15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
June 30, 2021, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
What I liked about yesterdays performance was Raheem Sterling and Harry Maguire. Raheem Sterling is not afraid to take on defences and not play it safe as has happened with some players this tournament. Great mentality and good ability and my favourite England player. Harry Maguire is a lump at the back but yesterday put in a determined performance.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 146
Maringer
June 30, 2021, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,648
Gold Stars: 189
Maguire is a better passer of the ball than Mings and we've looked much improved since he came back in. Trippier has learned a lot about defending in Spain and looks accomplished and his deliveries are decent as well. Walker has become defensively much more solid as he's got older and knows he doesn't need to be bombing up the line all the time. Does decently in the back 3 as well.

I'd actually argue that the Germans had just as many good chances as us last night. Pickford pulled off a really good save from Werner after they played through us very easily early on, there was Mueller's scuffed effort when clean through and Havertz forced Pickford into another really good save. For us, Sterling's long range effort was decent, but wasn't going to beat Neuer without an error, then there was Kane's chance which he couldn't control before the two goals went in later on. Pretty much evens, except that we took our chances. If we were snuffing out the opposition and barely giving them a half chance, I'd be a lot more positive, but we didn't last night and the Germans had more possession and more shots, we committed more fouls and had more bookings. I think we can play better and hope we will.

A good chance to progress against Ukraine but I hope the pundits don't start going on about how they will be tired following their exertions. I remember what happened when the same was said about Croatia a few years back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 146
Rick12
June 30, 2021, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

A good chance to progress against Ukraine but I hope the pundits don't start going on about how they will be tired following their exertions. I remember what happened when the same was said about Croatia a few years back.
Interesting point you make about the media. This can affect players performance and people start believing the hype and standards can dip. I always go back to what Stanley Matthews the brilliant English winger said in his autobiography. "My dad use to say todays game is tomorrows fish and chip paper". Your only as good as your last game.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 146
golfer
June 30, 2021, 8:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Is it coincidence that we scored 2 goals after Grealish came on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 146
Hagrid
June 30, 2021, 8:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from golfer

Probably. thought Saka played well and was surprised when he came off but
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 146
Rick12
June 30, 2021, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from golfer
I rate Jack Grealish highly . Whenever I see him looks a classy midfielder.  I think has natural ability in abundance.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 146
Jarmo.Is.God
June 30, 2021, 9:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Grealish comes on against tired defenders that have been chasing Stirling and Saka for 70mins

He then does his stuff, and defenders make lazy tackles, give away fouls, or just simply too tired to get anywhere near him.

Sometimes fans have to admit they was wrong..

Before the tournament:
Pickford can't start, too many mistakes... 9/10 times his distribution is on point, and has made some crucial saves... been incredible so far.

Maguire can't play, not fit enough.... he is genuinely world class
Sterling is poor, his club form as been poor for ages.... scored 3 in 4 games, and people still say he shouldn't be starting  

But the biggest surprise for me, is Kalvin Philliips.
I don't watch too much premier league football, especially with no fans.
I was lead to believe he only makes side-ward passes etc.... What a player he is!

4 games
4 goals
0 conceeded

we have the 2nd average youngest squad, only Turkey have a younger squad... Positive few years coming up with this squad and manager IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 146
Rodley Mariner
June 30, 2021, 10:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Grealish comes on against tired defenders that have been chasing Stirling and Saka for 70mins

He then does his stuff, and defenders make lazy tackles, give away fouls, or just simply too tired to get anywhere near him.

Before the tournament:
Pickford can't start, too many mistakes... 9/10 times his distribution is on point, and has made some crucial saves... been incredible so far.

Sterling is poor, his club form as been poor for ages.... scored 3 in 4 games, and people still say he shouldn't be starting  

I was lead to believe he only makes side-ward passes etc.... What a player he is!

4 games
4 goals
0 conceeded

we have the 2nd average youngest squad, only Turkey have a younger squad... Positive few years coming up with this squad and manager IMO

Great post. Have people been watching usbin tournaments for the last 40 years? If you thinl this has beem bad......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 146
Rick12
June 30, 2021, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Good post Jarmo. Its why I dont always pay attention to what fans/even sometimes what the media says. I always go on what I see in games. Performances change fans and media views alike.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 146
Sandford1981
June 30, 2021, 10:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Before the tournament:

4 games
4 goals
0 conceeded

A good summary barring the Harry Maguire ‘world class’ part. He’s a very good and solid centre half but let’s not get silly.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 146
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Deutschland Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.