LH
July 23, 2021, 2:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Les Brechin
*Mullin.

No - they’ve accidentally signed Lee’s brother. Fenty loaned them some expertise after the success of the Makofo signing.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
GollyGTFC
July 23, 2021, 2:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
34 goals is impressive but some context...

He took 12 penalties. He scored 9 of them & scored from a rebound for 1 of the 3 he missed. So 10 penalty goals.

There's a video on Youtube of his 34 goals last season & a lot of clever through balls and slide rule passes (Wes Hoolahan is at Cambridge pulling the strings) gave him 1 on 1 chances against goalkeepers.

Despite their increased budget will Wrexham be able to assemble a team that can provide the sort of chances he had at Cambridge?

He will be a good signing. I would be surprised if he doesn't score 15-20 goals from open play plus any he scores from penalties (if he's on them), but I don't think it's a game changer. Leagues are won by teams and Wrexham are a long way short of having a scary looking squad as things stand with 4 weeks until kick-off.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 46
pizzzza
July 23, 2021, 2:56pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from DB

Or money!

Or sheep!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
RichMariner
July 23, 2021, 3:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
He had a Podge of a season for Cambridge!

God knows what they must have offered him to tempt him into non-league when he looked set to have a decent career in the Football League.

It's always a gamble giving players a three-year deal. We gave one to Hearn and we only really got one good season out of him because of injuries (and I don't think he'd have been on loads).

What would Wrexham think if Mullin does his ACL in the first game?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
diehardmariner
July 23, 2021, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Yeah, not one to worry about for me.

I think Golly sums it up nicely.  Decent player but hugely benefitted from having a genuine game changer behind in Hoolahan who was by a country mile the best player in League Two last season.

Yeah you've gotta take the chances and be in the right places etc. But he won't have a Hoolahan quality player in the Wrexham side this season teeing him up.  

Guess location had a factor to play and I completely get that players have a short career and quite rightly they want to make the best of it for themselves.  But dropping down two levels after a season where you break records with your goalscoring....
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
jamesgtfc
July 23, 2021, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Individuals don't win leagues sadly, if it doesn't work out for him in his first year then it will all be curtains. I've heard a wage mentioned north of £5,000 a week for 3 years. Let's build a togetherness where all our players are side by side.

Not good for team spirit. Pearson was captain there and one hour away from signing. I appreciate everyone doesn't get paid the same but when someone is on that much and the core of the squad is on 4-5x less it's a recipe for disaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
quebec38
July 23, 2021, 3:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Individuals don’t win leagues and spending money doesn’t guarantee success but you can’t deny this is likely to be the biggest signing in Div 5 this season by a long way.

This guy has just scored 32 goals in one season in the league above and been voted the best player in that division. You would be forgiven then for thinking he’s probably at least League One standard yet he’s just dropped down a division.

Money talks. Most other clubs probably can’t compete in the NL but there’s no shame in that as frustrating as it is.

Interesting to see what next for Wrexham.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
Les Brechin
July 23, 2021, 3:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from quebec38
Individuals don’t win leagues and spending money doesn’t guarantee success but you can’t deny this is likely to be the biggest signing in Div 5 this season by a long way.

This guy has just scored 32 goals in one season in the league above and been voted the best player in that division. You would be forgiven then for thinking he’s probably at least League One standard yet he’s just dropped down a division.

Money talks. Most other clubs probably can’t compete in the NL but there’s no shame in that as frustrating as it is.

Interesting to see what next for Wrexham.

He's dropped down 2 divisions really seeing that Cambridge would be in League One this coming season.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
GollyGTFC
July 23, 2021, 3:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
From what I can see other than Mullin Wrexham have signed a player who couldn't get a game at Morecambe, a player who was in out and out of the team at Port Vale before being binned off by Darryl Clarke, a centre back from Southend who hardly got a game for them in back-to-back relegation seasons & a 31-year-old from Halifax.

Mullin is their only high profile signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Mullen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.