UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/june/macca-given-testimonial/

Quoted Text
Town goalkeeper James McKeown has been granted a testimonial year – and it will kick off against League One Rotherham United.

The clash, on Saturday, 24th July, will be the only pre-season game at Blundell Park for the Mariners and the first at home under the club’s new owners.

I was expecting more than one home preseason game? Does that take us to 4 or 5 games before the big kick off?

Cleethorpes (A)
Boston (A)
Alfreton (A)
Rotherham (H)

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
June 28, 2021, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
After years of neglect they probably want to give the pitch as long as possible.

We've got Cleethorpes too and at least one Lincs Cup tie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
GollyGTFC
June 28, 2021, 10:00am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from brigg_mariner
I was expecting more than one home preseason game? Does that take us to 3 or 4 games before the big kick off?

Boston (A)
Alfreton (A)
Rotherham (H)

The issue is the EFL starts 2 weeks before the NL. Most EFL clubs would want to be playing non-league clubs maybe 3 weeks before they kick-off. 3 weeks before the EFL starts we will only be at the end of our first week of training and playing Cleethorpes. Not really compatible with having meaningful home friendlies.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 23
brigg_mariner
June 28, 2021, 10:05am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from jamesgtfc
After years of neglect they probably want to give the pitch as long as possible.

Ah yes, forgot about Clee, will add that to my list.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
jamesgtfc
June 28, 2021, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from brigg_mariner

Ah yes, forgot about Clee, will add that to my list.

Gainsborough seems to be an annual friendly too so I would expect to see us travel there at some point.

Anyway, we've got 4x as many friendlies on the calendar than last season, I feel so spoilt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Swansea_Mariner
June 28, 2021, 10:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Great news for Macca.

Slightly off topic but do you reckon the new owners will get Livo the testimonial game that he never had? Would be great to put right that longstanding wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
June 28, 2021, 10:51am
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The issue is the EFL starts 2 weeks before the NL. Most EFL clubs would want to be playing non-league clubs maybe 3 weeks before they kick-off. 3 weeks before the EFL starts we will only be at the end of our first week of training and playing Cleethorpes. Not really compatible with having meaningful home friendlies.

As I understand it, pre-season friendlies are there for the players to get their fitness up.

Reply: 6 - 23
GollyGTFC
June 28, 2021, 11:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 123614

As I understand it, pre-season friendlies are there for the players to get their fitness up.

Most clubs like to increase the quality of opposition in preseason games as they increase their fitness.

So an EFL club won’t be interested in playing a NL club on either Saturday 24th or 31st July as they will be wanting to be playing fellow EFL clubs ahead of their season starting on 7th August.

And we won’t be interested in playing an EFL club earlier than that as we will be at the start of preseason and facing Cleethorpes Town and teams around their level.

Have I dumbed that down enough for you to understand yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 23
GollyGTFC
June 28, 2021, 11:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Gainsborough seems to be an annual friendly too so I would expect to see us travel there at some point.

Anyway, we've got 4x as many friendlies on the calendar than last season, I feel so spoilt.

York City don’t have a preseason game planned on Saturday 14th August at their new stadium. Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 23
pizzzza
June 28, 2021, 11:42am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Which is against Spalding United away, I don't think a date has been set for that yet.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca Given Testimonial

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.