February 3, 2022, 10:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from chaos33
Surely he is fit…?
Who should Hurst take out to put him in?

He's fourth choice behind JMD, Sousa and Wright for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
pontoonlew
February 3, 2022, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I’m a bit surprised to see so many acting as though any of this is Scannells fault. He was injured, got himself fit which is no doubt a lonely place to be at times and has watched on as he’s not been picked despite us having rotten form and being poor in front of goal.

If Hurst didn’t want him he shouldn’t have retained him in the summer and FWIW I think Scannell would be a great asset at the minute and is at least worth one game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 3, 2022, 12:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Son of Cod

He's fourth choice behind JMD, Sousa and Wright for me.

If your gonna be that negative, why don’t you add the tea lady and Norris the rubberman into it!

As others have eluded to, he’s played at a much higher level than almost all the squad so there has to be something that he has.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
oochiad
February 3, 2022, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
Yes it wasn’t his fault he got injured. He’s prepared himself again but hasn’t been given a chance yet. He has quality, hopefully he will be given a chance……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
Posh Harry
February 3, 2022, 1:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’m a bit surprised to see so many acting as though any of this is Scannells fault. He was injured, got himself fit which is no doubt a lonely place to be at times and has watched on as he’s not been picked despite us having rotten form and being poor in front of goal.

If Hurst didn’t want him he shouldn’t have retained him in the summer and FWIW I think Scannell would be a great asset at the minute and is at least worth one game.

Love it. Could be a great asset, but just give him the one game and if rubbish bin him off. You give in one hand and taketh away in the other 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
Son of Cod
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If your gonna be that negative, why don’t you add the tea lady and Norris the rubberman into it!

As others have eluded to, he’s played at a much higher level than almost all the squad so there has to be something that he has.

Hard to argue the case that he should be ahead of any of them though. JMD has come in and hit the ground running, Sousa has generally performed well and Wright has been superb in the short cameos we've seen him in. This idea that Scannell is good enough because was decent for Palace and Huddersfield a decade ago isn't grounds to bump him up the pecking order in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Is he perhaps on some sort of a performance-related contract where he's due a bonus after a certain number of appearances? Could be the case that Hurst doesn't think he's worth another chunk of money going out. Admittedly, this would have to be a pretty substantial chunk of money, given the dismal run of form over the past few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2022, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Son of Cod

Hard to argue the case that he should be ahead of any of them though. JMD has come in and hit the ground running, Sousa has generally performed well and Wright has been superb in the short cameos we've seen him in. This idea that Scannell is good enough because was decent for Palace and Huddersfield a decade ago isn't grounds to bump him up the pecking order in my opinion.

For a start, he's not necessarily a wide player and has played as a 10 before now which begs the question as to why he wasn't at least tried, instead of Fox, while McAtee was suspended or injured.

The buck stops with the manager on this. He could have parked him with Rose & Morais but didn't and now hasn't used him.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 3, 2022, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Son of Cod

I wasn’t arguing any point! I can’t back any player as I’ve seen town literally once this season. But, what I was trying to say was that given the level that he has played at, I wouldn’t send him to the glue factory yet.

What’s your opinion been of scannel when you’ve seen him play in the first team?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
diehardmariner
February 3, 2022, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Definitely something not right with the Scannell situation.

If Hurst didn't fancy him, he would have been straight out the door in the summer.  Hurst had no issue in freezing out those that he didn't want.  Morais, Rose, Jackson Jnr and Gibson, plus maybe a couple of others I've forgotten.

Scannell got a squad number and was surely part of Hurst's plans, in some way or another.  I completely understand that in terms of Maguire-Drew and Sousa there's two guys who've cemented their roles in the first team squad ahead of him.  Then there's Max Wright who, when fit, has done more than Scannell, again when fit, so correctly he's ahead of him.

But Scannell can play across the front-line.  We had a large period of time where we didn't have McAtee and were either shoe-horning people into that role or changing formation to suit.  Scannell never got a chance in that time.  You can't tell me Scannell wouldn't have been a better option than Ben Fox in that role (disclaimer: I don't know if Scannell was fit when Fox played that role nor is it a dig at Fox, he's just not that type of player).

So not frozen out and in Hurst's own words, no rush to be moved on:
Quoted Text
"I have said to them that it's hard to see them getting too many opportunities, then it's up to them. That's me being up front with them, we're not under pressure to move anyone out.
.  Scannell must be a decent earner, even if you get 20% of his wages paid by a loan club that's money you can use elsewhere as opposed to just sat in the stands.  

Scannell is only 31, I can't imagine he's made an absolute fortune from the game.  Not enough to never work again after this summer. Unless he has no intention of staying in the game, a whole year of rotting in the reserves of a mid-table fifth division side isn't doing himself any favours.  
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Spotted….Sean Scanell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.