Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ira Jackson.??
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 218 Guests

Ira Jackson.??

This thread currently has 6,283 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
June 30, 2021, 10:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Has he been released.??

If so a bad decision i thought he looked good.
Would have been good at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Youngy
July 1, 2021, 2:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,675
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Yoda
Has he been released.??

No he hasn't been released, he's been told he can find a new club and leave for nothing if there is interest.

Hurst clearly doesn't see it with him, he see's him train day in, day out. He obviously feels he can find better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
livosnose
July 1, 2021, 3:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Yeh he’s a good guy yada yada yada . Rather have a male masturbator that’s scores goals . If God really loves / backs him he’s be at man United

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
lukeo
July 1, 2021, 7:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
I'm with Hurst on this one. Seems a really decent bloke off the pitch but on it I just don't thiink he's good enough to help us push on and aim for promotion, sorry Ira.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
Hagrid
July 1, 2021, 7:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Good speaker. Not good enough for a promotion side
Well done Holloway again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
Meza
July 1, 2021, 7:41am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
PH might not like that he has his own business and did a book he might see it as not 100% committed.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
jimgtfc
July 1, 2021, 7:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Meza
PH might not like that he has his own business and did a book he might see it as not 100% committed.

He also might think he’s not a good enough footballer

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
brigg_mariner
July 1, 2021, 8:04am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Yoda
Has he been released.??

How about we trust the management & the process for a change?

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 1, 2021, 8:07am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
Nice guy, comes across well and seems to have good attitude. Happy to trust Hurst will make the right decision on players he works with every day but I suppose some fans were hoping that Jackson would be serviceable enough to make it with Town. It's a shame but that's football.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
Rick12
July 1, 2021, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Quoted from Youngy

No he hasn't been released, he's been told he can find a new club and leave for nothing if there is interest.

Hurst clearly doesn't see it with him, he see's him train day in, day out. He obviously feels he can find better.
That saddens me. He's someone with a great attitude and I liked his mindset from the outset. Hopefully Ira Jackson Jr can knuckle down and work hard and prove Paul Hurst wrong.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
jaygy
July 1, 2021, 9:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
He says on his twitter that he is still planning to return to Pre-season training. Must be a tough situation to be in for any player to know you're unwanted but still contracted to the club. Maybe a loan move will be good if he can't find another club and maybe put himself in the shop window or even work his way into PH's plans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
RichMariner
July 1, 2021, 10:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
It's always harder to see someone set for release when you know they're a decent person off the pitch and not in it for the pay cheque.

We know Hurst likes good characters and Ira seems to be one — but that, clearly, isn't always enough.

I didn't think we saw enough of him in matches for us fans to form an opinion but, as others have already said, PH watches Ira every single day. All his decisions will be well-informed and based on a big dose of reality.

If I were Ira, I'd maybe think that I wasn't given enough chances in the first team to prove my worth, but if he's a decent pro with a level head, he should know that he'll get fixed up somewhere else soon enough if he puts the work in.

Good luck to him. I'm sure he'll get a chance somewhere else and do well.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
dapperz fun pub
July 1, 2021, 10:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Why don’t we fill the team with good lads with good attitude seems to be the thing on here ..glad to see hurst isn’t having any of that and footballing ability seems to be the main requirement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
Grimsbynewhope
July 1, 2021, 10:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Being a nice guy with a good attitude isn’t all that’s required to be a professional footballer unfortunately, he’s just not at level at the moment to be included in Hursts plans.
I wish the guy well and he’s serious about progress he’ll be trying to push for a move as soon as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
Rick12
July 1, 2021, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Why don’t we fill the team with good lads with good attitude seems to be the thing on here ..glad to see hurst isn’t having any of that and footballing ability seems to be the main requirement

Good attitude goes a long way in football as it does in life though. I agree you need some ability at respective levels of the game but I rather have a team of steady eddy's with excellent attitudes who will constantly try to improve themselves as opposed to players who are really good but can blow hot or cold and not willing to sacrifice. Its a tough one though as football is such a short career especially for players in the lower echelons where money isn't great and most if they don't make it higher up will have to do another job once their careers have finished. You compare that to likes of Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid who was on 17. 5 million a year at 35

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
immariner
July 1, 2021, 11:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
When you look at the season he had before he joined us, scoring 24 in 36 from right wing, 2 divisions below the conference, you'd like to think that the conference wouldn't be a step too far for him, as league 2 appeared to be. Although weirdly, no one seemed to know he was a winger and not a striker until the back end of the season. Sort of demonstrates he was probably signed by Holloway simply because of the amount of goals he scored, with little to no other homework done. Same with Gibson. I hope he can come back to pre-season training and force his way into the team as a winger. If he doesn't and he moves on, trust PH's judgement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
Jarmo.Is.God
July 1, 2021, 11:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from jaygy
He says on his twitter that he is still planning to return to Pre-season training. Must be a tough situation to be in for any player to know you're unwanted but still contracted to the club. Maybe a loan move will be good if he can't find another club and maybe put himself in the shop window or even work his way into PH's plans

tbf, i would be more surprised if he didn't return for pre-season.

