2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
August 13, 2021, 8:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Now the team is almost complete, how could we be seen starting against Bromley?

.                        McKeown
Efete       Pearson   Longe-king  Revan
                           Coke
                       Fox      Hunt
         Bapaga      McAtee    Sousa

This team is good enough for top 5 IMO, and a good quality bench once people become fit

LJL
Taylor
Grant
Wright
Scannell
Spokes
Clifton
Crookes
Waterfall

As well as first year pros - Khoury, Goundry, Adlard

If you're still concerned that this team, along with a number '9', isn't any better than mid-table, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

It's okay to have a big name striker, but if the rest of the team isn't good enough, it won't work....

IMO, our biggest threat would be Notts County, as they seem to have a good all round squad, rather than 1/2 good players

Put all the above, with the best manager in the league, and we will be right up there.

Hold tight, we will lose unexpected games home & away, but its a marathon! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
August 13, 2021, 8:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Dare I say I'm very happy with what we have and if we don't get in another striker I still believe this side can comfortably finish in the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Poojah
August 13, 2021, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Dependent on fitness / signings etc. but I think you'll see a slightly different shape in midfield, with McAtee in behind the striker and two holding midfielders (perhaps Coke and Fox as starting choices). It's not looking too shabby on the whole, but aside from the elusive forward it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a young centre half in on loan at some point over the course of the next few weeks.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Croxton
August 13, 2021, 9:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
That's the way it's looking but we have to remember that Bapaga and Hunt may not be ready to do more than 60 min especially if the game becomes stretched. Harry may get  the nod if they blow up against Chesterfield.

I expect Hurst will be his cautious self and keep Fox close to Coke so that we are not easily caught on the break. Better to have men behind the ball than having to give away so many free kicks, a habit which has carried over from last year into preseason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
quebec38
August 13, 2021, 9:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I don’t think that will be far off. Maybe Clifton instead of Hunt to keep things tight in what should be a tough opener.

I can see McAtee starting up front. I know he wasn’t brought in as a centre forward but he’s already shown he can score goals.

A good striker has proved hard to come by so maybe we’ve changed tactic and replaced McAtee with Hunt as a midfielder in order to move JM upfront.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
pizzzza
August 13, 2021, 9:22am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Fox      Hunt

Tally-ho!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
HarrogateMariner
August 13, 2021, 9:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from quebec38
I don’t think that will be far off. Maybe Clifton instead of Hunt to keep things tight in what should be a tough opener.

I can see McAtee starting up front. I know he wasn’t brought in as a centre forward but he’s already shown he can score goals.

A good striker has proved hard to come by so maybe we’ve changed tactic and replaced McAtee with Hunt as a midfielder in order to move JM upfront.

I agree with this. You have to remember the team as it was prior to yesterday's arrivals have spent several weeks working together on shape,  tactics etc. and will be well drilled by now. I think you can see that with the Coke,  Fox, Clifton trio in midfield. I wouldn't be surprised if Bagpa is on the bench as well, not sure who starts instead however. Clifton is also well known to be the fittest player in the squad and has started all friendlies. Makes no sense to drop him now for the start. I think Hunt will be used for those home games against teams that will park the bus, so will probably start against Weymouth.

I am not like many others that worried about us not signing another striker. McAfee has proven he can score and I think goals will come from all over the team. Again he has been playing up top and makes sense for him to start there against Bromley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
TwoLeftFeet
August 13, 2021, 9:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,101
Gold Stars: 19
Wouldn't be surprised to see Crookes start at left back with Revan further forward and two new young lads starting on the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Mariner93er
August 13, 2021, 9:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
What’s clear is that we have plenty of options and good strength in depth. We obviously need a striker, but it looks like Hurst has put a team together that will spread goals around. And I’ve got a feeling mcatee could easily hit double figures this season too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
TownSNAFU5
August 13, 2021, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
pizzzza, say what you really think, don't run with the hounds.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
ex-merseymariner
August 13, 2021, 10:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
You forgot Sears

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
August 13, 2021, 10:39am
Guest User
Quoted from Croxton
That's the way it's looking but we have to remember that Bapaga and Hunt may not be ready to do more than 60 min especially if the game becomes stretched. Harry may get  the nod if they blow up against Chesterfield.

I expect Hurst will be his cautious self and keep Fox close to Coke so that we are not easily caught on the break. Better to have men behind the ball than having to give away so many free kicks, a habit which has carried over from last year into preseason.

Why do you think that?  Do you think that they haven't been doing any pre-season training with their own clubs?

Reply: 11 - 17
Croxton
August 13, 2021, 10:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 123614

Why do you think that?  Do you think that they haven't been doing any pre-season training with their own clubs?

I'm sure they have but unlikely to have done many 90 min at senior level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
jamesgtfc
August 13, 2021, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
McKeown

Efete Longe-King Pearson Revan

Fox Coke Clifton

McAtee
Sousa Bapaga

Sousa and Bapaga both advanced and wide with McAtee behind them centrally. A lot of emphasis on Fox and Clifton getting forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2021, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Still think he might play three centre backs.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
wiggers
August 13, 2021, 1:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
I think Taylor will be fit for this game and PH will play 442 with McAtee and Taylor up top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
Stew0_0
August 13, 2021, 1:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
In mind if no more injury recovery....

McKeown

Efete.    Long-King.      Pearson.   Revan

Coke.
              Clifton.            Fox.

Sousa.                   Bapaga.

McAtee.

Would like to see Sousa and Bapaga given a free role behind McAtee when attacking, making them tough to mark. Then track the full back when defending.

Subs

Waterfall
Crookes
Hunt
Wright
Essel

Should be really strong once we get the No.9, John-Lewis, Taylor, Scannell, Grant back in there and add Sears, Goundry, Crocombe, Spokes, Khouri, Adlard in the mix we will soon have serious competition even just for the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Mariner93er
August 13, 2021, 1:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Still think he might play three centre backs.

Doubt it, after playing it second half the other week, hurst said it was a formation we hadn’t been practising. I think it’s clear from all the wide players we’ll be going with 4-3-3 of some guise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Possible team for Bromley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.