Kris2
April 21, 2022, 1:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Stew0_0
Can someone please tell me what Scannell gives to the team instead of Sousa?
On Monday Sean got on the ball, ran at their defence with little pace and lost position. He then put the ball well wide from a position where he had the keeper to beat. He seems to be a player who for a wide man has not a great deal of pace and stamina for the modern game. In Sousa at least he offers trickery, pace and an unpredictable nature if only his final ball and goals return was better.
In short I wouldn't consider Scannell for a new contract nor a regular spot in the team moving forward. However Hurst sees something in him and Sousa seems frozen out atm

Sousa is frozen out because he can't finish as you say. Does all the hard work then fluffs the easy bit over and over, this is why he's at this level. Scannell wouldn't be anywhere near us if he didn't have the injury problems he's had. From what I've seen of Scannell, which admittedly isn't much, he's impressed. I guess if your opinion of a player is based on how exciting and fast they are then Sousa is our best player but I prefer results and all round quality. Unless Sousa can prove himself when it comes to finishing chances and train hard in that part of his game then I'm confused how he's expected to be a L2 player.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 123
MuddyWaters
April 21, 2022, 6:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stew0_0
On Monday Sean got on the ball, ran at their defence with little pace and lost position. He then put the ball well wide from a position where he had the keeper to beat. He seems to be a player who for a wide man has not a great deal of pace and stamina for the modern game. In Sousa at least he offers trickery, pace and an unpredictable nature if only his final ball and goals return was better.
In short I wouldn't consider Scannell for a new contract nor a regular spot in the team moving forward. However Hurst sees something in him and Sousa seems frozen out atm

Wow. You’re judging a footballer on an isolated incident on a bobbly pitch. Watch the Stockport game back and you’ll see the difference between Sousa and Scannell. Scannell tracks the opposite full back as well as going forward, the defensive side of Sousa’s game is pretty much non existent.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 123
Northbank Mariner
April 21, 2022, 7:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,566
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Stew0_0

No pace?..he's pretty quick if you watch him closely, he's one of those clever players who slows down then puts in a burst of pace to best his man, has quick feet too and is physically stronger than Sousa.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 123
golfer
April 21, 2022, 7:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,451
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from 123614

Aren't stats wonderful, now can you prove to us that Scannell is only fit for 35% of a season?

100% - 65%  =  35%   simple
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 123
April 21, 2022, 8:29am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the last six seasons Scannell has started on average less than 10 League games a season and so far this season has only started 3.

But how many of those games was he injured, or purely not selected by the Manager, give me some proof, not speculation!

Reply: 54 - 123
jamesgtfc
April 21, 2022, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,113
Gold Stars: 191
Quoted from 123614

But how many of those games was he injured, or purely not selected by the Manager, give me some proof, not speculation!

Since the end of the 2015-16 season he hasn't managed to play in half of the games of any season and has played in less than 100 competitive games for whatever reason during what is supposed to be the prime of his career and that is a concern.

Contrast that with the period 2007-2016 where he played the majority of most seasons and amassed just under 300 competitive appearances.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 123
oochiad
April 21, 2022, 9:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,727
Gold Stars: 28
Scannell is miles ahead of Sousa for end product and skill plus his experience. He’ll prove to be a huge asset in the run in I’m sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 123
Hagrid
April 21, 2022, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,524
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wow. You’re judging a footballer on an isolated incident on a bobbly pitch. Watch the Stockport game back and you’ll see the difference between Sousa and Scannell. Scannell tracks the opposite full back as well as going forward, the defensive side of Sousa’s game is pretty much non existent.

you and I are both big Scannel fans, and have advocated his inclusion for a long time, but i disagree about Sousa's defensive game being non existent, he does work hard getting back
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 123
Swansea_Mariner
April 21, 2022, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from 123614

Is it me or is this a bit of a vacuous argument.

Not fit or deemed not good enough to be selected still equals hardly any games for about five seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 123
acko338
April 21, 2022, 11:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Why not let him just play and hopefully prove his worth to season end??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.