Private Message
jamesgtfc
September 3, 2021, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
What intelligence do they have that suggests we will cause a problem in 3 months time? I know it kicked off there 6 years ago but Toto isn't here anymore and we probably won't get hammered by them.

I would like to see the board take a stand against this "advice" and give us a chance to prove ourselves.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
KingstonMariner
September 3, 2021, 4:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc
What intelligence do they have that suggests we will cause a problem in 3 months time? I know it kicked off there 6 years ago but Toto isn't here anymore and we probably won't get hammered by them.

I would like to see the board take a stand against this "advice" and give us a chance to prove ourselves.

Tempting fate there James!!

I thought the ‘kicking off’ that day was verbal abuse of our own player not violence.

Agree on the board taking a stand

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Les Brechin
September 3, 2021, 4:08pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
FFS. It's about time the board started opposing all these bloody changes!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
September 3, 2021, 4:13pm
Guest User
You can see why though, loads will be travelling over on the train, and…erm…oh it’s Boxing Day.
Reply: 4 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 3, 2021, 4:18pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
It seems like all these Police forces are still reacting to historical problems, rather than taking the current fans into consideration. If our club was to suggest that STH's have first dibs on all away tickets (or do they do that anyway?), then the number of tickets available for potential trouble causers is minimal, because if those yobs were season ticket holders then they have a lot to lose.

Maybe one day we will lose the 'hooligan' tag that we still have hanging over our team name.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Chrisblor
September 3, 2021, 4:26pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,934
Gold Stars: 238
Are the club ever going to stand their ground and tell the police to get copulated when they make these pathetic unjustified requests to move kick-off times?

Moving a boxing day kick-off to 12:30pm just increases the likelihood that supporters will be driving while still hungover from the previous day anyway, utterly stupid move from West Yorks Police.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
ska face
September 3, 2021, 4:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
It’s amazing when you consider that Leeds Festival has run for four days a year almost annually, despite a history of rioting, deaths, excessive drinking across a crowd of about 60,000 and fairly open drug use and selling.

The exact same police force, however, can’t deal with 1500 people turning up in about 2 square miles in the centre of Halifax for 3/4 hours.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
DB
September 3, 2021, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
The board should ask the police:-
A/ What is the intelligence
B/ Can you prove it
C/ Is it relevant today
D/ As you have covered larger events ( see previous posts) why can't you manage smaller ones
E/ Are you victimising the club based on events years ago.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
DB
September 3, 2021, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
livosnose
September 3, 2021, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
More time to spend in Dirty Dicks the bar stuck in 2001

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 3, 2021, 5:22pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from DB

Hehehe. I can imagine the answers from Town fans lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
dapperz fun pub
September 3, 2021, 5:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 84
Getting bored of how we’re being treat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Poojah
September 3, 2021, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
This is ridiculous on Boxing Day of all days. Is there actually any evidence that early kick-offs reduce disorder? I can actually see a case for them making things worse.

At the Donny away game a few years back, when the kick-off was 12:00 I think, the ‘spoons in the town centre was rammed full of Town fans by about 9am and quite a few were absolutely steaming come 10:30. It creates a bit of a rush mentality, “shìt, we haven’t got long so let’s get these beers down our throats as quickly as possible”.

Didn’t the government abolish the blanket 2am kicking out time largely for this very reason?

Absolute horse shìt decision. I’d be more supportive of these kind of decisions if they were accompanied by at least some sort of an attempt at a rationale, instead of some vague inference that they’re expecting those Grimsby yobbo’s to trash the fúcking place (have you even seen the state of Halifax lately, by the way?).

Me? I’ll be drinking those litre cans of 10% Danish Viking lager until I’m unconscious in a pool of my own vomit of the floor of the away end bogs, just to prove a point.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Kris2
September 3, 2021, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
It seems like all these Police forces are still reacting to historical problems, rather than taking the current fans into consideration. If our club was to suggest that STH's have first dibs on all away tickets (or do they do that anyway?), then the number of tickets available for potential trouble causers is minimal, because if those yobs were season ticket holders then they have a lot to lose.

