Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ska face
About 6 or 7 years before that

Quality.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted đŸ„ł
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
aldi_01
March 7, 2022, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Neither side were any good and anyone that cared about town could see that the club simply existed with little else, no ambition,  no direction, no ideas
Lincoln saw teams by pass them and didn’t like it. Made changes, created a brand and a club people wanted to support and haven’t looked back since

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
tashee69
March 7, 2022, 9:20pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +963
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from aldi_01
Lincoln saw teams by pass them and didn’t like it. Made changes, created a brand and a club people wanted to support and haven’t looked back since

So Lincoln getting relegated into non league and then struggling near the bottom/mid table for 5 seasons was part of that “not looking back” đŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 7, 2022, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
About 6 or 7 years before that

Looks like someone disagreed with you. Care to confess to the red cross with a reason anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
ginnywings
March 7, 2022, 9:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
That was the day I had a burst water main and was digging up my garden to repair it whilst hearing the cheers from my house for every goal that we scored.

Still got the unused ticket pinned up in my kitchen.

So yeah, depressing for me at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
ginnywings
March 7, 2022, 9:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33
Clinical depression is hell. Trust me, I can tell you. 😞

I hear you bud. Been there myself.

Keep jumping those hurdles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
aldi_01
March 8, 2022, 6:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from tashee69

So Lincoln getting relegated into non league and then struggling near the bottom/mid table for 5 seasons was part of that “not looking back” đŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł

And then they did what? Saw teams by pass them, had a plan, investment and ideas, but also wanted to do more than exist. They made sure when they went up they stayed up.

Laugh all you like, Lincoln literally raced passed us at a rate of knots and haven’t looked back since
they’ve been a proper rival and even less so now

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
thornemariner
March 8, 2022, 7:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
That was the day I had a burst water main and was digging up my garden to repair it whilst hearing the cheers from my house for every goal that we scored.

Still got the unused ticket pinned up in my kitchen.

So yeah, depressing for me at least.

I know the feeling. I'd barely missed a game home and away in months aggravating what became severe bronchitis and for a near zilch return.

I went abroad for a few weeks to catch some sunshine and was actually coughing up blood when the 5 1 score came through, just after I'd managed to see a doctor.  A bit of me didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
dapperz fun pub
March 8, 2022, 10:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 83
Lincoln got lucky they gambled on the cowleys and it worked out very well for them I don’t think no magic wand was waved. I know they’ve built a new training facility and they’ve engaged the public like never before but i fully expect to be playing them in the foreseeable future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
diehardmariner
March 8, 2022, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
You make your own luck don't you?

The appointment of the Cowley's was a good decision, it's that simple.  They were progressive managers with an approach that was streets ahead of the league they were in at the time and in the space of a summer transformed Lincoln from a mid-table also ran side into a side that finished top.  From 61 points to 99 points doesn't come via luck alone.  That came from good signings, excellent adoption of sports science, tactical maturity and making sure the side had every possible advantage possible.

Of course there's an element of luck to every managerial appointment.  On paper you can bring someone in that looks like a quality decision, a few injuries and that can easily change.  But even if we're accounting for a little bit of luck under the Cowley's, what followed is anything but.  Success brought new bums on seats, a well run club keeps those bums on seats and takes advantage of the feel good factor.  That's the difference between Lincoln since their promotion back into League Two and our promotion.

They may well be in the same league as us soon.  I've said before I think their bubble will burst before long.  But with a progressive approach, good training facilities and a board with the ability to bring in fresh investment, they're certainly in a better position than 6 years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
March 8, 2022, 4:32pm
Guest User
Who cares about Lincoln depression, we are 1 place off the playoffs and top of the National League Form Table.  There ain't no depression here mate!  UTM!
Reply: 12 - 30
FishOutOfWater
March 9, 2022, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from thornemariner

I know the feeling. I'd barely missed a game home and away in months aggravating what became severe bronchitis and for a near zilch return.

