Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Solihull (A) Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 82 Guests

Solihull (A) Match Thread

This thread currently has 32,290 views. Print
34 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
November 23, 2021, 10:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Well it’s absolutely ridiculous the amount of expectation some on here place on this football club.

You can spray glitz and glamour as much as you like around the periphery, it’s doesn’t change a thing. Ultimately we are still a very small and struggling football club, in a whole different football world to what it was when we used to punch above our weight.

The agony of that different football world will remain with us. So people need to start accepting what we are now isn’t what we used to be. No matter who owns us.

Utter rubbish. Football  at lower levels is no different from what it always was. Get the right manager the right players  the right culture and momentum and you will do welll. But you do need all of them not some!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 335
dapperz fun pub
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,083
Gold Stars: 85
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m far from a Fenty apologist but that’s not strictly true. JS even said that there was money left in the bank by the previous owners.

Money in the bank and we got relegated out of the FL for the second time in a few years , perhaps someone should have told the previous regime to get decent players you have to buy them and pay the going rate for wages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 335
DB
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.33
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m far from a Fenty apologist but that’s not strictly true. JS even said that there was money left in the bank by the previous owners.

That's true BUT the pitch was knackered, Cheapside was in shambles, BP was needed updating and we dropped a division. BUT we had a positive bank balance!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 335
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2021, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,079
Gold Stars: 240
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There may have been money in the bank but it doesn't mean you can spend it on new players.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 335
jamesgtfc
November 23, 2021, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,112
Gold Stars: 191
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Money in the bank and we got relegated out of the FL for the second time in a few years , perhaps someone should have told the previous regime to get decent players you have to buy them and pay the going rate for wages

It also helps if you train with Mitre balls rather than Gilbert ones too. But he did invest in a state of the art portakabin with features like a radiator, wire window guards and no leaks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 335
Fillipe Noche
November 23, 2021, 10:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from jamesgtfc

As opposed to one we never heard from? However many years in the post and the most recent picture the Telegraph had of him was years old.

We don’t need prominent CEO’s all over Twitter hogging the limelight. Your CEO should sit quietly and efficiently in the background, doing executive work.

The PR department is more than capable of communicating with the public, and getting out there what’s needed. Which is essentially any important info regarding developments, plus football stuff that we want to read.

I’m not fooled one iota by all of this look at me CEO stuff. It’s narcissistic and isn’t required. Just get on with doing your CEO work.

I’ll ask you a question. If the poor run of form continues and the shine of the takeover and early season promise diminishes, then how do you think the fan base is going to respond to all the glitz and glamour look at me Tweeting then?

We are a blooming football club, not a social network love-in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 335
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2021, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,079
Gold Stars: 240
Quoted from HerveJosse

Utter rubbish. Football  at lower levels is no different from what it always was. Get the right manager the right players  the right culture and momentum and you will do welll. But you do need all of them not some!

I'd agree the formula is the same as it's ever been, it just costs a lot more now versus the in come clubs get.

Watched the thing about Mac on i-player the other night and it was excellent, but even at what I think is tier 8 they have had to spend a lot of money to compete and some of the players they have signed have agents who wanted some really silly stuff.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 335
MuddyWaters
November 23, 2021, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

There may have been money in the bank but it doesn't mean you can spend it on new players.

I know that but it’s still a fact that needed pointing out in the context of the previous point.
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 335
dapperz fun pub
November 23, 2021, 10:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,083
Gold Stars: 85
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It also helps if you train with Mitre balls rather than Gilbert ones too. But he did invest in a state of the art portakabin with features like a radiator, wire window guards and no leaks.

And to boot players like Amond were let go for the sake of pennies .. a proven goal scorer what the fook were they thinking off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 335
lee65
November 23, 2021, 10:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,489
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Well it’s absolutely ridiculous the amount of expectation some on here place on this football club.

You can spray glitz and glamour as much as you like around the periphery, it’s doesn’t change a thing. Ultimately we are still a very small and struggling football club, in a whole different football world to what it was when we used to punch above our weight.

The agony of that different football world will remain with us. So people need to start accepting what we are now isn’t what we used to be. No matter who owns us.

For what it's worth, I agree that the odds of us ever playing in the 2nd tier again (Championship now) are 1000/1 at least, but I do feel we could be a decent league 1 side at some point in the future, and if I didn't believe that after nearly 50 years supporting the Team then I would probably call it a day.

Now I don't actually know whether or not you are / were close to the previous regime, but your earlier cynical, sarcastic and gloating post suggests you may've been.

Whether PH can get us out of this league now or in the next few years is anyone's guess, but I am sure we wouldn't have been in this position if the previous regime (including the Manager) hadn't banked on last season not kicking off or being abandoned quickly due to COVID, and treating that as an opportunity to spend virtually nothing on maintaining a decent playing squad, and even letting the pitch go to ruin!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 335
34 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Solihull (A) Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.