Even Mohsni was training after he was released  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
toontown
July 1, 2021, 12:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
he didn't offer enough in general play when playing last season and Hurst obviously doesn't rate him but he did seem to have an eye for goal,  which is such a vital skill. Personally I would have liked to see him loaned out to a fellow NL side if possible, for halfa season, see how he gets on at our level. If he can cut it we can bring him back for the run-in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
Bigdog
July 1, 2021, 2:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from jaygy

He had a good record in a league where nearly every player has a day job before training and playing matches. Even the NL is a huge step up from where he came from. He's already 24, it's about time for him to think about a longer term career out of football, and post current GTFC contract, supplement his income handsomely by an extra couple of hundred quid a week playing the sport he clearly loves.. Good on him for returning to pre-season training, but I hope he'll be using our club's stature to secure a move to the best appropriate level where his talent will thrive..

Having been plucked from the lower leagues, Spokes has taken his narrow window of opportunity, Jackson, Sisay and Gibson haven't. It's just how football is..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
dapperz fun pub
July 1, 2021, 4:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Rick12

Good attitude goes a long way in football as it does in life though. I agree you need some ability at respective levels of the game but I rather have a team of steady eddy's with excellent attitudes who will constantly try to improve themselves as opposed to players who are really good but can blow hot or cold and not willing to sacrifice. Its a tough one though as football is such a short career especially for players in the lower echelons where money isn't great and most if they don't make it higher up will have to do another job once their careers have finished. You compare that to likes of Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid who was on 17. 5 million a year at 35

If we fill the team with steady Eddie’s trying to improve we’re in for a long stay in the conference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
Rick12
July 1, 2021, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

If we fill the team with steady Eddie’s trying to improve we’re in for a long stay in the conference
It's a tough one though Dapperz as Hurst is constrained by money . At conference level your not going to get a great deal of quality. It's why having the players in with the right mindset can make a difference. I think Sean Pearson encapsulates that more than anyone.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
moosey_club
July 1, 2021, 6:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Rick12
That saddens me. He's someone with a great attitude and I liked his mindset from the outset. Hopefully Ira Jackson Jr can knuckle down and work hard and prove Paul Hurst wrong.

This. I think Holloway fcked him about, set standards, moved goalposts, offered him on loan and he battled through those and got a couple of goals in very limited appearances.
Feel sorry for him as after all that and overcoming those hurdles he basically gets binned off.
Whatever he decides to do I wish him the best, better attitude than some of the older pro's we had last season so deserves some rewards somewhere.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Rick12
July 1, 2021, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Whatever he decides to do I wish him the best, better attitude than some of the older pro's we had last season so deserves some rewards somewhere.
Good on you Moosey. Always nice to see  fans supporting players especially when they try. For me personally it's a trait I admire tremendously. I think Ira Jackson Jr is one of those  who has the same mindset as Christiano Ronaldo . Works and sacrifices to the best of his respective ability. In my view a top man.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Zmariner
July 1, 2021, 10:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Rick12
Good on you Moosey. Always nice to see  fans supporting players especially when they try. For me personally it's a trait I admire tremendously. I think Ira Jackson Jr is one of those  who has the same mindset as Christiano Ronaldo . Works and sacrifices to the best of his respective ability. In my view a top man.

Hundred percent in agreement with that, who on earth red crossed your last comment. How could anybody have a negative comment about the attitude of Ira Jackson run into him in Tesco’s once. A good bloke and I wish him nothing but absolute success in everything he does utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
Rick12
July 1, 2021, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

Hundred percent in agreement with that, who on earth red crossed your last comment. How could anybody have a negative comment about the attitude of Ira Jackson run into him in Tesco’s once. A good bloke and I wish him nothing but absolute success in everything he does utm
Thanks Zmariner. Vicente Del Bosque ex Spain manager summed it up when he said said football reflects life.

You always want to see those who try and sacrifice for the greater good of things succeed not just  in football but also life.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
aldi_01
July 2, 2021, 6:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Effort and attitude mean a lot and Jackson clearly has that but equally, for a manager it’s finding a balance between that and ability and sadly, for whatever reason I don’t think Jackson quite has the ability.

I’m sure he’ll make good with his career and more but equally we’re in the conference and I’m sure we’d all agree, we’d like to get out sooner rather than later and if that means moving folk on so be it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Maringer
July 2, 2021, 7:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
There are plenty of players who have the ability but just don't put in the effort (and we've seen a lot of them at BP in recent seasons!). At the other end of the scale, you have players who are limited in ability but absolutely work their bits off to make as much of themselves as they can. Either type can be effective in the lower divisions as long as they aren't at the extreme ends of the scale but if you're too close to either it's not worth having them. Hurst obviously thinks Jackson is too limited to do a job for us and I think we all agree that Gibson certainly is too limited.

The question is whether the likes of Scannell can be nudged to put enough effort in.

