2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
June 9, 2021, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
The six wanta be clubs who intended to form the super league have been fined £20 million between them. A drop in the ocean compared to what they intended to do to football. Not even a wrap of the knuckles. Fines for the boys!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57414151

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Son of Cod
June 9, 2021, 3:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
They should have all been banned from The Champions League for a season and for those that aren't in it next season, then banned for a season the next time they make it. Spineless punishment in football for big boys though, what a shock.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
RonMariner
June 9, 2021, 3:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,795
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from DB
The six wanta be clubs who intended to form the super league have been fined £20 million between them. A drop in the ocean compared to what they intended to do to football. Not even a wrap of the knuckles. Fines for the boys!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57414151

They also got a million of so each in fines from Uefa, but again, peanuts.

If anyone was serious about this they would all be banned from the Champions League like Son of Cod says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
supertown
June 9, 2021, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
That’s all well and good but devaluing the competition by kicking out some of the top teams wouldn’t really do anyone any favours . Dont forget that would be a massive punishment for the fans who had no say in the matter at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
diehardmariner
June 9, 2021, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from supertown
That’s all well and good but devaluing the competition by kicking out some of the top teams wouldn’t really do anyone any favours . Dont forget that would be a massive punishment for the fans who had no say in the matter at all

But then you can always hide behind that then.

I agree with what you're saying, no-one wants the legitimate fans to suffer.  But what point do you say 'enough is enough'?

This paltry effort at punishment has just given the green light for them to try it again, which they will.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Sir Matt Tease
June 9, 2021, 4:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from supertown

Since when have fans mattered to these clubs ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Son of Cod
June 9, 2021, 4:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from supertown

You know what else would have devalued it? The Super League. The footballing world needed to send out a strong message and it's sent out a soft one. Again. I can't remember which pundit it was, but someone said something along the lines of "those that tried to organise the Super League weren't prepared for the backlash from the footballing world, but they're rich powerful people and they'll be back at some point soon and they'll be prepared next time". They're probably absolutely bang on with that, in my opinion.

And as much as my heart bleeds for those poor Man Utd fans that have had to endure life without Champions League football since 2018/19, the fans always suffer when a club receives a punishment though, it's harsh but that's the way it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
GrimRob
June 9, 2021, 4:10pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
I'm not bothered what the fine is. The real story was how public opinion and the overwhelming tide of revulsion against the idea, even from the fans of the clubs involved, scuppered it within a few days of the fanfare.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 11
DB
June 9, 2021, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from supertown

I would normally agree with you but the Glaziers didn't care about the Man Utd fans when they took over. Also what about the fans of clubs whom these teams would be visiting. Their fans would not be able to see some of what are the 'elite' players in Europe in action.

A fine is supposed to be a deterrent so £50 million each would put the wind up them and stop any further ideas of a super league.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
KingstonMariner
June 9, 2021, 7:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
sodomist banning them from the Chumps League. I’d ban them from the PL as well.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Super League Fine

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.