I went abroad for a few weeks to catch some sunshine and was actually coughing up blood when the 5 1 score came through, just after I'd managed to see a doctor.  A bit of me didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It was an unbelievable end to the game mate

The Imps got back in it with an iffy penalty but then we just went crazy, scoring with nearly every attack; Proudlock and JLAA on fire for once

If you want I can give you a more comprehensive report but you'll probably end up spitting feathers  

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 30
NorfolkImp
March 9, 2022, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Lincoln got lucky they gambled on the cowleys and it worked out very well for them I don’t think no magic wand was waved. I know they’ve built a new training facility and they’ve engaged the public like never before but i fully expect to be playing them in the foreseeable future

Care to share that prediction Dapperz 
 1, 3, 5 years or a decades time?

Whilst we look forward to Derby County next season, there’s a fair chance you’ll be facing Dorking  Wanderers?

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
March 9, 2022, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Whilst we look forward to Derby County next season, there’s a fair chance you’ll be facing Dorking  Wanderers?

You make it sound like you are about to qualify for the Champions League. On the back of a few good years, you are 18th in league 1 for goodness sake. We will be meeting you again in the league soon enough.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2022, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

You make it sound like you are about to qualify for the Champions League. On the back of a few good years, you are 18th in league 1 for goodness sake. We will be meeting you again in the league soon enough.

You’ve changed your tune. On another thread you were implying we’ve got no chance.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
March 9, 2022, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You’ve changed your tune. On another thread you were implying we’ve got no chance.

Are you sure it was me? I have been generally supportive of the way we have been playing. Like most posters I am able to change my mind as circumstances change but I cannot recall saying we have got no chance.

What post are you referring to? I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2022, 11:13pm
Meths Drinker

Are you sure it was me? I have been generally supportive of the way we have been playing. Like most posters I am able to change my mind as circumstances change but I cannot recall saying we have got no chance.

What post are you referring to? I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else.

How about the one in the just back thread when you said

“ I wonder after all these years in the game why Hurst does not have a plan B - ie not just make like for like changes but move personnel about and change formation whilst also bringing fresh legs on?

Having said that most subs this season have had very little effect and sometimes made us worse. It's a conundrum that him and his coaches will have to sort out as it is becoming a real problem.  With Scannell JMD and Manny on the bench it surely gives options to really shake things up if it is not going well?

One suggestion would be if we go behind in the second half immediately take the holding midfielder off and change to a more attacking formation.”

Doesn’t sound like the views if a man with a lot of confidence in our prospects.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
March 9, 2022, 11:22pm
Vodka Drinker

How about the one in the just back thread when you said

“ I wonder after all these years in the game why Hurst does not have a plan B - ie not just make like for like changes but move personnel about and change formation whilst also bringing fresh legs on?

Having said that most subs this season have had very little effect and sometimes made us worse. It's a conundrum that him and his coaches will have to sort out as it is becoming a real problem.  With Scannell JMD and Manny on the bench it surely gives options to really shake things up if it is not going well?

One suggestion would be if we go behind in the second half immediately take the holding midfielder off and change to a more attacking formation.”

Doesn’t sound like the views if a man with a lot of confidence in our prospects.

Oh that's flipping pathetic. That is just a reasonable comment in reply to another poster about the game and particularly the substitutions.

How on earth does that equate to weve got no chance?

You are seeing things that aren't there and trying to justify a complete fabrication on your part.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
aldi_01
March 10, 2022, 7:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
It’ll be at least 2 years before we play Lincoln again. Never been a derby game mind.

League positions aside, we’re a million miles away and instead of being critical or snide about them, if fans opened their eyes to what they’ve done you’d be more than happy if that’s how Town ended up.

We only ever came up because Hurst had an eye for a player, assembled a squad that wanted to play for him, and the fans to some extent and that is all.

The board lacked ambition, as was shown the moment we went up. We never had the biggest budget, we still picked up players on the cheap and the board had seemingly zero respect or acknowledgement for the squad that eventually took us up, instead offering embarrassing contracts which saw them all disappear leaving us with people like Scott Vernan instead of Podge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Maringer
March 10, 2022, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,645
Gold Stars: 189
Lincoln are our oldest rivals - we've played them pretty regularly (in the Lincs Cup, at least) since the two clubs were formed at a similar time during the 19th century! Until Scunny turned up in the 1950s, they were our closest League club. How can a match against them not be a Derby? It's a match against our nearest historical rivals in the same county as us.

