1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Roots To The 92
February 8, 2022, 5:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +73
Gold Stars: 1
Hi all, Southend fan here in peace.

Thought you might like to know that when you come down to Roots Hall on Fri Feb 18th one of our former player guests will be Dave Worthington

Dave joined Southend from yourselves in December '73 and played over 100 times for us before moving on to be Cambridge City player manager in June 1977. He was always a crowd favourite with his fully-committed displays. Of course, he played for yourselves over 300 times so I'm sure is regarded as a Mariners legend and no doubt when we introduce him on the pitch just before kick-off he will wave towards the away fan area in the North Bank too..

I sit on the board of the Southend United supporters group The Shrimpers Trust and my main role is running the Southend United Ex Players Association (SUEPA) which now has 355 ex players members (including Dave, his brother Bob, and one or tow other ex Mariners like Stuart Brace). I met Dave and Bob up at The Shay back in September when we played Halifax (both also played for the Shaymen) and they were in great form.

If you care to look on the SUEPA Facebook and Twitter pages the day after the match there will be plenty of pics up of Dave's visit. Dave was part of our team in 75/76 which went on a great cup run (we don't have many) and will be joined by his old team mates Andy Ford and Kenny Foggo.

Anyway, good win for you guys at Notts I see - we are (after three years of utter dross) finally starting to turn the corner with a top management team now in place, some decent recent signings from lower leagues, and just as important finally too some good structure behind the scenes which has really helped. So it should be a competitive match - we are due to have circa 8,000 at home this eve (it's a fiver to get in tonight as a special) and if form continues a similar gate might apply on Feb 18th.

I'd be interested to know if you have a former players group - I network with many at other clubs but have not seen anything set up to date for Grimsby

Cheers, Andy

Logged Offline
Private Message
IlkleyMariner
February 8, 2022, 7:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Dave Worthington.  Legend. Think he still lives around Halifax.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Gaffer58
February 8, 2022, 7:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Stuart Brace, the first supersub!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
mimma
February 9, 2022, 11:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Thank you Roots. We have been doing something similar for years, having ex players back and meeting fans. I'm sure Dave Worthington and Stuart Brace have been back here before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2022, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Always think there are a lot of similarities between us 2 clubs. I remember a few Division One games against you over 20 years ago yet here we both are in non-league after years of mismanagement.

All the best for this season and beyond; except for when we meet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
exiledmeggie
February 9, 2022, 11:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 19
Dave Worthington, Legend!
But Brace is ACE!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Ruston AT
February 9, 2022, 1:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +427
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Dave Worthington, Legend!
But Brace is ACE!

Quite right Wortho is a legend, many a time I heard in the Barret Stand " Grass him Wortho".  And when Stuart Brace went on a maze run it was "open the gates" or was that  Jackie Lewis, golden days!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
moss_side_mariner
February 9, 2022, 3:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Anyone remember the testimonial match where Dave was rolling around off the ball with his brother?

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › V Southend Feb 18 and Dave Worthington

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.