us the "far worse" thing you originally typed Mr Freedom of Speech

Maybe your hysterical overreaction is evidence of the need to not allow drinking in the stands at football?
Like you say, I'm obviously a "wind up merchant" as you seem to have risen to the bait .
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
TonySmith
April 26, 2022, 5:30pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
   I live in Atlanta Georgia, so I'm not only a GTFC fan of over 50 years, but also an Atlanta United season ticket holder. There is absolutely no issue there with drinking a pint (or two or even three) while watching the game. In fact, they even sell hard liquor if you've a mind to sip on a tasty whiskey or whatever. I have never seen any behavior issues as a result of this. If there have been any, they are rare and minor. Perhaps the real issue is not the alcohol itself.

By the way, I'm heading over to England for a couple of weeks later today, for the first time since before the pandemic hit, and it just so happens I'll be in London on Saturday and Grimsby on May 7th. Already got tickets for the games and really looking forward to seeing the boys bag 6 points!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
pizzzza
April 26, 2022, 5:46pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from Phil the cod

Maybe your hysterical overreaction is evidence of the need to not allow drinking in the stands at football?
Like you say, I'm obviously a "wind up merchant" as you seem to have risen to the bait .

Don't worry about me, no overreaction here, although I do think you using the term "divvy" is in extremely poor taste. There are a significant number of Town supporters that would be deeply offended by that.

Also you still have not posted that thing that you wanted to post that (what you say) was far worse. Has Mr Freedom of Speech censored himself perhaps?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
Phil the cod
April 26, 2022, 6:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Don't worry about me, no overreaction here, although I do think you using the term "divvy" is in extremely poor taste. There are a significant number of Town supporters that would be deeply offended by that.

Also you still have not posted that thing that you wanted to post that (what you say) was far worse. Has Mr Freedom of Speech censored himself perhaps?

The only town fans that would be offended by the word "divvy" are,well.......divs.and there's plenty of them were we sit,you only have to listen to some of the comments they come out with.
Maybe people shouldn't be so fragile.
If anything I say offends anyone.......tough sh.t, don't give a f.ck you see.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
realist
April 26, 2022, 6:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I had to look up “divvy” as I didn’t know it’s meaning. Apparently it is slang for a foolish person. I cannot see how that is offensive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
HerveJosse
April 26, 2022, 7:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Back to the thread subject I would suggest getting a pint to my seat in the Upper Findus/youngs etc would be a logistical nightmare and the queue for the toilets that blocks the access even longer. Not feasible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
aldi_01
April 26, 2022, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Back to the thread subject I would suggest getting a pint to my seat in the Upper Findus/youngs etc would be a logistical nightmare and the queue for the toilets that blocks the access even longer. Not feasible.

You ever been in an Italian ground?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
samg
April 26, 2022, 9:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Unless we significantly improve our access to the bar and the urinal facilities then it's a no from me - I'm not paying for a season ticket to miss 3/4 of the game just for a beer and a p*SS!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
HerveJosse
April 26, 2022, 11:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from aldi_01

You ever been in an Italian ground?

Yep
Roma v Lazio to preoccupi d trying to stay alive to worry about a beer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
Mariner_501
April 26, 2022, 11:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Give adults the option. Simple
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 27, 2022, 1:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
I think the easy answer is to sell it before the game and at half time and allow it to be consumed in the stand. Don’t sell during the match

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
aldi_01
April 27, 2022, 5:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Yep
Roma v Lazio to preoccupi d trying to stay alive to worry about a beer

Then you’ll know they manage…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
It Bites
April 27, 2022, 7:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,258
Gold Stars: 266
Simpletons will not be able to control their behaviour
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
aldi_01
April 27, 2022, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Simpletons will not be able to control their behaviour

Here he is…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
ska face
April 27, 2022, 9:13am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Some absolutely hysterical reactions in here. Supposedly you can have a beer at the back of the stand which is fine, but move 10ft into the stand and suddenly you’re likely to just start dumping it all over people. Because that’s what people do in every bar, pub or club - get a drink, throw it at someone, everyone comes out drenched.

Also the same problem at clubs one step down in the pyramid and below (and even at some grounds in this division IIRC?), everyone just gets a drink, walks back to their seat, chucks it at the nearest person. Full pint over the head. Then get up, walk back to the bar & repeat. Make sure you do this constantly too.

What you’ll also find is the effects of alcohol consumed outside the view of the pitch, before or during the match, mysteriously vanish as soon as you’re in your seat. So you can be absolutely píssed as a fart, belligerent, foul-mouthed and spewing, but because you can’t drink in your seat at the moment, it makes no difference. Drinking IN your seat though, entirely different matter.  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
TownSNAFU5
April 27, 2022, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
There are 2 big advantages to fans repeatedly buying pints and throwing them over people.  The Club make more money and the "fans" will not keep disturbing other fans by going to the toilet, as they will not have drunk anything.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
mariner91
April 27, 2022, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Don't see why people think having the option to drink in your seat will change anything at all. The people who get drunk at the games already will continue to and the people who don't want to won't. Nothing changes because you can see a field with 22 blokes kicking a ball about on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 27, 2022, 1:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
Don’t see the problem with all the drinking issues.

Notts police said that everyone was on coke at county

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
RobDef1
April 27, 2022, 6:54pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
As a recovered alcoholic/addict I absolutely do not see a problem with this. I've never understood the strange fascination our country has with keeping beer away from grass. As for beer getting chucked about, well that can be dealt with I guess. You have to be 18 years old to purchase alcohol so at 18 you should be able to keep it confined to your own body.

On another note, a lot of trouble at football, believe it or not, is actually stoked by the fact fans that have had a drink don't currently have one in their hand. Taking out the necessity to knock back 5 pints pre-match, then endure a boiling hot 45 minutes before gulping another 2 or 3 at half-time, followed by another red hot emotional 45 minutes would go a great deal towards reducing aggro in the stands, I reckon.

UTM

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
mimma
April 30, 2022, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The bars will be closed during the game, so you can only take beer with you that has been bought before kick off. It would stop the bar emptying at one minute to three and having to miss the first five minutes of the game because of fans leaving at the last minute and taking their seats. Same at half time, it is a pain to constantly get up to let people in that have been to the bar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Drinking in stands

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.