Maybe one day we will lose the 'hooligan' tag that we still have hanging over our team name.

I don't think 6 years ago is particularly historical. We take a large following to away games and to suggest that STHs aren't some of the problem is a bit naive as the regulars at home and away games are often among the people causing problems at games. We'll lose the hooligan tag when we don't have people jumping around topless, running on the pitch, fighting with stewards/police at away grounds, bringing smoke bombs, kicking off outside the ground and more things that contribute.

We don't like it when the reputation inconveniences us but we carry on doing it while calling our support "amazing" for turning up in numbers to cause trouble. If we want to change our reputation in Halifax maybe don't run around half naked with your fat bellies hanging out intimidating the locals or bringing smoke bombs . You ever consider the local pubs that have to deal with you and the football grounds have a say in all this?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
jaygy
September 3, 2021, 7:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
If you've ever seen how some of the 'moron' element of our supporters behave then you can sort of understand the fears that the police and locals have when Grimsby are playing in their towns. Having said that it's such a shame that all 95% of fans are being tarred with the same brush as the 5%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
aldi_01
September 3, 2021, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah
This is ridiculous on Boxing Day of all days. Is there actually any evidence that early kick-offs reduce disorder? I can actually see a case for them making things worse.

At the Donny away game a few years back, when the kick-off was 12:00 I think, the ‘spoons in the town centre was rammed full of Town fans by about 9am and quite a few were absolutely steaming come 10:30. It creates a bit of a rush mentality, “shìt, we haven’t got long so let’s get these beers down our throats as quickly as possible”.

Didn’t the government abolish the blanket 2am kicking out time largely for this very reason?

Absolute horse shìt decision. I’d be more supportive of these kind of decisions if they were accompanied by at least some sort of an attempt at a rationale, instead of some vague inference that they’re expecting those Grimsby yobbo’s to trash the fúcking place (have you even seen the state of Halifax lately, by the way?).

Me? I’ll be drinking those litre cans of 10% Danish Viking lager until I’m unconscious in a pool of my own vomit of the floor of the away end bogs, just to prove a point.

I’ve mentioned it before; there was an article sent to me written by an academic who was a genuine football fan. Proper peer reviewed journal, can’t for the life of me find it any more but it basically argues that policing of football in this country is often ineffective or can exacerbate problems.

It goes on to discuss that drinking in view of the game isn’t a risk and as you say; early KOs or this ‘drinking ban’ simply means folk rush drink or get stupid.

People can argue that individuals should take responsibility for themselves and I don’t disagree but sometimes you really do have to question how they arrive at this sort of decisions based on nothing more than a hunch. It’s like tomorrow, many will have 2/3 points pre KO. If I knew I could have an ale during the game I’d be more likely to have may be one before and a couple through the match.

Other countries allow drinking in view of the game and have little trouble, if they do, they don’t just blame alcohol as if that’s the only reason it happens.

Again, in the article it discusses the fact that many a chap involved in public order offences at football have often carried out those acts sober or would, alcohol sometimes helps them on their way or features very little. One could argue drugs are a bigger issue for those interested in that sort of thing and KO time is irrelevant for those dabbling with substances.

It’s another ridiculous change that is unnecessary and sadly, clubs seem to be passive to these things. Is it time for fans to just stand up and put their point across. It’s worked in other countries…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
KingstonMariner
September 3, 2021, 7:40pm
Meths Drinker
I can’t see us being worse than anyone else (of the ‘big’ NL) clubs. Wonder how many changed kickoffs Notts, Chesterfield and Stockport get.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
moosey_club
September 3, 2021, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Gods sake.

Do they even have that chip van in the ground anymore ? Let it go West Yorks Police...let it go.

