Reply: 40 - 53
Manchester Mariner
August 1, 2021, 1:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
A real Olympic moment just now, the Qatari guy asking if he can share gold with the Italian he had been equal jump to jump with rather than go into a sudden death jump off. I didn't even know that was even possible. Amazing scenes.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2021, 12:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
A real Olympic moment just now, the Qatari guy asking if he can share gold with the Italian he had been equal jump to jump with rather than go into a sudden death jump off. I didn't even know that was even possible. Amazing scenes.

That’ll start the “you’re not allowed competitive sorts at school any more” brigade off.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 2, 2021, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I thought there were rules in place for them to carry on until one of them failed. Or do they just let the athletes make it up by themselves as they go along these days?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Manchester Mariner
August 2, 2021, 6:08pm

Exile

I thought there were rules in place for them to carry on until one of them failed. Or do they just let the athletes make it up by themselves as they go along these days?

I thought that was the case too, sudden death jump off. But no, it does seem to be within the Olympic rules that they can both get gold as they had identical records. The official confirmed just before the tears flowed, the official had a clipboard and everything. Either way, it was a heart warming moment.

Just imagine if that happened at the Euro's final? Although there was some crazytalk on here about how it should've been shared as nobody really won.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
GollyGTFC
August 3, 2021, 6:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,042
Gold Stars: 358
Holy $h!t!!!! 45.94s!!!!

Karsten Warholm obliterates the 400M Hurdles world record by 0.76s and has broken the 46 second barrier.

The 47 second barrier used to be a thing at 400m Hurdles before Kevin Young did it at Barcelona in 1992. But nobody has ever mentioned the 46 second barrier as it seemed totally impossible.

You have to feel for the American in 2nd place who broke the previous WR by over half a second and still losing convincingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 53
aldi_01
August 3, 2021, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Holy $h!t!!!! 45.94s!!!!

Karsten Warholm obliterates the 400M Hurdles world record by 0.76s and has broken the 46 second barrier.

The 47 second barrier used to be a thing at 400m Hurdles before Kevin Young did it at Barcelona in 1992. But nobody has ever mentioned the 46 second barrier as it seemed totally impossible.

You have to feel for the American in 2nd place who broke the previous WR by over half a second and still losing convincingly.

That’s some time to smash too…serious graft that.

A bit like the Germans in the cycling…they were like machines.

I thought the sharing thing was a good idea and if both athletes agree I can’t see an issue. They were literally identical and neither seemed arsed about carrying on.

Anyone see the article/snapshot information about rowing receiving millions more in funding than anything else? Can’t find it now but interesting nonetheless. Meanwhile, our amazing BMXer works as a TA and has done crowd funding to afford the chance to attend competition etc…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Maringer
August 3, 2021, 4:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Super spikes, innit? Bolt reckons he'd have run under 9.5 seconds if he'd had the same technology in his prime.

That's not to say that Warholm isn't a bit good, but the times need to be taken into context. A bit like when the swimmers were breaking records in the pool the other year wearing their 'shark skin' costumes which I think were subsequently banned?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Maringer
August 3, 2021, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Oh, and the track isn't exactly the same as usual, either:

https://www.theguardian.com/sp.....rds-fall-at-olympics
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
Manchester Mariner
August 3, 2021, 5:15pm

Exile
In fairness to Warholm he says that he doesn't use super spikes and seems dead against them.

"The Norwegian, who was speaking after winning gold in 45.94sec, a world record and a performance widely recognised as one of the greatest in history, said his great rival Rai Benjamin “ran on air”, adding: “He had those things in his shoes, which I hate.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sp.....nd-field-credibility

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Olympics ‘match’ thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.