Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back in the Car.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

Just Back in the Car.

This thread currently has 4,458 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
barralad
March 19, 2022, 5:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Decent result in a game that in all honesty wasn't much of a spectacle. Town were by far the most attack minded but came up against a goalkeeper in very good form who first denied Mcatee in a virtual one on one and then produced a brilliant save from an equally superb effort from substitute Maguire-Drew. Borehamwood are a big physical side who nevertheless fell over under challenge with monotonous regularity.
First half was almost devoid of efforts on goal. Town were easily the best side in the second.
Special mentions to Waterfall (again),  Coke and Amos who pushed forward to great effect. Some of the link up play involving Mcatee Sousa and Amos was excellent.
If we don't get in the play offs it won't be because we "only" got a draw here.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
March 19, 2022, 6:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,799
Gold Stars: 226
And an illustration of the lack of quality of one of the teams above us.

With the exception of Stockport I think we can beat any of the promotion contenders on our day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
March 19, 2022, 6:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
About the most interesting thing in the first half was the low flying red kite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
forza ivano
March 19, 2022, 6:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
thought borehamwood were very poor - they were timewasting after about 20 minutes - wtf was that about? big, bruising and bloody useless.
thought efete and sousa  didn't work well together - too many poor passes.Amos had acres of space in the 2nd half and used it well
don't quite see what burgess offers.
waterfall was excellent (as usual) but smith was motm - was really really good
ps remain to be convinced that we can't get a better keeper than Crocombe ,but was decent today. As my cousin pointed out if McKeown had been in goal i suspect there would've been far more scary moments
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
March 19, 2022, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
From listening to the radio it sounded like we deserved to win, but a good point nevertheless.

Massive week coming up; we would all be over the moon with two wins, but 4 points would keep us right in the hunt after a difficult set of matches. Should be good attendances this week so let's go for it and get the ground rocking.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2022, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RonMariner
And an illustration of the lack of quality of one of the teams above us.

With the exception of Stockport I think we can beat any of the promotion contenders on our day.

But we need to start having our day if we’re going to get in the top 7.

I thought we where the better side for sure but we weren’t great and squandered some decent opportunities.

Not an easy place to get a result for sure so a clean sheet away versus a team above you is always decent but we needed to be more clinical and play with more tempo to get us anywhere near where we all want to be.

Like I say a decent point on the road though!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
sutton mariner
March 19, 2022, 8:08pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Boring first half hoofing it long in vain. Second much better. Seems we’re just always better playing football. Never sure why we don’t ever set up to play ball away from home and insist on ‘finding teams out’ in the first half. Just means we only have 45 mins to actually go and win the game half the time. Job done today though, will take that.

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
louth_in_the_south
March 19, 2022, 8:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
First time I’ve seen Town since Aldershot after the ups and downs since then was looking forward to seeing them .
A win would’ve been well deserved as we had the best of the game and dominated for periods in both halves . 2 clear chances in the second half were missed so had to settle for a point against a side who I thought would be a lot tougher test . In fact BW were average at best and just relied on physical and time wasting tactics .
Smith at CB looked really good and can see him keeping his place on that performance. In fact I’d like us to sign him but don’t know if that’s an option. Amos is another decent player who defends well and combines well going forward at pace . Should’ve earned himself a contract extension. Good to see MD in action and can see he’s got that bit extra quality in his left foot . Very unlucky with a curling shot going in the top corner saved well . Still think Clifton would be better used in the middle with coke and a more natural wide man out there like Scannell.
Not disappointed with a point and if we keep playing like that we could give ourselves in the playoffs.

