Private Message
It Bites
March 2, 2022, 9:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,259
Gold Stars: 266
Good bloke , Brian Laws . Some of the football we played under him in that Bonetti season was superb . Very underrated Town manger untill that punch
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
denni266
March 2, 2022, 9:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Enjoyed every second of that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
moosey_club
March 2, 2022, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from It Bites
Good bloke , Brian Laws . Some of the football we played under him in that Bonetti season was superb . Very underrated Town manger untill that punch

Wholeheartedly agree...continued the Buckley style but with a bit more urgency and bite. Some cracking matches in that era.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
aldi_01
March 2, 2022, 10:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Always think Laws has had a excrement deal from town fans since that incident, when, in truth, bonetti seemed to be a bit of a girl private. Was it right? Probably not but I don’t think that should mean town fans forget some of those games and not look back fondly on the Laws spell…

Whatever happened to player managers…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
livvo
March 2, 2022, 10:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
Sounds like Ivano deserved a slap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 2, 2022, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Ivano was before my time but the impression I get from people I speak to is that he is a legend on the basis of that post-match injury, the fact we crowdfunded him and that he was playing for decent Italian teams like Juventus and Sampdoria only a few years earlier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 2, 2022, 10:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Ivano was before my time but the impression I get from people I speak to is that he is a legend on the basis of that post-match injury, the fact we crowdfunded him and that he was playing for decent Italian teams like Juventus and Sampdoria only a few years earlier.

He was a legend because quite simply he was probably the most talented player in a Town shirt for a long time.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
aldi_01
March 2, 2022, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He was a legend because quite simply he was probably the most talented player in a Town shirt for a long time.

He was on another level really and it’s clear to see why he played for those clubs…

I went to sampdoria the other year for the derby. Visited the club shop to purchase a scarf and was met with a huge image of that samp team with Ivano in it…was bonkers to think he came to play for us…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
pizzzza
March 2, 2022, 10:43pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from livvo
Sounds like Ivano deserved a slap

As amiable as Laws seems during that interview do remember that it is only one side, his side, of the story.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
Poojah
March 2, 2022, 11:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Name me another Town player who has played in the final of the European Cup / Champions League. The first European Cup final I can remember watching as it happens - Ivano wears the number 11 shirt.

https://youtu.be/UJKaqiS637M

3 years later he was playing for Town.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
codcheeky
March 2, 2022, 11:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Poojah

Name me another Town player who has played in the final of the European Cup / Champions League. The first European Cup final I can remember watching as it happens - Ivano wears the number 11 shirt.

Garry Birtles
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 2, 2022, 11:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Gary Birtles.

Gascoigne was starring for England at Euro 96. Fast forward 6 years and he's playing for Burnley and then Boston 2 years after that. I absolutely get it; his ownership was a bit similar to that of Tevez and Mascherano when they went to West Ham which adds to the whole story and he had played for some very good clubs and on one of the biggest stages so I get it.

A Tranmere blog says this about him: Tranmere fans loved Ivano Bonetti for what he represented in a spiritual sense; for what he could have been, not for what he actually was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Poojah
March 2, 2022, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Gary Birtles.

Gascoigne was starring for England at Euro 96. Fast forward 6 years and he's playing for Burnley and then Boston 2 years after that. I absolutely get it; his ownership was a bit similar to that of Tevez and Mascherano when they went to West Ham which adds to the whole story and he had played for some very good clubs and on one of the biggest stages so I get it.

A Tranmere blog says this about him: Tranmere fans loved Ivano Bonetti for what he represented in a spiritual sense; for what he could have been, not for what he actually was.

It was more than spiritual for me.

https://youtu.be/3JlSDEOXDlY

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 2, 2022, 11:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

He never played more than 70 games before moving on and never scored more than 3 goals in those spells. We were his most prolific spell though which does leave a sense of "what could have been" I guess.

