5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
February 4, 2022, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
there was some mention of players with contracts that trigger an extension clause if they play any more games. Could be that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
arryarryarry
February 4, 2022, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from pen penfras

Twice last season when Holloway dropped him and then Hurst did for Eastwood.

The request was to do with the Bignot reign being chaos, not being dropped.

And Hurst told him to find a new club, so what else was he supposed to do? Even if it was after the point he was told "actually, you can stay since we have principles etc", then it's hardly like he'd want to stay around a circus that treats you like that.

I was speaking to someone who works at the club and I was told that McKewan has been told he can leave and that possibly another keeper may be brought in to be above him in the pecking order so he probably may have played his last game for Town.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
goldenfish
February 4, 2022, 1:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
If he’s been given the heads up that he won’t be playing much or at all  , and club going in different direction GK wise … what’s wrong with asking to see if anybody wants him … the club know what he can do after 10 years , he’s fought for and won the number one shirt for a decade .. certainly don’t see it as throwing any toys anywhere .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
Madeleymariner
February 4, 2022, 2:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
I think he could well end up at a league 2 club if he goes.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
jamesgtfc
February 4, 2022, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I think he could well end up at a league 2 club if he goes.

Not this season he won't unless it's as an emergency loan to cover an extreme keeper shortage.

Without moving away his realistic options at this level are Chesterfield, Halifax and Notts County. Would it be wise to send him to a promotion rival?

There are a few options a level lower with York being the only realistic full-time team. Boston have an excellent keeper on loan from Sheffield United in Marcus Dewhurst that Sheffield United will probably want playing higher next season so I doubt they would be interested in him. He's not going to go play for Bignot at Guiseley, Farsley have no ambition whatsoever. There is also Bradford PA or teaming up with Luke Spokes at Spennymoor or Danny Rose at Darlington. I suppose the most realistic destination until the summer is Alfreton or York though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 4, 2022, 3:10pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Yes, I understand the reasons that he may or may not leave, but its a pretty shittty thing for Town to do to a player in what should be a very memorable Testamonial year for him.

What are they trying to say? "Youve had everything we promised you for your Testamonial year, so now you can go!"

Or is it him saying "If I cant get in the matchday XVI, I want to go somewhere that I can", and who can blame him?

Possibly being the highest paid player on our books and not even getting to warm the bench on matchday cant be good for his confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
GrimPol
February 4, 2022, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -786
Gold Stars: 76
The last match he, McKeowen played was Away at Solihull 23/11/21  losing 2-0.
Strangely we had lost the previous 4 matches, then actually won, then lost at Solihull and PH drops him. Maybe it's a PH's "stand in the corner" job. The truth is I didn't think he was the weakest player, the team didn't just do enough. The old 2+2=5 team effort was 2+2=3 1/2  Perhaps he made his thoughts audible about the 180 deg change in fortune and PH reacted.  

(P.S. Eleven in Roman is XI, not XVI, I mean no disrespect)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
bedders78
February 4, 2022, 3:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from GrimPol
Strangely we had lost the previous 4 matches, then actually won, then lost at Solihull and PH drops him. Maybe it's a PH's "stand in the corner" job. The truth is I didn't think he was the weakest player, the team didn't just do enough. The old 2+2=5 team effort was 2+2=3 1/2  Perhaps he made his thoughts audible about the 180 deg change in fortune and PH reacted.  

11 + 5 subs

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
Chrisblor
February 4, 2022, 4:23pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from GrimPol

The second goal we conceded at Solihull probably sealed his fate in Hurst's eyes, it was really really poor from him (5m55s here):

https://youtu.be/nRCiSzEXPE0

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
rancido
February 4, 2022, 5:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
He has been a good servant for GTFC but like all sportsmen they reach a point when their performances start to decline. Time for a replacement but never forget what he had done for the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst county pre-match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.