It's simplifying things a bit because, obviously, there are players with both ability and the work ethic, but you don't find too many of them in the lower divisions/non-league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Rick12
July 2, 2021, 8:47am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
There are plenty of players who have the ability but just don't put in the effort (and we've seen a lot of them at BP in recent seasons!). At the other end of the scale, you have players who are limited in ability but absolutely work their bits off to make as much of themselves as they can. Either type can be effective in the lower divisions as long as they aren't at the extreme ends of the scale but if you're too close to either it's not worth having them. Hurst obviously thinks Jackson is too limited to do a job for us and I think we all agree that Gibson certainly is too limited.

It's simplifying things a bit because, obviously, there are players with both ability and the work ethic, but you don't find too many of them in the lower divisions/non-league.
Some good points there Maringer. I remember Scott Neilson from the 2014 squad. Skilful player but his heart wasn't completely commited to the game. Another one is Peter Sweeney. A very fluid player and probably could of cut it in the championship on a regular basis had he been more disciplined. For me it's a shame when you see players like these not fulfilling their potential.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Fillipe Noche
July 2, 2021, 9:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Don’t rate him I’m afraid as a player that’s going to contribute what we need
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Zmariner
July 2, 2021, 10:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Don’t rate him I’m afraid as a player that’s going to contribute what we need

I would not be surprised if either Jackson or Montel Gibson turned out to be very competent national league players. Time will tell. I love the way our squad is developing.but.feel that we are at least one very mobile striker.short at this point and possibly 2
This is a division where you need 2points out of every three available to win the league. On this basis and from our time down there before you need to win a lot of games. Hurstwas always brilliant at building a defensive unit but to win the league you need to be.very attack minded.Fleetwood and Crawley in their promotion seasons had a lot of good forwards
Utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
jamesgtfc
July 2, 2021, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Zmariner

I would not be surprised if either Jackson or Montel Gibson turned out to be very competent national league players. Time will tell. I love the way our squad is developing.but.feel that we are at least one very mobile striker.short at this point and possibly 2
This is a division where you need 2points out of every three available to win the league. On this basis and from our time down there before you need to win a lot of games. Hurstwas always brilliant at building a defensive unit but to win the league you need to be.very attack minded.Fleetwood and Crawley in their promotion seasons had a lot of good forwards
Utm

I'm hoping somebody in the squad can deliver a decent set piece because we've got our fair share of big lads to cause problems in the box.

I do think we need someone up front who can play on the shoulder and give defenders something else to think about though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
diehardmariner
July 2, 2021, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Zmariner

Utm

I would like to think that the thinking is that there's little point in developing either Gibson and/or Jackson to be competent non-league players as for the 9-12 months we could spend doing so, we'll be back in the league and looking for players with the potential and ability to go a bit further (ideally with us).

Completely agree with you and James that we will need a bit more mobility, although McAtee looks like he's got a bit of pace about him and then let's not forget Max Wright.  I get the feel we'll be lining up quite often with a 3-4-3 system for quite a lot of the season with the emphasis on the wingers/wide strikers the ones who are really stretching the defence.  Plus, it's only July with a lot of players just leaving previous clubs.  I'm sure Hurst has a list of targets as long as his arm.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
July 2, 2021, 11:21am
Guest User
I'm a bit concerned over the amount of people who are taking it for granted that we will get promoted next season.  I agree that things are going great for us on all fronts atm, and I am really hoping that we can do it.  However, there are a few other teams out there who have the same ambition!  Just saying......
Reply: 32 - 34
TonySmith
July 2, 2021, 2:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
     Absolutely agree. We all hope for promotion back to the league but there will be a lot of hard work needed to achieve that. I think we'll get the hard work, but we will also need a fair bit of luck too ( not too many marginal decisions going against us, not losing key players to long term injury etc. ) and that you can't legislate for. There will be at least 8 - 10 teams in the National League next season with genuine aspirations towards promotion, and another 8 -10 who will park the bus in desperation to avoid relegation, which is to say that very few games will be an easy 3 points.

I hope we will remember that not every game will go our way and there will be ups and downs and maybe the occasional disaster. Having said that, I fully expect us to be at least in the playoff zone by the end of the season, but it's unlikely to be the smooth sailing so many people seem to assume.

I hope I'm wrong and we storm straight through to automatic promotion by Easter!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 2, 2021, 8:03pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from TonySmith
     Absolutely agree. We all hope for promotion back to the league but there will be a lot of hard work needed to achieve that. I think we'll get the hard work, but we will also need a fair bit of luck too ( not too many marginal decisions going against us, not losing key players to long term injury etc. ) and that you can't legislate for. There will be at least 8 - 10 teams in the National League next season with genuine aspirations towards promotion, and another 8 -10 who will park the bus in desperation to avoid relegation, which is to say that very few games will be an easy 3 points.

I hope we will remember that not every game will go our way and there will be ups and downs and maybe the occasional disaster. Having said that, I fully expect us to be at least in the playoff zone by the end of the season, but it's unlikely to be the smooth sailing so many people seem to assume.

I hope I'm wrong and we storm straight through to automatic promotion by Easter Christmas!

Just corrected your post there Tony
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ira Jackson.??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.