Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F1 drivers championship goes to the last race
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 20 Guests

F1 drivers championship goes to the last race

This thread currently has 1,897 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
December 12, 2021, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Ipswin

Don't worry the little excrement will buy himself out of it with a few fat brown envelopes. He's been in the FIA's pocket all season. No one is allowed to beat Lewis

What an odd comment with literally no substance or evidence, in fact you’d argue the very opposite of todays anything to go by…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
ginnywings
December 12, 2021, 8:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Stadium

Both protests rejected by the FIA.
How you assume Hamilton is in the FIA' s" pocket" is pretty spectacular, you seem very bitter?
As it stand he did get beaten, would have been great to see a Briton became an eight time world champion but congratulations Max.

If you know owt about Swin, he has an affinity for the Dutch, though Verstappen is only sort of Dutch.

I can't watch F1 myself, find it incredibly tedious, but each to their own. From a sporting viewpoint, it did have a lot of people gripped that don't normally bother. Even Mrs G watched it, but I went out for a walk on t'Prom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Abdul19
December 12, 2021, 8:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,617
Gold Stars: 220
Hadn't watched F1 for years but that last couple of minutes was great tv

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
Manchester Mariner
December 12, 2021, 8:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
All seemed a bit harsh to me, fella dominates race but loses because another fella at the back of the field crashed and wrecked the track. But I guess it's not just about the racing part but loads of other things such as going in the pits at the right time and Hamiltons team bombed him out on that front.

But hey ho, like others, I don't really know anything about Formula 1, I can't even drive a car and I'm not fussed either way but good bit of drama for a Sunday afternoon.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
GollyGTFC
December 13, 2021, 7:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
Yes Lewis dominated the race, but he never got in the position that a safety car wouldn’t damage him (I.e. he never had a pit stop of time advantage over Max in 2nd). Unfortunately for Lewis for both the VSC & the full SC Max had enough of an advantage over the 3rd placed driver  to make those 2 extra stops. That has been the way of F1 since safety cars were introduced 30 odd years ago.

There is no fool proof way of neutralising the race so that nobody can gain an advantage and nobody loses out.

And remember F1 is a team sport. Perez got himself into 3rd and gave his entire race to helping Max. Bottas was well off the pace and was no help whatsoever to Lewis.

I watched the whole race and after the VSC I was thinking from lap 38 or whenever it ended “a full safety car & Max wins this”. And that’s exactly what happened.

Mercedes constantly play it safe and if you do that you leave yourself exposed to being done by a team who will gamble (especially when that gamble has no consequence).

Personally I’m delighted that Max won despite being a Lewis fan. F1 needed the Mercedes dominance to be broken. It’s not healthy having endless years of the same outcome.

I’m also hugely disappointed in Toto Wolff’s lack of class in defeat. He’s had it his own way for years and it would have been nice if (like Lewis) he was magnanimous in defeat even if he was fuming inside.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 39
Stadium
December 13, 2021, 12:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
A good summary.
However I believe they "manipulated" the rules to provide the spectacle of the one lap shoot out.
That would never had occurred in a race with nothing at stake.
Respect to both drivers, fantastic season for Max and a worthy champion.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
Squinter
December 13, 2021, 12:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Stadium
A good summary.
However I believe they "manipulated" the rules to provide the spectacle of the one lap shoot out.

Yes 100% it was manipulated for TV.  Any other race in the season would have finished under the safety car, but that would have been an anti-climax and not the box office hit that the FIA want.   If the FIA was operating to the rules then why weren't the lapped cars between Verstappen and Sainz told to up lap themselves and let Sainz fight for the win too ?

The biggest loser yesterday wasn't Hamilton it was F1.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
GollyGTFC
December 13, 2021, 1:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Squinter

Yes 100% it was manipulated for TV.  Any other race in the season would have finished under the safety car, but that would have been an anti-climax and not the box office hit that the FIA want.   If the FIA was operating to the rules then why weren't the lapped cars between Verstappen and Sainz told to up lap themselves and let Sainz fight for the win too ?

The biggest loser yesterday wasn't Hamilton it was F1.....

Apart from they red flagged the Baku GP with 2 laps remaining when they could have just finished behind the safety car to ensure they could have a 2 lap race.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 39
GollyGTFC
December 13, 2021, 1:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium
A good summary.

The rules have been open to interpretation (at best) or ambiguous/contradictory (at worst) since the sport started. Everyone knows that. Nobody (Mercedes included) have done anything to tighten the rules so they are clear, coherent or precise, so nobody can complain when, as usual, the rule is interpreted slightly differently.

And that’s all it was. A slight difference. Even if all lapped cars were able to unlap themselves and not just the ones between Lewis & Max they would have all been far enough up the road  to not interfere with a one lap sprint.

Here’s some simply changes I would make to F1 to help with SC fairness:-
VSC- pit Lane is closed for the entirety.
SC - pit Lane is closed for 1 minute  from SC being called.
SC - if SC period is ending with less than 10% of race left then lapped runners have to just fall to back of grid rather than unlap themselves.
SC - maximum time period/amount of laps for SC before automatic red flag.

People attend/watch F1 to see racing. Everything should be done to allow that to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 39
Squinter
December 13, 2021, 4:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The rules have been open to interpretation (at best) or ambiguous/contradictory (at worst) since the sport started. Everyone knows that. Nobody (Mercedes included) have done anything to tighten the rules so they are clear, coherent or precise, so nobody can complain when, as usual, the rule is interpreted slightly differently.

And that’s all it was. A slight difference. Even if all lapped cars were able to unlap themselves and not just the ones between Lewis & Max they would have all been far enough up the road  to not interfere with a one lap sprint.

Here’s some simply changes I would make to F1 to help with SC fairness:-
VSC- pit Lane is closed for the entirety.
SC - pit Lane is closed for 1 minute  from SC being called.
SC - if SC period is ending with less than 10% of race left then lapped runners have to just fall to back of grid rather than unlap themselves.
SC - maximum time period/amount of laps for SC before automatic red flag.

People attend/watch F1 to see racing. Everything should be done to allow that to happen.

Agree with most of that Golly, something does need to be done to stop drivers gaining an advantage when there's a VCS or SC.  Like you say we all watch to see proper racing and the best man win.     I'm pretty neutral when watching F1, but I did feel a tad sorry for Hamilton in how it transpired for him to lose.   If LH had stopped for new tires under the safety car just before MV,  MV would have stayed out and gained track position, then sod's law ( possibly manipulation ) the race would have finished under the safety and Verstappen would have won anyway.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F1 drivers championship goes to the last race

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.