Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kevin van Veen.....surely not?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 209 Guests

Kevin van Veen.....surely not?

This thread currently has 4,889 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 9, 2021, 11:00am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Kevin van Veen has laughed off suggestions he could move to Grimsby Town following his departure from Scunthorpe United???

“If Paul Hurst does give me a ring, I will definitely see what he’s got to say, but at this moment Scunthorpe United was my club and Grimsby were the rivals, and that’s how I celebrated, and I would still stand behind that.”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....n-scunthorpe-5505837

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
pizzzza
June 9, 2021, 11:21am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I actually quite like that he takes the rivalry seriously. I wish some of the other crap Scunthorpe have sent us in the past *cough* Peter Beagrie *cough* thought likewise and did not join us.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
GollyGTFC
June 9, 2021, 11:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from pizzzza
I actually quite like that he takes the rivalry seriously. I wish some of the other crap Scunthorpe have sent us in the past *cough* Peter Beagrie *cough* thought likewise and did not join us.

I hope you're not including Terry Barwick in that category.

And KVV would be an excellent addition for any NL team.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 29
GollyGTFC
June 9, 2021, 11:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Kevin van Veen has laughed off suggestions he could move to Grimsby Town following his departure from Scunthorpe United???

“If Paul Hurst does give me a ring, I will definitely see what he’s got to say, but at this moment Scunthorpe United was my club and Grimsby were the rivals, and that’s how I celebrated, and I would still stand behind that.”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....n-scunthorpe-5505837

That sounds like a "come and get me" plea.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 29
Davec
June 9, 2021, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I can't see Hurst even looking at Van Veen, when he was Scunny manager didn't he drop him for a long time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
GollyGTFC
June 9, 2021, 11:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Davec
I can't see Hurst even looking at Van Veen, when he was Scunny manager didn't he drop him for a long time?

No, I think we had an injury at the start of the season and missed the first month & was a regular from the start of September until Hurst & Swann fell out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 29
mimma
June 9, 2021, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Remember how he was sulking when the Town fans were giving him grief?

Doesn't seem like a Paul Hurst type to me, goes missing when the going gets tough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
quebec38
June 9, 2021, 11:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Very good player at League Two level who will have a lot better offers elsewhere plus he’d probably want too much in wages.

Also a ginger pig.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 9, 2021, 11:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A contract that puts him in the shop window by scoring a hatful in the NL might be attractive. But it is all fairyland stuff really. Some L2 or even L1 club will most likely sign him before July..

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Hagrid
June 9, 2021, 12:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No, I think we had an injury at the start of the season and missed the first month & was a regular from the start of September until Hurst & Swann fell out.

incorrect, Hurst Barely played him, then he scored 2 against us in the mickey mouse cup and got game time after that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Son of Cod
June 9, 2021, 12:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pizzzza

Yeah, fair play to him for the knee slide. If players are taking it off fans and they ping one in (it was a great finish too to be fair) then they're well within their rights to do that, in my opinion. We'd have been buzzing if one of our lot did that to them, like we were when Ben Futcher sssssshhhhush'd the Lincoln fans in 2006.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Gainsbro_Mariner
June 9, 2021, 12:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
If he came to us opinion would be split, his previous antics and Anti-Town rhetoric obviously makes him unpopular but secretly I think lots of Town fans would be moderately happy with the signing from an on the field perspective because lets face it...at this level he would be a good signing for anyone.

He's a divisive figure (even amongst Scunny fans) and for that I can't see Hurst going for him. It's a bit of a bizarre statement to make though, it's like... "I love them, and I hate them but if the they want me I will go, but if I do go I may not be very good...and If I do go i don't want to upset anyone...but yet I'm willing to if it's right for me"

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
DB
June 9, 2021, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
If he came to us opinion would be split, his previous antics and Anti-Town rhetoric obviously makes him unpopular but secretly I think lots of Town fans would be moderately happy with the signing from an on the field perspective because lets face it...at this level he would be a good signing for anyone.

He's a divisive figure (even amongst Scunny fans) and for that I can't see Hurst going for him. It's a bit of a bizarre statement to make though, it's like... "I love them, and I hate them but if the they want me I will go, but if I do go I may not be very good...and If I do go i don't want to upset anyone...but yet I'm willing to if it's right for me"

What he really means is ' If they want to offer me some ridiculous amount of money I'll come '. We don't want mercenaries when you're building a team.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
RonMariner
June 9, 2021, 12:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226

Maybe, but then we thought that about Richard Brodie and he was crap for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Grimsbynewhope
June 9, 2021, 12:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Wouldn’t want to see him in a town shirt even if he paid to wear it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
June 9, 2021, 12:56pm
Guest User
He's a good player with a decent sense of humour and he understands the rivalry. At the end of the day he's just playing up to it and being the pantomime villan.