760 away fans was another superb following to a pretty non event type of place like BW 👍👍

TheBW owner must be pi.she’d off financing the club when so few locals turn up.  The club deserves more as it’s a decent little ground in the town centre.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Sussexmariner
March 19, 2022, 9:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Game was there to be won, only one team in it in the second half.
Sorry to bring up the old chestnut up but Hurst and his timing for the substitutions, Sousa and Taylor had OK games with Sousa the odd decent run in the first half but Taylor was mostly ineffective all game not his fault but against 2 huge centre half’s he was never going to get the better of them. Town looked better with Drew on and in the short time he was on the pitch did far more than Sousa did.
Why wait so long for the change? The game was there to be won, I don’t know why Scannell never started?  surely he deserve to keep his place at least we all know he can provide quality crosses that we clearly lacked all game.

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 19, 2022, 9:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
First time I’ve seen Town since Aldershot after the ups and downs since then was looking forward to seeing them .
A win would’ve been well deserved as we had the best of the game and dominated for periods in both halves . 2 clear chances in the second half were missed so had to settle for a point against a side who I thought would be a lot tougher test . In fact BW were average at best and just relied on physical and time wasting tactics .
Smith at CB looked really good and can see him keeping his place on that performance. In fact I’d like us to sign him but don’t know if that’s an option. Amos is another decent player who defends well and combines well going forward at pace . Should’ve earned himself a contract extension. Good to see MD in action and can see he’s got that bit extra quality in his left foot . Very unlucky with a curling shot going in the top corner saved well . Still think Clifton would be better used in the middle with coke and a more natural wide man out there like Scannell.
Not disappointed with a point and if we keep playing like that we could give ourselves in the playoffs.

760 away fans was another superb following to a pretty non event type of place like BW 👍👍

TheBW owner must be pi.she’d off financing the club when so few locals turn up.  The club deserves more as it’s a decent little ground in the town centre.

Very good post and I apologise for previous nastiness. It was unwarranted. x
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
GrimRob
March 19, 2022, 10:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Hard to believe that BW were a) at home, b) above us in the table. They approached the game as though we were a division higher than them. Hopefully, we will be next season.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 16
louth_in_the_south
March 20, 2022, 6:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96

Very good post and I apologise for previous nastiness. It was unwarranted. x

When I saw you had quoted me I was actually looking forward to seeing what abuse was coming my way so pretty disappointed to see this response. Feel free to say what your really thinking ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
pen penfras
March 20, 2022, 9:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HertsGTFC

But we need to start having our day if we’re going to get in the top 7.

We'll likely be in the top 7 even if we lose to those above us because our last 6 games are the easiest out of everyone's. But if we can't beat them it seems basically futile getting to the playoffs because our record is so poor against the better teams
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Hagrid
March 20, 2022, 9:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pen penfras

We'll likely be in the top 7 even if we lose to those above us because our last 6 games are the easiest out of everyone's. But if we can't beat them it seems basically futile getting to the playoffs because our record is so poor against the better teams

I’d say Notts are easier considering they have dover twice.

I think we’re in good form and if we get through the next 2 with 4 points i fancy us going to Chesterfield and getting something
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Son of Cod
March 20, 2022, 10:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Agree with pretty much everything said in this thread. Any other day McAtee buries that second big chance he had. Probably Amos' best performance that I've seen, albeit his delivery into the box let him down a few times which is surprising as it's probably been one of the most positive parts of his game so far in a Town shirt. I think with him and Crookes we have a couple of left backs good enough for a promotion race, I'd have them both signed up for next season pronto if they aren't already (can't be bothered to check that right now). Over on the other side of defence though, I'm becoming less and less convinced by Efete who put in a urine poor performance yesterday. Gave the ball away needlessly so many times when we were on the front foot. Not for the first time, we saw McAtee visibly frustrated with the lack of intelligence down that right hand side. Sousa and Efete are essentially just runners. The sooner JMD is match fit the better as it's clear to see he's a cut above Sousa and did more in ten mins than Sousa did all match. As has been said, Smith and Waterfall were dominant for the entire match, didn't give them a sniff until Burgess saved the day with a superb block late on. Hard match for Taylor to come back into too, feeding off scraps of which a lot were aerial punts, but had two giants deployed against him.

