6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 27, 2021, 11:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
It took Mr Fenty the best part of 20 years to empty BP.
The British public managed to do it in one weekend.

Hang on…

The Conoco hats…

Shel(l)ton Fenty…

Five Star (Fish) - the purest 100 octane petrol designed for high performance motors (a scratched £80k Aston Martin for instance)…

Several Exxon alimony payment plans…

Hmmm, those fraudster friendly business deals John was involved in May have been his first steps into the murky world of hydrocarbon exploration. GETYOURFRACKSRIGHT!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Son of Cod
September 27, 2021, 11:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
I went to a garage earlier today and there was a guy there who was not only filling up his car but weirdly he was also buying boxes and boxes of San Miguel, what appeared to be all the ingredients for a paella and a sombrero. Thought to myself "ah yeah, Hispanic buying."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
gaz57
September 28, 2021, 12:57am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
It took Mr Fenty the best part of 20 years to empty BP.
The British public managed to do it in one weekend.

Hang on…

The Conoco hats…

Shel(l)ton Fenty…

Five Star (Fish) - the purest 100 octane petrol designed for high performance motors (a scratched £80k Aston Martin for instance)…

Several Exxon alimony payment plans…

Hmmm, those fraudster friendly business deals John was involved in May have been his first steps into the murky world of hydrocarbon exploration. GETYOURFRACKSRIGHT!

The wife said to me the other day there's a panic down at BP, I thought Fenty had bought his shares back. 😕
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
GrimRob
September 28, 2021, 7:47am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,436
Gold Stars: 113
Nobody thinks they are panic buying but most people buy a bit more, the cumulative effect of which is increased demand. A bit like most people think they are a better than average driver.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 56
golfer
September 28, 2021, 7:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I've just swapped a doctors appointment for 2 gallons of petrol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
coddy60
September 28, 2021, 7:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Maringer
No surprise that the south east, by far the most populous area of the country, is the one with the shortages. Most of the refineries are in the north as well, I believe?

Oh, and we don't appear to have strategic reserves, unlike most countries. Would make sense to have one down in the south east somewhere for just such an issue as we're seeing now.

We don't do infrastructure and planning very well in this country.

The shortage, as with the supermarkets, is with drivers, not fuel. Post Brexit the Poles, who backfilled these jobs, began getting taxed both here and at home, making it no longer viable for them to come over.

We have shitloads of fuel in tanks, and there are tanks down south to supply locally, just not the manpower to get it delivered.

One of two things need to happen here, either the government offers retraining to people, either currently in work or on the dole, to fill the shortages, or a deal needs striking to get the Poles back on board, and I dont mean on short term visas. I wont hold my breath..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Azimuth
September 28, 2021, 8:06am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from coddy60

The shortage, as with the supermarkets, is with drivers, not fuel. Post Brexit the Poles, who backfilled these jobs, began getting taxed both here and at home, making it no longer viable for them to come over.

We have shitloads of fuel in tanks, and there are tanks down south to supply locally, just not the manpower to get it delivered.

One of two things need to happen here, either the government offers retraining to people, either currently in work or on the dole, to fill the shortages, or a deal needs striking to get the Poles back on board, and I dont mean on short term visas. I wont hold my breath..

I would have thought it was the Oil Companies and suppliers who had a responsibility to train and have a adequate suply of drivers rather than the Government just like any other business staff need to be trained and paid the going rate in order that they are retained and attracted to the job, the relience on less expensive overseas staff has lead in part to this issue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Azimuth
September 28, 2021, 8:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from coddy60

I would have thought it was the Oil Companies and suppliers who had a responsibility to train and have a adequate suply of drivers rather than the Government just like any other business staff need to be trained and paid the going rate in order that they are retained and attracted to the job, the relience on less expensive overseas staff has lead in part to this issue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Garth
September 28, 2021, 8:10am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

Talking to a lorry driver today that I know, he said it is the haulage industry creating this problem as they want the Government to ease restrictions on EU migrants so that they can employ cheap labour again.

Being a lorry driver he would know the inner workings of the government and their future plans I'm sure!
Oh to be in such a privileged position to have an ear into No 10 Downing Street, do me a favour mate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
Maringer
September 28, 2021, 8:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
From what I've read, lorry drivers have to put up with really shitty working conditions for distinctly average wages. Any job where you have to excrement in a plastic bag then sleep in your cab without the chance to wash or shower isn't going to be a great deal of fun. The Dad of my friends at school (a few decades ago now!) was a lorry driver and I remember he was rarely at home. However, it was a decently paid job back then and they lived in a nice detached house in Clee. It seems that things have changed a lot since then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › The "Fuel" problem

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.