This thread currently has 2,051 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
March 31, 2022, 6:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Agent fees spent by Non-League clubs between February 2021 and January 2022.

Town spent £29,783 in agent and intermediaries fees between February 2, 2021, and January 31, 2022, we were the sixth highest spending non-league club during that period.

[img]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/article6889249.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_agentsJPGjpgAgen.jpg[/img]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
March 31, 2022, 6:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Revealingly, bearing in mind the comments the other day about Solihull signing a player we were after, Solihull spent more on agents than we did.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
ginnywings
March 31, 2022, 7:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Revealingly, bearing in mind the comments the other day about Solihull signing a player we were after, Solihull spent more on agents than we did.

Yeah, I noticed that.

The list of the biggest spenders is not really surprising and is reflected in league positions.

A lot of people say that throwing money at it doesn't always work, but it seems to be working the way you'd imagine it would in the National league, although Halifax and Boreham Wood seem to be bucking that trend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
KingstonMariner
March 31, 2022, 8:38pm
Meths Drinker
Just noticed Dagenham are quite big spenders too. More fuel to the spend big to do well impression. Though Yeovil let the argument down a bit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
aldi_01
March 31, 2022, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, I noticed that.

The list of the biggest spenders is not really surprising and is reflected in league positions.

A lot of people say that throwing money at it doesn't always work, but it seems to be working the way you'd imagine it would in the National league, although Halifax and Boreham Wood seem to be bucking that trend.

The book ‘soccernomics’ outlines this perfectly, essentially supporting the comments of ‘teams that spend the most win the most’ with statistics and evidence. That said, it also indicates that scouting and well thought out recruitment is key as well as spending.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
GrimRob
March 31, 2022, 10:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
We weren't actually non-league for all of the period. Considering the number of players we have got through in the last 12 months, it's a bumper time for agents, and divided by all the players we have brought it isn't that much!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 16
jamesgtfc
March 31, 2022, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GrimRob
We weren't actually non-league for all of the period. Considering the number of players we have got through in the last 12 months, it's a bumper time for agents, and divided by all the players we have brought it isn't that much!

I don't think we signed anybody during that initial period though did we so our first transfer of that period was after relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
KingstonMariner
March 31, 2022, 11:10pm
Meths Drinker
There doesn’t have to be a transfer fee to trigger a payment to an agent. It’s probably just connected with a player signing and related to the player’s wages like with a recruitment firm. I suspect Rob is right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
diehardmariner
April 1, 2022, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
It's done from winter transfer window to winter transfer window so I don't think there's not that many we signed whilst a Football League club that will be included in that.

I've had a quick look and the only two I can see we signed after the 1st Feb were Giles Coke (due to registration issues) and Julien Lamy (free agent).  I could be wrong but I can't imagine they broke the bank in terms of agents fees.

I work out 15 permanent transfers since relegation, is an average of £2k a player standard?  I dunno...

Do we pay agents fees to loan clubs as well?  I'd hope not but you never know.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
jamesgtfc
April 1, 2022, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
It's done from winter transfer window to winter transfer window so I don't think there's not that many we signed whilst a Football League club that will be included in that.

I've had a quick look and the only two I can see we signed after the 1st Feb were Giles Coke (due to registration issues) and Julien Lamy (free agent).  I could be wrong but I can't imagine they broke the bank in terms of agents fees.

I work out 15 permanent transfers since relegation, is an average of £2k a player standard?  I dunno...

Do we pay agents fees to loan clubs as well?  I'd hope not but you never know.

Our agent fees rank highly in the division and we've made a similar number of permanent signings to Dag & Red. Notts County meanwhile have made 7 permanent transfers and Solihull have signed 5 players permanently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Non-League agent fees Feb 2021 to Jan 2022

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.