Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › N N N N Nine thousand....
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 37 Guests

N N N N Nine thousand....

This thread currently has 429 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
August 14, 2021, 3:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
....test runs for Joe Root. Holding England's batting together almost single-handedly again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
August 14, 2021, 9:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
He's something else isn't he. Totally unflappable.

Like all the greats, he makes it look so easy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
Limerick Mariner
August 15, 2021, 1:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
He's something else isn't he. Totally unflappable.

Like all the greats, he makes it look so easy.

Always has done - first time I saw him bat I thought he was going to be something special.

We were discussing at Trent Bridge, take out Joe Root (and assuming Stokes is out for a while), is the worst England batting lineup in our lifetime - we are all 50 somethings? Openers are shocking, no. 3 has been a problem for a long time and we've no decent all-rounder. I fear for the Ashes series...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
Limerick Mariner
August 16, 2021, 7:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
FFS, what a shambles. Records tumble, first time ever both openers get ducks in a Lords Test. First king pair in a Lords test - (Curran)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
Sandford1981
August 17, 2021, 3:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
FFS, what a shambles. Records tumble, first time ever both openers get ducks in a Lords Test. First king pair in a Lords test - (Curran)

A shambles indeed.
We absolutely need Root the batsman but not so much the captain.
We were in the game owing to his sublime skill with the bat and out of it again due to his poor captaincy.
Of course saying Root shouldn’t be captain is easy and there are no outstanding candidates available right now.
We do need to have a look at the structure of cricket in this country as we’re set up to fail at test level. Ridiculous really.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Maringer
August 17, 2021, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Why, in cricket, do they always make the best batsman the Captain (which usually affects their form as well)? Surely better to have the best leader/tactician in the role instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Sandford1981
August 17, 2021, 4:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Why, in cricket, do they always make the best batsman the Captain (which usually affects their form as well)? Surely better to have the best leader/tactician in the role instead.

Not that I agree with this logic necessarily but, it’s mainly due to that person barring injury, is guaranteed their place in the side.

We are in danger of burning Root out. He’s nearly an opener as it is and he’s then the mainstay of our innings too, meaning he gets little rest even before we talk captaincy, slip fielding and his occasional bowling.  Not ideal for someone with back trouble.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
Limerick Mariner
August 18, 2021, 12:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Not his finest hour yesterday morning I agree, but there is a total lack of other candidates, and not even any other senior players having a word in his ear to help him out - it shouldn't all rest on the captain's shoulders - you need other leaders on the pitch - as we know too well from having James Mck as captain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
Sandford1981
August 18, 2021, 6:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Not his finest hour yesterday morning I agree, but there is a total lack of other candidates, and not even any other senior players having a word in his ear to help him out - it shouldn't all rest on the captain's shoulders - you need other leaders on the pitch - as we know too well from having James Mck as captain.

I agree about other candidates and that’s the problem. I don’t think there is any desire from the ECB to replace him at all either.
I would personally but I never wanted him as captain in the first place. On paper his tenure doesn’t look too bad but it doesn’t even come close to telling the full story.
Of course there are mitigating factors not least the ECBs approach to test cricket but I just don’t think he’s improved enough to warrant staying in post. He instinctively is a defensive and negative skipper and at a time when the best form of the game is fighting for its life I think it’s dangerous.
I would like to see some changes to the side for the next test for sure- batting wise anyway. I liked the balance of the attack for the game we threw away.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › N N N N Nine thousand....

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.