6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
April 1, 2022, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
So Portugal are in Pot 1 but the winner of the other Euro playoff is in Pot 4?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
pizzzza
April 1, 2022, 11:45am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
In one way it matters more about the make up of the other groups rather than who else ends up in England's group. If we get lucky with the draw then the path to the final could open up like a dream (as it did last time), you'd have to back England to qualify from the group no matter who they draw. In fact you could argue that it might be a good thing to get a tough pot 2 team in England's group along with a weak pot 3 & 4 team. Then you cannot face that tough team again until the final (as with Belgium in 2018 ).
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 1, 2022, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
With this england team I dont feel like I need to worry about an easy group, just want some good games, england germany would be great if the rest of the group was a bit easier but something like netherlands, senegal, canada would be good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
Poojah
April 1, 2022, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Still not feeling this one. I had similar reservations about the World Cup in Russia, and that in fairness turned into one of the most enjoyable one in decades, in spite of what the Russia has gone on to do in recent weeks. This one though, you've got the human rights issues, the lack of any discernible football culture out there, and then the November / December timing - it just all feels wrong.

Maybe I'll feel differently when the time arrives, I genuinely think this young England team is about to peak and we have a real chance of winning it, but for now it's definitely all a bit 'meh'.

If I got to choose our group stage opponents it would be USA, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. Worst case scenario would be Netherlands, Senegal and Cameroon, though I'd still expect us to make it through that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
jaygy
April 1, 2022, 12:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I think what added to the excitement last year and most tournaments was we were in full summer mode, the normal season was over, beer gardens were full and everyone wanted their football fix. Will it be the same in november/December?

Also at what levels will league football stop for a world Cup winter break?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
LH
April 1, 2022, 12:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
There’s always going to be at least one other decent team in the group anyway and P2 looks quite strong. If we do get a very strong P2 draw then we’d maybe want to avoid Senegal or Poland in P3. I’d want to avoid the UEFA play off winner in 4 and possibly too Canada who qualified top in the North American quals and were unbeaten against USA and Mexico in qualifying (beat and drew with both). Very true that it depends on the brackets after the group stage.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
supertown
April 1, 2022, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
the humidity and temperature is going to have a massive say on performance, I just hope all the players survive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
bedders78
April 1, 2022, 2:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from supertown
the humidity and temperature is going to have a massive say on performance, I just hope all the players survive

They have better odds than the poor lads that built the stadiums

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
Poojah
April 1, 2022, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from supertown

The temperature during games is set to be between 18 and 24 degrees; cooler than a vast majority of previous World Cups. That is of course only due to the farcical scheduling of the tournament in the run up to Christmas.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
pizzzza
April 1, 2022, 3:28pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Son of Cod
So Portugal are in Pot 1 but the winner of the other Euro playoff is in Pot 4?

Its based on FIFA rankings rather than on how you qualified
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Draw

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.