But we've nursed James Hanson through two years of injuries on presumably decent money and we cannot afford to do that again.
Reply: 15 - 29
June 9, 2021, 12:56pm
Guest User
Also, I'm old enough to remember us signing Tony Daws.  
Reply: 16 - 29
RonMariner
June 9, 2021, 12:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Quoted from 140381

Do you mind, I'm trying to forget that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
June 9, 2021, 1:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 140381

I'm old enough to remember us signing Kevin Kilmore and that didn't turn out too bad.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
moosey_club
June 9, 2021, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Quoted from 140381
He's a good player with a decent sense of humour and he understands the rivalry. At the end of the day he's just playing up to it and being the pantomime villan.

But we've nursed James Hanson through two years of injuries on presumably decent money and we cannot afford to do that again.

This in spades.
His last interview with the telly wag the other night summed it up,  he thought he had a contract offer on the table with Scunny last year, was told to concentrate on rehabilitating his injury and the contract would be sorted when he returned ....he returned played a game and then his hamstring went.
Too old to lay up for a while and then come back in  without something else flaring up......just like Hanson unfortunately.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Kris2
June 9, 2021, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from RonMariner

Maybe, but then we thought that about Richard Brodie and he was crap for us.

Tbf Brodie was naff for most teams he played for in his career. Very much the definition of a one season wonder that got too big of a head after getting big offers on the back of that, he pretty much threw his career away being lazy and unfit after one good season.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Gainsbro_Mariner
June 9, 2021, 1:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Kris2

Tbf Brodie was naff for most teams he played for in his career. Very much the definition of a one season wonder that got too big of a head after getting big offers on the back of that, he pretty much threw his career away being lazy and unfit after one good season.

Wouldn't necessarily say one season wonder but understand what you mean. Brodie was hammering them in left right and centre for about 2 or 3 seasons for York when they were at National League level. I remember Fenty having a bid knocked back as "derisory" whilst we were about to die a horrible death first time around.

I don't think he was that bad in his first year at Crawley after he went there but after he fell out of contention with them he absolutely plummeted. He's had 19 clubs I think since he left York and lets face it when he eventually did come to us he was still moderately decent in terms of reputation as he was thought of as off form not past it. I think his failure at Town was the start of the slide as it has been for many other players over the years.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Manchester Mariner
June 9, 2021, 2:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from 140381

I remember him hitting the post once.

That must have been my Tony Daws at Town highlight.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Garth
June 9, 2021, 2:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 140381

Was that the ex school teacher, or was that Fletcher
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Zero_as_a_limit
June 9, 2021, 2:37pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_van_Veen#Career_statistics[/url]

3 league appearances last season! And looking at his stats more than a quarter of his career goals come from a single season in the Netherlands' (amateur) "Topklasse Sunday" league. Would be very risky, although the fact he's talking this up suggests he is not confident of getting a gig any higher than the National League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
livosnose
June 9, 2021, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from RonMariner

Do you mind, I'm trying to forget that.

scored a great goal at Portsmouth/Plymouth away , nice lob .  His only goal !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
June 9, 2021, 2:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
If Hursty wants to dramatically reduce numbers of squad players the last thing he needs is another sicknote. Yes KVV would be the kind of experience we would love in the ranks but potentially being out due to injuries, minor or major, doesn't bode well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
carrot top
June 9, 2021, 2:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from quebec38
Very good player at League Two level who will have a lot better offers elsewhere plus he’d probably want too much in wages.

Also a ginger pig.

Now now can't have racism on here

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Abdul19
June 9, 2021, 3:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218

Wouldn't necessarily say one season wonder but understand what you mean. Brodie was hammering them in left right and centre for about 2 or 3 seasons for York when they were at National League level. I remember Fenty having a bid knocked back as "derisory" whilst we were about to die a horrible death first time around.

I don't think he was that bad in his first year at Crawley after he went there but after he fell out of contention with them he absolutely plummeted. He's had 19 clubs I think since he left York and lets face it when he eventually did come to us he was still moderately decent in terms of reputation as he was thought of as off form not past it. I think his failure at Town was the start of the slide as it has been for many other players over the years.

He did alright at Southport in 14/15, (inevitably) scored the winner at BP during our dire start to the season.

I assume he responsibly invested the huge wages Crawley paid him for 3 years, he seemed like an intelligent chap.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
KingstonMariner
June 9, 2021, 7:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Zero_as_a_limit
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_van_Veen#Career_statistics[/url]

3 league appearances last season! And looking at his stats more than a quarter of his career goals come from a single season in the Netherlands' (amateur) "Topklasse Sunday" league. Would be very risky, although the fact he's talking this up suggests he is not confident of getting a gig any higher than the National League.

This side of the North Sea that sounds like an oxymoron

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kevin van Veen.....surely not?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.