If you read Bob Lincoln's book which covers the first 30 years of the club, you'll see more mentions of the Imps than any other team we faced by a long chalk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
aldi_01
March 10, 2022, 9:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Lincoln are our oldest rivals - we've played them pretty regularly (in the Lincs Cup, at least) since the two clubs were formed at a similar time during the 19th century! Until Scunny turned up in the 1950s, they were our closest League club. How can a match against them not be a Derby? It's a match against our nearest historical rivals in the same county as us.

If you read Bob Lincoln's book which covers the first 30 years of the club, you'll see more mentions of the Imps than any other team we faced by a long chalk.

May be it’s the lack of games against them until very recently when we essentially ended up being equally as excrement as then, living there didn’t help. The folk I usually conversed with in pubs were Lincoln fans rather than the premier league ‘fans’.

I’ve never really felt anything against Lincoln but each to their own I guess. I know we played them significantly more times than Scunny but to be fair, I can’t stand Hull. More disdain for them outweighs that of scunny and Lincoln.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
Maringer
March 10, 2022, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I've never been bothered about Scunny as rivals, truth be told. I've always taken more pleasure in Hull losing. Perhaps it's something I've picked up from my Dad who really doesn't like the place or the locals after living there for a year or so! I was just a baby at the time so can't remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
FishOutOfWater
March 10, 2022, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Maringer
I've never been bothered about Scunny as rivals, truth be told. I've always taken more pleasure in Hull losing. Perhaps it's something I've picked up from my Dad who really doesn't like the place or the locals after living there for a year or so! I was just a baby at the time so can't remember.

I bet you're relieved to have got out of Hull before you picked up their local accent Maringer  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 30
Maringer
March 10, 2022, 2:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Born in Cleethorpes, moved there as a baby (in Anlaby, apparently) but only for a year or so.

I durrrrnt think it has affected me long-turrrm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
diehardmariner
March 10, 2022, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Your next 3 fixtures are huge.   In fact it's not a particularly kind run-in at all.  Majority of games against teams with promotion ambitions or those wanting to pull you into the battle at the bottom.  Added to that your form isn't exactly inspiring, especially against those around you.

Always one team that gets dragged into it at the bottom and gets caught short.  Might want to wait until you're safe before you start crowing.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 10, 2022, 3:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
Born in Cleethorpes, moved there as a baby (in Anlaby, apparently) but only for a year or so.

I durrrrnt think it has affected me long-turrrm.

Did you live on Anlaby Reeeeeeerd?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 10, 2022, 5:57pm
Meths Drinker

Oh that's flipping pathetic. That is just a reasonable comment in reply to another poster about the game and particularly the substitutions.

How on earth does that equate to weve got no chance?

You are seeing things that aren't there and trying to justify a complete fabrication on your part.

It’s just one example of your posts in this vein. The inference of all this is that we won’t be going up any time soon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
Civvy at last
March 10, 2022, 6:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,207
Gold Stars: 131

It’s just one example of your posts in this vein. The inference of all this is that we won’t be going up any time soon.

I thought that was the general opinion anyway. !!  Most are quick to criticise anyone not happy at where we are at the moment. Pointing out we are having to start all over again, how hard it is to get out of this league, always some team with a sugar daddy etc etc.
All valid points. But it’s not easy to accept.  I do accept where we are, and why, but it doesn’t stop me being disappointed and I do expect to see improvement season on season.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
March 10, 2022, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker

It's not. Even the post you quoted gives no reference whatsoever about not going up anytime soon.

I'm convinced you are mistaking me for another poster.

I repeat I have been very complimentary about our performances.

Of course if you go back far enough you will find me saying things that most of us have said from time to time, but I make no apologies for anything said on a football forum as we are commenting on things in real time.

Why you have highlighted something that doesn't exist I have no idea.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Depression starts here

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.