6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
petethemariner
April 19, 2022, 2:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Do posters think that injury aside Macca has played his last game for the club?
I find it a bit strange that he seems to have been frozen out for a few months, ok I know his form was only moderate this season and Max has been a steady replacement, but you have to wonder if there has been some sort of fall out behind the scenes.
Anyway if he has played his last game I want to pay tribute to a keeper who has always  worn the shirt with pride and pulled us out of the do-do too many times to remember, ok he has made a few howlers as well, but that's the life of a keeper.
Many lost some respect after he put in a transfer request after being what he felt was unfairly dropped, I for one didn't and still retain respect and gratitude for what he has done for this club, as I am sure do the majority of Town fans.
If we don't we you again in a GTFC shirt Macca, thanks and good luck for the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jaws
April 19, 2022, 2:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Something has definitely gone on. He's not even helping with the keeper warm up on match days any more. Was he with the squad yesterday or at Chesterfield?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
TAGG
April 19, 2022, 2:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Jaws
Something has definitely gone on. He's not even helping with the keeper warm up on match days any more. Was he with the squad yesterday or at Chesterfield?

He may have been at Chesterfield, that's why he wasn't with the squad at King's Lynn I recon

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
Poojah
April 19, 2022, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
I don’t think it’s all that strange. He got dropped, for the second time in two seasons, because he wasn’t playing particularly well - same as any outfield player would.

His replacement has come in and on balance, done a better job than the one he was doing. As such he remains out of the team.

I did wonder if he might get a run out if our last couple of games were dead rubbers, but the way it’s shaping up even if we’ve secured a play-off place before the end of the season, it’s likely there will still be an event of positional advantage to play for.

He’s been a fantastic servant to this club and a great ambassador at times - it’s a real shame if his Town career peters out like this but footballing decisions, nor those in any line of business, should be made on the basis of sentiment.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
GollyGTFC
April 19, 2022, 2:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
He was at Kings Lynn yesterday and on the pitch prematch but Battersby was the main warm up partner for Crocombe.

I took what Hurst said a few weeks ago about Battersby going to away games as an indication that McKeown is now number 3 choice.

I think we’ve probably seen the last of him in a town shirt.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 54
sam gy
April 19, 2022, 2:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Crocombe was given a chance and hasn't particularly given Hurst a reason to drop him, we don't name a keeper on the bench ever.

Macca is a seasoned pro with a family...no point taking him away from them on massive trips with overnight stays ie Weymouth, when there's little to no chance of him getting on the pitch. May as well give Ollie the experience of travelling.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
petethemariner
April 19, 2022, 2:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Totally agree that sentiment shouldn't come.into it, he was dropped, probably rightly by the manager for indifferent form, it just seems such a dramatic fall from grace for someone who was not so long ago captain and is  now barely seen
Lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
petethemariner
April 19, 2022, 2:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Sorry about the lol that appeared at TBE end of my post - no idea where that came from!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 19, 2022, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Macca will always be one of my all time favourites

But is it possible crocombe is underated because of that good will we all feel for macca. Not that anyone has said crocombe should be dropped, just that he doesnt seem to get much praise but he does always seem to be doing all the right things
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
diehardmariner
April 19, 2022, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Hurst is notoriously ruthless and this is just another example of it, in the right way too.

McKeown's form hasn't been good enough over the last 18 months.  It's that simple.  As much of a car crash as last season was, McKeown was particularly poor.  At no point should we forget his contribution over the last 10 years but we can't be ruled by sentiment.  Crocombe has done better than McKeown and is an upgrade, I don't think he's the answer long term but an improvement he is.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.