One for those of a certain age.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Vance Warner
September 3, 2021, 9:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
Is there a club in the country that has more kick off changes on police advice than us? We have some idiots but are we really more of a risk than any other team in the top 5 divisions? The number of arrests doesn’t suggest so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
TAGG
September 3, 2021, 11:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
FFS

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
vernontown
September 4, 2021, 1:14am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +93
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from jaygy
If you've ever seen how some of the 'moron' element of our supporters behave then you can sort of understand the fears that the police and locals have when Grimsby are playing in their towns. Having said that it's such a shame that all 95% of fans are being tarred with the same brush as the 5%

Yep. Enjoyed Stockport the other night in part because there seemed to be none of the moron element. Came away refreshed by the feeling that people were there for the game.  
Previous away game was, of course, Scunthorpe, with my young son in the section supposedly only for families and oap's. Despite the result, came away embarrassed to be associated with the morons who were obviously there for no reason than to massage their pathetic egos by treating people with utter hatred simply because they are 'not us' because they live, what, 20 miles away? Pathetic beyond belief!
Similar to Crystal Palace game, Telegraph full of the great 'support'. Yes, lots of of it was, but there was also a hell of a lot of the Neanderthal types who we should not venerate in any way. I still can't quite decide how I feel about the yobs who stopped fighting as we made our way to the station because, "there are kids here". They reconvened down the street. Fair play, they had some sense of respect, but what sad people they really must be at heart?
We have a sizeable hooligan element. We should reject them foremost. Yes, the Police changing kick offs is annoying, but we can't criticise until we have rejected the sad muppetts amongst us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
KingstonMariner
September 4, 2021, 1:28am
Meths Drinker
Didn’t sniff any trouble at Palace. Where was that vernon?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
vernontown
September 4, 2021, 1:30am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I’ve mentioned it before; there was an article sent to me written by an academic who was a genuine football fan. Proper peer reviewed journal, can’t for the life of me find it any more but it basically argues that policing of football in this country is often ineffective or can exacerbate problems.

It goes on to discuss that drinking in view of the game isn’t a risk and as you say; early KOs or this ‘drinking ban’ simply means folk rush drink or get stupid.

People can argue that individuals should take responsibility for themselves and I don’t disagree but sometimes you really do have to question how they arrive at this sort of decisions based on nothing more than a hunch. It’s like tomorrow, many will have 2/3 points pre KO. If I knew I could have an ale during the game I’d be more likely to have may be one before and a couple through the match.

Other countries allow drinking in view of the game and have little trouble, if they do, they don’t just blame alcohol as if that’s the only reason it happens.

Again, in the article it discusses the fact that many a chap involved in public order offences at football have often carried out those acts sober or would, alcohol sometimes helps them on their way or features very little. One could argue drugs are a bigger issue for those interested in that sort of thing and KO time is irrelevant for those dabbling with substances.

It’s another ridiculous change that is unnecessary and sadly, clubs seem to be passive to these things. Is it time for fans to just stand up and put their point across. It’s worked in other countries…

Want to agree with you in many ways. Just think there's a cultural issue with our country, or northern Europe as a whole, both in respect of alcohol and the aggressive culture. Yes, pub times, per se, are not the real issue. It's an attitude problem. Having said that, some of Mediterranean Europe, Italy for instance, have serious hooligan issues even though alcohol/yobism is not a major issue in their societies generally. Maybe its a male thing? Some amongst us are just brainlessly primeval. But, ultimately, don't want them to spoil it for the rest of us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
KingstonMariner
September 4, 2021, 1:32am
Meths Drinker
By the way, when did it become the norm to punish the majority for what was done by a few? Lidice, Oradour?

Wonder if the politzei have ever tried tackling the criminals?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
vernontown
September 4, 2021, 1:48am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Didn’t sniff any trouble at Palace. Where was that vernon?

Lived not far from Palace for a few years in my younger days. Very relaxed about the whole experience, but afterwards, main road towards station there was a group who were obviously there with the intention of 'trouble'. Steered my then 11 year old out of the way as fists were slung. Completely deliberate, intentional, violence. Dearly wish we didn't have to change kick offs etc because of Police requests, but there are unfortunately morons who spoil it for the rest of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
ska face
September 4, 2021, 8:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Neither the Palace or Scunthorpe matches were played at 3pm on a Saturday, which indicates that the KO time is not the contributing factor to any “disorder”, which appears to be a broad catch all used to cover everything from speaking too loudly to attempted murder.

