1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
February 9, 2022, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
If you sign Burgess because he is a more positive going forward option in midfield and then don’t play him against Kings Lynn at home when Fox is out and you have two holding midfield players in midfield and in Clifton a left winger who is really a left wing back/ full back or midfielder ( I am still not sure ) and bring him on for 10 minutes then presumably you now don’t rate him or have no balls which is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2022, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Agree to a certain extent, surely a game that we should be winning is the opportunity for a player like this. Especially given the effects of Saturday which certainly seemed to affect some performances last night.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
Son of Cod
February 9, 2022, 6:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Isn't he more of a #10/McAtee kind of attacking mid/forward?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
forza ivano
February 9, 2022, 6:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HerveJosse
If you sign Burgess because he is a more positive going forward option in midfield and then don’t play him against Kings Lynn at home when Fox is out and you have two holding midfield players in midfield and in Clifton a left winger who is really a left wing back/ full back or midfielder ( I am still not sure ) and bring him on for 10 minutes then presumably you now don’t rate him or have no balls which is it?

i wonder if it's one of those occasions where Hurst has jumped in to get someone in, who was potentially half decent, but is then almost instantly redundant because the far,far superior Raikhy has become available
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2022, 7:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse

First of all I'm going to address your Clifton point. He's a great player to have in the squad because he can do a half decent job in a number of positions. Says everything about the quality of our recruitment last season that he was better than the 3 supposed left backs we had. He's best utilised in our squad when we need to be defensively switched on.

The issue in the centre of the park for me is that Hurst has picked the wrong man as captain. When fit, I believe the the captain should be playing but this causes a problem when the captain is a weak link in the team.

It's very difficult to judge a player that is limited to 10 minute cameos. In my opinion, last night would have been the ideal game to give him half an hour at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
IlkleyMariner
February 9, 2022, 8:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Seems like a long sentence. But he could escape from the delights of the seaside if he don’t play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
RichMariner
February 10, 2022, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
Every now and again we make a signing where I immediately think 'won't see much of him'.

Must say, I thought it when we signed Burgess. Appreciate we probably needed another midfielder at the time, and I know we need to anticipate injuries but yeah, I wonder if we'll see much of him at all.

Clifton is a box-to-box central midfielder. Think he's a great asset to have at this level. He can play in loads of positions (to very good effect) but if he's playing wide left, wide right or at full back, to me it seems like he's plugging a gap. I hope we see him more in the middle.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Burgess

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.