Son of Cod
July 4, 2021, 12:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I had a decent drive last night so listened to both parts of the Steven Davies one. Up there as one of the best, Nigel Clough is a character. Interesting at the end that he said Barrow were trying to sign him for the run in this season despite him retiring a year ago!

But Parkinson doesn't come across well at all. Loved the story about him telling Davies on Monday mornings that he will be playing Saturday. Parkinson called Billy Clarke and James Hanson in on Friday so Davies walked in with them. Instead of telling him to leave he changed from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 and called a midfielder back to tell them they weren't playing!

He's a coward when it comes to releasing players too by all accounts.

I mentioned this whole thing about him being universally hated by all on Undr the Cosh on a thread on 1FF and a Colchester fan on there reckons that every Colchester player in the side that went up that he's heard talking about Parkinson absolutely loves him! So who knows?! Must be a bit of both really, the fact that Parkin hates him so much leads me to think maybe there's some kind of agenda there on his part. However, some of the stories are pretty damning. Particularly the one you've mentioned about the formation change. I'd imagine there's definitely no smoke without fire.

Would be interested to hear which other ones you've enjoyed? I'm relatively new to it having avoided it for ages because I was annoyed at the Town/Paul Linwood stuff! If you've not listened to the Mark Ward one, I couldn't recommend that more. I knew nothing about him, but it's really interesting hearing about his life in prison. I think I'll probably end up getting a copy of his book at some point. Just scrolling through seeing which others I've enjoyed and noticed there's a Simon Ramsden one. That'll be my next one for sure. Not a huge fan of him, but I enjoyed the Danny Mills one too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
arryarryarry
July 4, 2021, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC
If you are a regular listener to Undr the Cosh podcast you will know that no one seems to have a good word to say about Phil Parkinson.

Rowan Vine & Steven Davies were particularly scathing about him and what sort of man he is.

Could be a very good appointment for us.

I find it quite sad that some are suggesting/hoping that Wrexham will fail miserably this coming season. I thought we had the Non League experienced Messiah to lead us to promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Grantley
July 4, 2021, 2:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

I find it quite sad that some are suggesting/hoping that Wrexham will fail miserably this coming season. I thought we had the Non League experienced Messiah to lead us to promotion.

So you’re saying that you’d rather Wrexham finish first instead of us?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
arryarryarry
July 4, 2021, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Grantley

So you’re saying that you’d rather Wrexham finish first instead of us?

WTF, did I say that?

If Wrexham perform better than us then they deserve to finish ahead of us. You are quite clearly a sad fooker if you want other teams to fail so that's the only we can get promoted. To get promoted you need to be better than the rest, not rely on other teams being crap or badly managed.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
mariner91
July 4, 2021, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from arryarryarry

WTF, did I say that?

If Wrexham perform better than us then they deserve to finish ahead of us. You are quite clearly a sad fooker if you want other teams to fail so that's the only we can get promoted. To get promoted you need to be better than the rest, not rely on other teams being crap or badly managed.

Yes but the worse your opposition is, the easier it is to get promoted. I don't think it's sad at all to hope that all the other teams in the NL this season are really rubbish and underwhelming.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
jamesgtfc
July 4, 2021, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Son of Cod

I mentioned this whole thing about him being universally hated by all on Undr the Cosh on a thread on 1FF and a Colchester fan on there reckons that every Colchester player in the side that went up that he's heard talking about Parkinson absolutely loves him! So who knows?! Must be a bit of both really, the fact that Parkin hates him so much leads me to think maybe there's some kind of agenda there on his part. However, some of the stories are pretty damning. Particularly the one you've mentioned about the formation change. I'd imagine there's definitely no smoke without fire.

Would be interested to hear which other ones you've enjoyed? I'm relatively new to it having avoided it for ages because I was annoyed at the Town/Paul Linwood stuff! If you've not listened to the Mark Ward one, I couldn't recommend that more. I knew nothing about him, but it's really interesting hearing about his life in prison. I think I'll probably end up getting a copy of his book at some point. Just scrolling through seeing which others I've enjoyed and noticed there's a Simon Ramsden one. That'll be my next one for sure. Not a huge fan of him, but I enjoyed the Danny Mills one too.

I've got a lot to catch up on but the Martin Allen one is great. It's a 2 parter. Runaway did one which I listened to way back when Jolley was our manager. I listened to Danny Mills the other week and that was a good insight into the England set up but listen to Simon Ramsden because that is an absolute belter. I didn't realise how much of a hardcore Sunderland fan he is and how much he hates Newcastle. I won't say any more than that!

The Clarke Carlisle one is deep but brilliant. I made my missus listen to the Lenny Pidgeley one because it just summed up how I feel and act when depression kicks in.

Carlton Palmer is well worth a listen and so is Aaron Wilbraham too, although he does think the sun shines out of Runaways back side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
Heswall Mariner
July 4, 2021, 6:40pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Next season is not going to be a 'walk in the park' for us.
There are the Notts/ Stockport Counties,  Chesterfields, Wrexhams etc. fallen league clubs like our selves plus the Suttons coming from nowhere.
They, like ourselves, have invested heavily in commitment, optimism & expect instant success.
I am up there with the positivity - but will not be on a rant if we don't take off like a rocket
Mark you I still live in hope - I am a lost cause after 60 plus years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
GollyGTFC
July 6, 2021, 8:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from arryarryarry

I’ve simply pointed out the opinion of a couple of former players of Phil Parkinson which points to him having limited people skills. I couldn’t care less where Wrexham finish this season apart from behind Town.

Have you ever seen any stories about Paul Hurst treating players poorly? I haven’t.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 37
GollyGTFC
July 6, 2021, 8:49am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Next season is not going to be a 'walk in the park' for us.
There are the Notts/ Stockport Counties,  Chesterfields, Wrexhams etc. fallen league clubs like our selves plus the Suttons coming from nowhere.
They, like ourselves, have invested heavily in commitment, optimism & expect instant success.
I am up there with the positivity - but will not be on a rant if we don't take off like a rocket
Mark you I still live in hope - I am a lost cause after 60 plus years.

I think Torquay will be the team to beat given their manager is a National League winning expert. If we finish 1 place above them we’ll be the Champions in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 37
jamesgtfc
July 6, 2021, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think Torquay will be the team to beat given their manager is a National League winning expert. If we finish 1 place above them we’ll be the Champions in my opinion.

It's a tough league for sure but we knew that already. I think Wrexham will struggle this season but there is still Torquay, Notts County and Chesterfield who will all fancy themselves. Not sure how Southend are shaping up either.

I've never been one to think finishing in the play-offs is a failure, especially in a division where only champions go up automatically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Parkinson appointed as Wrexham manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.