Moving KO times is a solution dreamt up decades ago which doesn’t take into account modern circumstances. If people want to get p1ssed, they can and will do, but that doesn’t necessarily mean these fans are going to do anything that requires the police to get involved.

Some people on here need to get over their prejudices. Just because someone has their shirt off (?!), it doesn’t make them a ‘yob’, or make you any better than them.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
Limerick Mariner
September 4, 2021, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Seems to be two schools of thought on this thread

Our reputation goes before us and this is what we'll get until we get rid of the unsavoury behaviour that occurs for our bigger away days;

We are being unfairly singled out for trouble that occured years ago eg. Burton;

We can't deny that we have a group of troublemakers that go to some of our bigger away games, but it seems to me to be mostly what could be termed anti-social behaviour rather than serious trouble - like the smashing of glasses at Sheffield station on the way back from Alfreton. Then there is the issue that we attract sometimes attract trouble from other teams' dickheads perhaps because of the reputation - eg Vale.

I'm leaning towards the second view. There are quite a few clubs with more travelling fans, more hoolies than us and a reputation, and I don't see regular switching of their KO times for games in a circa 100 mile radius which seems to be a rule of thumb for a GTFC KO time change. Let's look at other Boxing Day games with similar distance and travel time as us to Halifax and see if they are switched - all currently showing 3pm KOs
- Preston v Sheffield United
- Barnsley v Stoke
- Doncaster v Sunderland

If we were playing at Barnsley or Donny we'd definitely be switched to an early KO on current form. Stoke and Sheffield United - hmm, have we a worse reputation than them, if so we must be in the Leeds or Millwall category, which we are clearly not. On balance I'd say we are being unfairly picked on...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
grimps
September 4, 2021, 12:52pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from moosey_club
Gods sake.

Do they even have that chip van in the ground anymore ? Let it go West Yorks Police...let it go.

One for those of a certain age.

I’m of that age .
I remember they sent the police horses into the stand and one of them run over Jon ? ( who happened to be a darker shade of pale ) and sent him flying .
The horse that did it was white and everyone was calling it racist 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
KingstonMariner
September 4, 2021, 11:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from vernontown

Lived not far from Palace for a few years in my younger days. Very relaxed about the whole experience, but afterwards, main road towards station there was a group who were obviously there with the intention of 'trouble'. Steered my then 11 year old out of the way as fists were slung. Completely deliberate, intentional, violence. Dearly wish we didn't have to change kick offs etc because of Police requests, but there are unfortunately morons who spoil it for the rest of us.

Which station was that? Thornton Heath, Norwood Junction or Norbury?

There are morons who spoil it for the rest of us. But I don't see why the innocent majority should be punished for the actions of the minority. It's the equivalent of putting a street under curfew at night because a burglar lives down it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
MarinerWY
September 5, 2021, 12:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,987
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from vernontown

Want to agree with you in many ways. Just think there's a cultural issue with our country, or northern Europe as a whole, both in respect of alcohol and the aggressive culture. Yes, pub times, per se, are not the real issue. It's an attitude problem. Having said that, some of Mediterranean Europe, Italy for instance, have serious hooligan issues even though alcohol/yobism is not a major issue in their societies generally. Maybe its a male thing? Some amongst us are just brainlessly primeval. But, ultimately, don't want them to spoil it for the rest of us.

I imagine that most agree with your sentiments on the dickheads scrapping etc but imo that's not the point regarding kick off times: as you've alluded to, it's a societal problem and if people are going to behave like that, it isn't down to the kick off time. Scunny was early kick off. European hooligan firms don't have the same drink culture.

The argument here is that there is very little evidence that early kick off times prevent disorder, and so the police are punishing everyone for no reason. It doesn't work.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
grimps
September 5, 2021, 5:17am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I’m not sure what the away end holds at Halifax but if we’re still in the top 5 we’ll fill it on Boxing Day whatever time they kick off .
I can see 3000 plus going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boxing Day KO moved

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.