7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
March 22, 2022, 10:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Don't very often comment on home games as there are loads with far better insight than me but...
It took us a while to get going and although it was a great move with a good finish our goal was against the run of play.
Second half the proper team came out and for 30 minutes we pressed them, picked up no end of second balls and but for some real bad luck-Clifton's post smack and the deflection off JM-Ds goal bound effort we'd have won comfortably.
Agree with Hagrid regarding losing Efete being the game changer. Maguire-Drew was knackered and the combination of the defensively weak Sousa and a (very good) centre back moved to right back gave them all the encouragement needed to exploit the chink in our defensive armour and we were undone. I thought Taylor was very good tonight. He covered an incredible amount of ground but what he decidedly wasn't was a goal threat. Hoolahan made an encouraging start and Amos particularly second half was excellent.
The negative points are clear to see unfortunately. Our set pieces especially corners are absolutely woeful. I counted five on the spin that ended up comfortably in the keepers hands. We must be a goalkeepers dream. Although I praised Clifton and JM-Ds efforts we certainly do not get enough shots away. The over elaborate nature of our build up is very frustrating.
Just heard Crofty on RH saying ,and I paraphrase, that our play-off bid is basically built on a couple of new players who are still finding their feet and a couple more coming back from injury. It's hard to disagree on tonight's showing.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
Maringer
March 22, 2022, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
This team does have an incredible ability to turn wins into draws and draws into defeats - at least in the games against the 'better' teams in this league. It doesn't matter if we're playing well or indifferently. We miss the chances and then give away soft goals.

A bit tricky tonight given the injury problems as we lost the balance when Efete went off and then Holohan and Clifton were just knackered for the last 25 minutes or so. JMD was doing OK when he was taken off but he was knackered as well. No midfield options available to change things, but I certainly think that McAtee and Taylor could have been hooked with 20 minutes to play. Another one of those games where McAtee didn't really get involved and Taylor was too isolated again. Both showed decent touches on occasion but not very effective for most of the game.

I've been thinking for a while we're only a couple of players away from being a pretty decent side at this level, but we keep signing new players and things don't improve. Ultimately, I don't think it is Hurst's reticence to make changes at the right time (though that has an impact), as much a case as the shape of the team which just isn't working. The amount of space they found in midfield during the first half especially was just embarrassing tonight and what's the point of playing this way if we don't score enough goals and don't keep them out at the other end?

As always, I'll complain that we're still lacking pace as well. They had a few players out there tonight who were faster than all our players until, perhaps, Sousa came on. When you start with a team in which Clifton, a central midfielder-cum-winger is the only one who can shift to any degree, you're not going to force the errors or take advantage of the spaces well enough.

I still have a feeling we'll sneak into the play-offs, but as it stands, it would be a minor miracle if we were to get to the final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
barralad
March 22, 2022, 10:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from pontoonlew
How long before people accept that our terrible form against decent sides isn’t bad luck, but poor management?

I’ve supported Town for over 20 years and remain convinced there’s not been a manager more frustrating than Hurst. There’s been excrement ones, there’s been 1-2 good ones but there’s definitely not been one as frustrating. He can spot a decent player, build a good cohesive squad etc but why is he so intent on making the same errors every single week? I’ve seen it for years, it’s a constant cycle. Negative approaches to games, good players left out and consistently shite substitutions. The issue now is the fact the teams aren’t as poor as our last visit here and they’re finding him out every week.

Rapidly falling out of love with it all, purely because of its infuriating predictability.

I get your frustration but there was absolutely nothing negative about the way we set up tonight. We had full backs who were comfortable going forward and a midfield that harried and pressed high up the pitch. Some of the attacking football played in the second half was right up there amongst the best we've played all season.
You're probably not on your own with your school of thought. There were loads in the Pontoon bemoaning Hurst's "late" substitutions but he took JM-D off with plenty of time to go.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
TwoLeftFeet
March 22, 2022, 10:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,101
Gold Stars: 19
Couldn't understand taking Smith out of the centre thought he was having a good game partnering with Waterfall..should have dropped Clifton to right back.. letting Sears go and then not replacing him didn't understand it at the time and still don't now..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Couldn't understand taking Smith out of the centre thought he was having a good game partnering with Waterfall..should have dropped Clifton to right back.. letting Sears go and then not replacing him didn't understand it at the time and still don't now..

That was never gonna happen.

JMD wasnt fit enough for a full 90, so moving clifton to right back would have meant Sousa on, and then noone to replace JMD with as he’d not put Scannell on the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
jamesgtfc
March 22, 2022, 10:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Credit to Solihull for exploiting our weakness after the injury to Efete. Desperately short on numbers at the back now and feel for Smith because he played well at CB.

Second goal looked like a free header but I suppose they all are when the striker is 6ft9. What frustrated me most about the winner though was that it was something we don't do enough. We are too slow so don't get to hit good teams on the break. Keepers first thought after getting the ball from our attack was to throw it wide and start a counter-attack.

Weird game. I was certain there was going to be a sending off in the second half based on the first half but Solihull calmed right down. More than enough chances to win the game and I think JMD should have had a penalty. We've got to be more clinical because at 2-0 I think we would have comfortably seen that game out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
ginnywings
March 22, 2022, 10:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Hagrid

JMD wasnt fit enough for a full 90, so moving clifton to right back would have meant Sousa on, and then noone to replace JMD with as he’d not put Scannell on the bench

Which highlights how tinpot this league is in only allowing 5 on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
bobbyturtle
March 22, 2022, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Hagrid

abrahams

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from bobbyturtle

abrahams

He isnt a winger.

And then we’d just chuck square pegs in round holes at PH.

For what its worth Manni or Abrahams should have been on for Taylor with at least 20 to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 22, 2022, 11:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Hagrid
How did we lose?

Another game against a Play Off Rival in which we shouldnt have lost and somehow did.

First half Solihull impressed, We got the goal against the run of play.
2nd half, we started well, hit the post, missed chances.
Game changed on Efete. Smith isnt a right back. Solihull exploited it, we left a big lump on his own in the box twice and he finished twice.
Should we have changed it? Not sure, JMD was shattered, sousa on was a standard change. PH already getting pelters on twitter- as im Sure PontoonLew is gonna be on here blaming him.

We didnt deserve to lose, bad luck and rank bad defending cost us that. Pure and Simple. End result- we just cant find ways to put games to bed, and its cost us

A good summary.  No matter what some people might say we deserved to win that game, like we did against Halifax Chesterfield and Notts.

The injury and JMD having to be taken off cos he was flagging cost us the game.

My only criticism is not putting teams to the sword when well on top.

It's still all to play for and I hope we get a bit more luck against an in form Dagenham at the weekend.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.