1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
September 1, 2021, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Thought he was absolutely brilliant on the commentary last night. I started with town in the 90s so he's before my time, I looked him up on wikipedia but his page says virtually nothing.

So what was he like as a player?

He seemed to play a bit for us then went on and played quite a bit for Bolton, but then nothing much after that anyone know what happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
livosnose
September 2, 2021, 1:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Think he was an aprentice same time as my cousin 1984 / 85. Midfielder that’s all I know . Tweet him I’m sure he’d tell you !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
lukeo
September 2, 2021, 6:00am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
I enjoyed his commentary, would be nice to have him again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
chaos33
September 2, 2021, 6:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,977
Gold Stars: 361
I also thought his analysis was really good. I hope they have him in again. Saw him play for us in the 80’s. Decent midfielder.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
DB
September 2, 2021, 6:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I think Gary Croft is pretty good but Henshaw came over more professional, a sort of polished version. I did enjoy his comment about the ref wanting to blow after our free kick was taken. I would certainly like him to be at more games with JT.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Mariner56
September 2, 2021, 8:23am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
I actually prefer him to Gary Croft as there is a better balance between him and John Tondeur.
I always find Crofty and JT to be like a couple of mardy old geezers  in the stands having a good old moan between themselves, which can make quite depressive listening sometimes. On the other hand, Gary Henshaw the other night offered a counter balance to that and was much more able to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and give more constructive analysis and critique. He came across as very professional, and I felt he and JT worked together much better as a result of this, seeing the game from different perspectives and discussing their views accordingly. That’s not to say we weren’t all mardy old gits last season of course, it was enough to depress the most pessimistic fan but from my point of view, I like the balance now between the JT and GH and hope we get to hear more from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
jamesgtfc
September 2, 2021, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mariner56
I actually prefer him to Gary Croft as there is a better balance between him and John Tondeur.
I always find Crofty and JT to be like a couple of mardy old geezers  in the stands having a good old moan between themselves, which can make quite depressive listening sometimes. On the other hand, Gary Henshaw the other night offered a counter balance to that and was much more able to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and give more constructive analysis and critique. He came across as very professional, and I felt he and JT worked together much better as a result of this, seeing the game from different perspectives and discussing their views accordingly. That’s not to say we weren’t all mardy old gits last season of course, it was enough to depress the most pessimistic fan but from my point of view, I like the balance now between the JT and GH and hope we get to hear more from them.

I think it's easier to be more balanced when you haven't watched the kind of dross Croft has done over the last couple of years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
ex-merseymariner
September 2, 2021, 9:51am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
As a player, he's in that era where I remember names more than the actual player, although he was in the team when I was mascot.

There's a decent podcast with Henshaw in the spotlight in the Talkin Fitbaw series, a series which also features Phil Bonnyman, and er... Junior Mendes!!!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
diehardmariner
September 2, 2021, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mariner56

I'd agree with this.  I noticed on Tuesday that JT seemed quite critical of Hunt at times but Henshaw was quick to offer a counter-balance to this.

I think it's largely unlikely we'll hear a great deal from Henshaw as I believe he does the BBC commentary for Bolton.  Be nice to hear more from him though.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gary Henshaw

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.