Unfortunately my only memory of him at Blundell Park is when he brought his Dundee side in pre-season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 3, 2022, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

As cathartic as that goal was (we battered em but somehow their goal remained inviolate apart from that once), more iconic for me was the game at Charlton were he performed wonders and laid the ball on a plate for that bloke who went on to manage Bradford. He could probably have taken it himself but chose the better option.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
aldi_01
March 3, 2022, 6:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
It’s no doubt Ivano’s legend has grown since he left, that was always likely to happen but when you really look at it, he was flipping brilliant and regardless of how he ended up here and how it ended, I’m just thankful I got to see it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
pen penfras
March 3, 2022, 7:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He was far too good for us. I assume attitude was the reason he ended up here, but he was on another level to everybody else I've ever seen in a Town shirt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
aldi_01
March 3, 2022, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Macca tells a great story of how he and some of the others were being taken over to Italy for a massive game (could be the Milan derby, not entirely sure though) by ivano after the Luton game…they never went…

He talks about how they all had their bags packed, we’re buzzing and the usual stuff, the way Macca tells it is brilliant and there’s a genuine disappointment in his voice and eyes when he tells it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
ex-merseymariner
March 3, 2022, 7:42am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I wouldn't go that far, he was a really good player. But people forget that he played a similar number of games for us as Andy Todd or Martin Paterson. Half a season or less.

He was like a really successful loanee, but different as so exotic, unique, in that we paid for him, like an early crowd funder, and that made him seem more permanent. He certainly brought media attention in many ways.

Of course the incident with Laws really shortened his time.  We've really heard very little about it even now.

Maybe compare him with John Oster who soon after did so well so quickly we were able to sell him for 1.5 million.  I'm a big Oster fan, and he was a similar type of player, and he came back for a 2nd spell, and his sale enabled AB to rebuild a successful side.

Ivano, some good memories, but Ford, Gilbert, Oster, Childs ahead of him for me for multiple reasons.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
NorthseaMariner
March 3, 2022, 8:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Cannot believe how good the Town pitch looked in those days.
As for Ivano, he was brilliant and I enjoyed every minute he played. He could put low powerful crosses in, onto Livo’s head for him to score, even though Livo didn’t see it coming. Great memories.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
forza ivano
March 3, 2022, 4:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
as you might guess Ivano, for me, was the most talented footballer i've seen in atown shirt, and this is now my 50th season.
The WBA goal/game still makes the hairs stand up - was the greatest occasion/atmosphere/feeling i've ever experienced at BP
It only took us 15mins at Charlton to realise we had got something special
He could turn full backs both ways , like he did with Welsh international Mark Bowen at Norwich.
At Birmingham they doubled up on him, but still couldn't stop him
the football we played under Laws, especially when he graced the team, was by far the best I've ever seen

He, and the team, were just a joy to watch. great days
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Mayaman
March 3, 2022, 4:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from pizzzza

As amiable as Laws seems during that interview do remember that it is only one side, his side, of the story.

Macca mentions it in his book.  I think the chicken wings story was to make it look more like an accident.   Read between Brian's lines in this interview couple with the fact that he said that he give is his all during the game, he obviously was miffed with a grown man sulking and clocked him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
diehardmariner
March 3, 2022, 4:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from forza ivano

the football we played under Laws, especially when he graced the team, was by far the best I've ever seen

He, and the team, were just a joy to watch. great days

This.

Buckley before and after takes all the plaudits for many of us (those maybe not fortunate enough to see the teams of previous decades) but the Laws side often gets overlooked, I guess with justification as it never achieved promotion and ultimately the end of Laws' tenure was a disaster.

Completely echo those earlier posts about Laws evolving the football from what we had under Buckley.  It's not a popular opinion but it had become a bit stale under AB and we had become a little predictable.  92/93 was peak Buckley with a 9th finish that really should have been a play-off place. 12 points off the top 6 in the end but a very disappointing end to the season.  March we picked up  just 4 points from 21.  April was better with 4 consecutive wins to make it 12 from 18 before consecutive defeats in May to end the season (albeit against Champions Newcastle and 3rd placed Portsmouth).  