Decent result on paper, but ultimately it's two points dropped. However, it's a point that will look a lot better if it's backed up with a victory over Solihull on Tuesday who I think are gonna come to BP and give us a proper game.

Quoted from Hagrid

I’d say Notts are easier considering they have dover twice.

I think we’re in good form and if we get through the next 2 with 4 points i fancy us going to Chesterfield and getting something

Yep Notts have the easiest run in, think they only had 3 of the playoff/auto contenders to play and 1 of them was Daggers yesterday so only 2 now. We've got 4 left I believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
diehardmariner
March 22, 2022, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Sussexmariner
Game was there to be won, only one team in it in the second half.
Sorry to bring up the old chestnut up but Hurst and his timing for the substitutions, Sousa and Taylor had OK games with Sousa the odd decent run in the first half but Taylor was mostly ineffective all game not his fault but against 2 huge centre half’s he was never going to get the better of them. Town looked better with Drew on and in the short time he was on the pitch did far more than Sousa did.
Why wait so long for the change? The game was there to be won, I don’t know why Scannell never started?  surely he deserve to keep his place at least we all know he can provide quality crosses that we clearly lacked all game.

In agreement with this.  Hurst made his subs too late.  I was disappointed that we didn't run at their fullbacks a bit more.  Sousa had Fyfield on toast in the first five minutes and then we stopped playing the ball out to him.  Both Amos and Efete were bombing onto quite good effect and I felt it was crying out for someone from a wide area to take advantage of the space created.  Sousa drifted out of the game and Clifton isn't a winger.  

Equally so in the middle of the park it was too much of same and same from Burgess and Coke.  Burgess is the one who wants to press on but (and I don't take pleasure in saying this) but Coke is a bit of a hindrance now.  He slows the play down and if I'm being brutal gets in the way at times.  I understand Coke's value against teams who may dominate in midfield, but Boreham Wood were not that team.  They completely bypassed their midfield at every opportunity.   Burgess pressed more in the games when he's had a more mobile partner alongside him.   Even still I'm not sure he's the type who is naturally going to push on every time.  It's repeating lots of what is always said but moving Clifton inside looked the most obvious move to me.  

Up top McAtee drifted in and out of the game and he really should have done better with two of his chances.  Taylor looked rusty, not quite sure I understand pushing him back into the starting eleven ahead of two guys who are match fit and have done well in recent weeks.  

On paper a good point away at a promotion rival.  On the day, 2 points lost.  Boreham Wood were there for the taking and the better teams in this division would have gone there and turned them over.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 2:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from diehardmariner

In agreement with this.  Hurst made his subs too late.  I was disappointed that we didn't run at their fullbacks a bit more.  Sousa had Fyfield on toast in the first five minutes and then we stopped playing the ball out to him.  Both Amos and Efete were bombing onto quite good effect and I felt it was crying out for someone from a wide area to take advantage of the space created.  Sousa drifted out of the game and Clifton isn't a winger.  

Equally so in the middle of the park it was too much of same and same from Burgess and Coke.  Burgess is the one who wants to press on but (and I don't take pleasure in saying this) but Coke is a bit of a hindrance now.  He slows the play down and if I'm being brutal gets in the way at times.  I understand Coke's value against teams who may dominate in midfield, but Boreham Wood were not that team.  They completely bypassed their midfield at every opportunity.   Burgess pressed more in the games when he's had a more mobile partner alongside him.   Even still I'm not sure he's the type who is naturally going to push on every time.  It's repeating lots of what is always said but moving Clifton inside looked the most obvious move to me.  

Up top McAtee drifted in and out of the game and he really should have done better with two of his chances.  Taylor looked rusty, not quite sure I understand pushing him back into the starting eleven ahead of two guys who are match fit and have done well in recent weeks.  

On paper a good point away at a promotion rival.  On the day, 2 points lost.  Boreham Wood were there for the taking and the better teams in this division would have gone there and turned them over.

well they havent lost at home so not sure on that
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back in the Car.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.