DB
September 8, 2021, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Other than about 20 mins ago considering Italy’s goal in the Euro final was after a corner I can’t remember when that back 4 and keeper last conceded a goal from open play.

I agree with what you say. The defence just seemed to be jittery every time the poles attacked at the end of the match. There was not the usual calm about them which was the reason for my comments. 3 points were in the bag and all we had to do was see the game out, which we didn't. The Poles played more attacking football in the last 5 mins than most of the match, suddenly they were up for it and the defence just started to panic.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 94
DB
September 8, 2021, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
We set out to not lose and didn't lose. A pity that we conceded the equaliser at the end, but there were some heavy legs out there due to the lack of subs - I suspect that Southgate was attempting to make some sort of point or another by not making any changes, but it didn't quite work out.

It has been pretty easy for the big countries to qualify for tournaments in recent years and we are still coasting to the Finals in Qatar. It's a team which is very confident in possession (against lesser teams, at least), but still very cautious.

My main concern is that we are generally too reliant on Sterling to do something quick and tricky or Kane to score one at present. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I'd like to see us to try to be a bit more dynamic in attack and, without Kane or Sterling, I'm not really sure what we can achieve.

To an extent we saw that against Andorra.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 94
Les Brechin
September 9, 2021, 8:54am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
It was always going to be at least 3 with Andorra at home but 7 points from the 3 games is a good return, especially with 2 games away in front of a vitriolic and patriotic crowd.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 94
DB
September 9, 2021, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Onwards and upwards as the saying goes. A definite place at Qatar, many countries will be envious of England at this stage of the knockouts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 94
Les Brechin
September 9, 2021, 12:09pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Just seen an interesting fact about last nights game.

It was the first time that England did not use any substitutes in a game since the Euro 96 Semi-Final v Germany.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Hungary/Andorra/Poland

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.