Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So where will we finish this season?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

So where will we finish this season?
Champions
Play-off winners
Play-offs only
Top half outside the play-offs
Bottom half not relegated
Relegated
Too early to say
  View Results 160 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

So where will we finish this season?

This thread currently has 4,187 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
October 23, 2021, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
i remember the Sheff U game but I was young. Was it 4-0?  Although we didn't go up as Champions automatic promotion was secured against Exeter in a squeaky bum finish after leading 2-0.   Those Play-off finals are great if you end up winning but the Bristol game was a buddy.  In a rare moment I was home at that time of the year, to go out like that.  A bad refereeing decision and that pony-tailed prat's pathetic attempt at a clearance after a bright Town start.  It was a long drive home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
Bigdog
October 23, 2021, 6:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mayaman
i remember the Sheff U game but I was young. Was it 4-0?  Although we didn't go up as Champions automatic promotion was secured against Exeter in a squeaky bum finish after leading 2-0.   Those Play-off finals are great if you end up winning but the Bristol game was a buddy.  In a rare moment I was home at that time of the year, to go out like that.  A bad refereeing decision and that pony-tailed prat's pathetic attempt at a clearance after a bright Town start.  It was a long drive home.

Exeter 1972 won 3-0 Div Four champions Att 22,489

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/look-back-how-grimsby-town-2117755
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
October 23, 2021, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Bigdog

I think he means the game in the Buckley era when we won 2-1 after being two up with Cockers goals. Nervewracking doesn't do it justice as one more Exeter goal would mean missing out on automatic promotion. Attendance about 14k
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Bigdog
October 23, 2021, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Bigdog

I can remember Exeter in 72 and Sheff Utd in 80. Amazing days etched in the memory, but in both seasons
, it never felt like we had a champion side in October..

We've got Notts, Dagenham, Boreham Wood, Chesterfield, Solihull, Halifax (twice) and most likely a resurgent Southend coming up from the end of this month til the New Year, a much tougher run of fixtures than we've had. If we can get through those at around two points a game then I'll be more confident in us being serious contenders for top spot. We've had an impressive points haul so far, but we've also shown a potential soft underbelly at times, conceding three to Barnet, conceding five goals in an hour of football when reduced to ten men and just being plain awful the whole 90 minutes at Maidenhead. This has been in an easier run of games..

Understand people getting overexcited with having a decent side given the lack of success we've had over a long number of years, especially those that haven't had that feeling of winning a league before, but that true "champions" feeling never comes as quickly as this in a season..

I don't want to dampen down the enthusiasm at all, but a poll mid-October showing 48% thinking we're going to be champions shows a little too much on the expectation side with 33 games to go..

Pretty sure Mayaman was replying to my earler post LCL.. but most likely not even born then..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So where will we finish this season?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.