8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
August 11, 2021, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
When we were first linked with Tshimanga I watched his YouTube reel, which I get is just that - it's hardly a comprehensive review of any player.

But he doesn't really look like the type of player who would fit into what we're after, far from it.  He very much looks like someone who floats about and picks up the scraps.  With the attacking options that Hurst has built behind the frontline, thinking of the likes of McAtee and Sousa mainly, I think we need more of someone to hold it up and bring them into play.

I'll actually be surprised if we have a striker who gets 20 goals this season, I think the focus is on spreading the goals out amongst the team.  

Either LJL or Taylor would be perfect for the role we need and it's unfortunate that both are in the treatment room at the same time.  With them fit, we would have seen a very different pre-season and vastly different levels of optimism for the season.  I get it thought, it's a big problem.  Equally so, just like with his transfer dealings, Hurst is always coy when it comes to injuries and lay-offs.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we line up against Bromley with the number 7 and 9 squad numbers occupied and both LJL and Taylor in the squad.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Les Brechin
August 11, 2021, 11:53am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Vardy was a one-off. I doubt we'll ever see another player spend so long in non-league before making it big.

Also Vardy only had 2 clubs (3 if you include Stocksbridge Steel) in non-league. Tshimanga has had almost a dozen now. He's a decent non-league striker I'll admit and could well do okay at a lower league club. It could happen, I'll admit, but I'll be very surprised if he goes on to have any real success in the Premier League like Vardy has.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
Maringer
August 11, 2021, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
For every Vardy, there are a dozen Bogles. We don't even know yet if Tshimanga is even near being a Bogle and he's nowhere near being a Vardy. He'll score a hat-trick against us now, just you wait.  

We could do with a Barry Hayles type of player coming to the fore. Started off as a full-back and was bunged up front as an emergency due to injury problems, started scoring and just continued. Any of our defenders look as though they've got an eye for goal?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
diehardmariner
August 11, 2021, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Vardy was a one-off. I doubt we'll ever see another player spend so long in non-league before making it big.

Also Vardy only had 2 clubs (3 if you include Stocksbridge Steel) in non-league. Tshimanga has had almost a dozen now. He's a decent non-league striker I'll admit and could well do okay at a lower league club. It could happen, I'll admit, but I'll be very surprised if he goes on to have any real success in the Premier League like Vardy has.

Andre Gray?  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
diehardmariner
August 11, 2021, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

We could do with a Barry Hayles type of player coming to the fore. Started off as a full-back and was bunged up front as an emergency due to injury problems, started scoring and just continued. Any of our defenders look as though they've got an eye for goal?  

That made me think of Paul Warhurst and I've now got a bit of sick in my mouth.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
mariner91
August 11, 2021, 12:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
What is the salary cap set at next season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mariner91

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1625144562/
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
Bigdog
August 11, 2021, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from mariner91

£900k

Which amplifies the necessity to get out of this division this season. As it stands, from next season, even with a vastly superior income, we won't be able to outspend virtually any club in the National League, the likes of Kings Lynn, Dover, Maidenhead etc will enjoy a level playing field with us. It's a very scary prospect..

This season is more critical than some of the be patient, vacuous virtue signalling long term project claims.. that's for sure..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
jamesgtfc
August 11, 2021, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Bigdog

£900k

Which amplifies the necessity to get out of this division this season. As it stands, from next season, even with a vastly superior income, we won't be able to outspend virtually any club in the National League, the likes of Kings Lynn, Dover, Maidenhead etc will enjoy a level playing field with us. It's a very scary prospect..

This season is more critical than some of the be patient, vacuous virtue signalling long term project claims.. that's for sure..

Has it been challenged because the EFL salary cap was thrown out of court.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
Bigdog
August 11, 2021, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Has it been challenged because the EFL salary cap was thrown out of court.

It's still a work in progress..

In a recent decision, an independent arbitration panel upheld a claim against a salary cap in League One and League Two.  The salary cap, introduced by the English Football League (EFL) on 7 August 2020, prohibits the overall player salary remuneration above 2.5 million in League One and a cap of 1.5 Million in League Two[1].   The Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) opposed the salary caps and sought arbitrary action. Following the arbitral decision the EFL have withdrawn the salary caps[2].

Background to Financial Controls

Football in the UK is not subject to a statutory salary cap.  Although, the Union of European Football Association (UEFA) introduced Financial Fair Play regulations in 2010[3] as a requisite to enter into its competitions. UEFA set up the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) to oversee and sanction clubs that exceed spending beyond its budget over the course of three seasons[4].  The Premier League (PL)[5] and EFL introduced Financial Fair Play Regulations in 2013. EFL regulations subject clubs to a Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP); a player related expenditure prohibiting clubs from exceeding 60% of the clubs turnover.

Reason for Salary Caps

Since the global pandemic, clubs across all leagues have suffered financially[6]. The loss of TV and broadcasting rights, commercial revenue, gate and match day income has reduced millions of pounds worth of income. The consequences of insolvency was unfortunately seen in the fate of Bury FC’s expulsion for the EFL and the PL agreed a £250 million rescue package to assist sustainability within the EFL[7].

On 7 August 2020, the EFL introduced a salary cap of 2.5 million in League One and a cap of 1.5 Million in League Two. In its statement the PFL said “The decision follows extensive and comprehensive consultation with all Clubs in respect of addressing sustainability and wage inflation issues across the EFL”[8].

The PFA acknowledged the need for costs control measures but set out its detailed objections to the salary cap. This included revenue disparity, the development and process of the wage control measures, consensus of stakeholders, omitted details from the principles and much more[9].

Changes to the EFL Regulations are permitted pursuant to Article 13 of the Articles of Association of the Football League[10], albeit requiring a vote by member clubs[11]. A majority voted in favour of the salary cap, whilst a minority of clubs opposed the decision, contending it could deter young talent and investors.

As a result of the decision to impose salary caps, the PFA served Notice of Arbitration on the EFL disputing the caps as unlawful and unenforceable. The PFA argued the EFL failed in its obligation to consult with the PFA and the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee (PFNCC).

Paragraph 3a. of the PFNCC’s Constitution states, “The PFNCC shall be the forum in which the Members consider matters relating to the employment of, and any associated rules and regulations relating to, those professional football players (Players) employed by clubs in membership of EFL and the PL (the Leagues)…”

Decision

The decision[12] places emphasis on the need to consult the representative bodies and upholds their respective standings within the EFL.

It also revert the EFL back to the SCMP rules in accordance with 9.5 of the EFL Rules and Regulations, which states  “If an arbitral body makes any ruling to the effect that the EFL acted in breach of the constitution of the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee when adopting Salary Cap Rules, then these Salary Cap Rules will automatically and immediately be withdrawn from the regulation and will be replaced by Part 4 of the Appendix 5 of these Regulations (the ‘Existing SCMP Rules’)[13].

Conclusion

The need for cost control measures and clear parameters appear to be appreciated amongst clubs, regulators and governing bodies, and so it is likely discussions will continue until a resolution is reached that suits all parties.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement of Intent

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.