But overall we ran flat at the end.  16 points from the final 15 games (45 points).  Over the course of the season that would have given us just shy of 50 points.  That season the bottom side, Bristol Rovers, finished with 41 points with Cambridge and Brentford both going down with 49.

The next season, Buckley's final full season, for long periods we threatened to make a play-off challenge and then fell away when it mattered.  The final 7 games brought 4 points but more alarmingly just 2 goals.   We'd got a reputation as a nice side to watch but one without any real bite.  

The fans were getting restless and it began to show on the gates.  The start of the next season they really dwindled after a good opening number against Bolton and ironically when we looked a bit more free flowing and scoring more goals.  But it felt like the damage was done and I can recall Buckley often bemoaning the lack of fans at games in a style that wasn't ever going to bring people back.

Although it did take a bit of adjusting, Laws really kicked us on.  We looked more ruthless, more aggressive in our play and we mixed it up when we needed to.  10th in his first season, largely without his main striker (Clive Mendonca) who I don't think played all that season but you could sense something special was brewing.  

Next season we bumbled about a bit but then Autumn onwards it just went crazy.  For a 4-6 week period I honestly thought we were going to get promoted, again this was all without Mendonca.   It wasn't just the results but the way we were attacking teams.  I think it's easy to get caught up in the nostalgia of Ivano as a player, he was good but I wouldn't say he was that good.  He was lazy, a bit stroppy and didn't want to work for the team.  But it fitted what we had.  Laws had got a side (party inherited/partly brought in and also partly evolved) that could accommodate a luxury player), Ivano fitted that role perfectly.  

It's a common myth that the Luton incident burst the bubble, as the form had dipped off a bit before then but had we looked at this as a long term thing rather than an overnight one, I think Laws would have kicked the club on as genuine challengers.  That might have been with or without Ivano.

Alas, we'll never know.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
KingstonMariner
March 3, 2022, 5:22pm
Meths Drinker
Fair points DHM. You have to take the rough with the smooth and you have to say that in the final analysis Laws’ man-management let himself  (and the club) down. Spectacularly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
HerveJosse
March 3, 2022, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 144
I remember him as the best crosser of a ball I have seen play regularly love. Came in incredibly fast, flat and accurate.How you strike a ball like that I don’t know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
moosey_club
March 3, 2022, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
I remember him as the best crosser of a ball I have seen play regularly love. Came in incredibly fast, flat and accurate.How you strike a ball like that I don’t know.

That's one of the things that stands out with top players, especially the wingers, that whip and accuracy,  other than Ivano , when we played Blackburn in the cup  Emerton (I think ) on their wing was pinging in similar deliveries with only half a yard of space.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
moosey_club
March 3, 2022, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

That's one of the things that stands out with top players, especially the wingers, that whip and accuracy,  other than Ivano , when we played Blackburn in the cup  Emerton (I think ) on their wing was pinging in similar deliveries with only half a yard of space.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
moosey_club
March 3, 2022, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Overall I think i would file Ivano under cult hero rather than legend.  For only a brief period  he captivated the town, not just the fans but the townand to some degree the wider area and even nationally/ internationally.
It seemed as if every pub in town was doing a fundraising night, every corner shop had a name card on the go.
It was brief , it was amazing , it was a roller coaster, highs lows and left you feeling sick at the end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2022, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
He was a really good player to be playing for us with a strong pedigree and a cult figure, hero to some.

It was great while it lasted but the length of time it lasted means he could never be labelled a Town legend.

Shane it ended like it did as we where half decent at the time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2022, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He was a really good player to be playing for us with a strong pedigree and a cult figure, hero to some.

It was great while it lasted but the length of time it lasted means he could never be labelled a Town legend.

Shane it ended like it did as we where half decent at the time.

Exactly this - wasn't here long enough to be remembered as a legend but one of a number of very talented footballers who played for us in the 80s and 90s. I'd actually forgotten that he only played 19 times for us - quite an impact!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Laws & Bonetti

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.