TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 29, 2021, 10:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Beats Borat.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
Yossarian
June 29, 2021, 10:52am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,093
Gold Stars: 18
Very impressive.  And serious quality in his career and background.  A football club is more than just a football club - sounds like he totally gets it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
acko338
June 29, 2021, 12:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
At last - a businessman with strong opinions, wealth and a heart to put back into the community.

I recimmend this as an essential read into Jason's outlook on the town and our football team being part of a comeback into community cohesion.

Yes - he really gets it !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
Grimsbynewhope
June 29, 2021, 1:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Wonder where all the red crosses are coming from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
Bristol Mariner
June 29, 2021, 1:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope

Fenty’s mob. Like a bad penny

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
rancido
June 29, 2021, 1:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96

We do have some very immature , or mentally at least, contributors to this site, so maybe from that contingent. I know everyone is allowed an opinion but it would be beneficial if somebody who red crossed that article could explain their thinking in disagreeing with it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
Northbank Mariner
June 29, 2021, 1:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172

PP!??🤭🤭
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
thornemariner
June 29, 2021, 2:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
A really insightful article.

I've read all of the comments and am really pleased at how so many people wish our club all the best for the future. Quite a few keeping an eye out for us as a second team and some nostalgic contributions too. Well worth having a look at.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
June 29, 2021, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
I would have preferred a more positive article about Grimsby the place, and more about the proud history of GTFC.

I admire what the new owners are doing for the club, but poverty and decline are relative, and many towns and communities suffer from the ebbs and flows of economic activity, government decisions of all colours and the overreliance of the southeast on the UK economy.

Taking everything into account North East Lincolnshire is a great place to live; obviously, we would all like it even better, but we can improve everything in time but I wish National articles like this would focus more on the positive aspects, instead of going over the decline of the fishing industry again and our shortcomings which are not exclusive to Grimsby.

One man ruined GTFC, but we are seemingly in safe hands with the new owners, but personally I think they are overestimating the impact it will have on the wider community apart from the feel-good factor of having a more successful club.

Probably the biggest impact they could have on the wider community is to fund, or find funds for a new community stadium if they can.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
ska face
June 29, 2021, 2:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
I would have preferred a more positive article about Grimsby the place, and more about the proud history of GTFC.

I admire what the new owners are doing for the club, but poverty and decline are relative, and many towns and communities suffer from the ebbs and flows of economic activity, government decisions of all colours and the overreliance of the southeast on the UK economy.

Taking everything into account North East Lincolnshire is a great place to live; obviously, we would all like it even better, but we can improve everything in time but I wish National articles like this would focus more on the positive aspects, instead of going over the decline of the fishing industry again and our shortcomings which are not exclusive to Grimsby.

One man ruined GTFC, but we are seemingly in safe hands with the new owners, but personally I think they are overestimating the impact it will have on the wider community apart from the feel-good factor of having a more successful club.

Probably the biggest impact they could have on the wider community is to fund, or find funds for a new community stadium if they can.

You trot this same line out every single time anyone dares criticise the town. Yeah, for some people it is a nice place to live - if you’ve got the money to buy a big house at a relatively low price, don’t have too many concerns about a stable income and can afford some of life’s luxuries like going out of town for the day for some entertainment.

But this isn’t the experience shared by everyone, especially not those in the wards mentioned in the article, where you’re relying on local services (or lack thereof), and your entertainment is limited to the town’s dwindling offer.

Plus, “local man buys club where everything is great, hopes for continuity” isn’t much of a story…
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jason Stockwood article in The Guardian

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.