4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
May 30, 2021, 8:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
I went to work in west London in 1991 and met a lot of Brentford fans. We beat them more often than not and I particularly remember a 2-0 win at Griffin park, Jim Dobbin chipped in from 20 yards
The day of the rugby world final in 2003 we played them at Griffin Park and we ended up in the roughest pub I've ever been in, the Potters Arms. Several blokes had been in there since 08:00 and were just smashed
I think it was Buckley 3 we lost 4-0 with Heywood and no Hope at centre backs and that was the beginning of the end. Difficult to believe the dramatic change in fortunes for two very comparable clubs over 15 years, but it goes to show how it can be done with a modest club with bright people in charge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
KingstonMariner
May 30, 2021, 8:59am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Chuffed for Brentford. I always saw them as the Grimsby of the South. Enjoyed most of the days we played Brentford.

That game on the day of the RWC Final in 2003 we won Bucks. In that Monsoon.

The game you’re thinking when we got hammered of was a few years later either at the end of Buckley III or early in Graham RodgerS’s short reign.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
londonmariner2
May 30, 2021, 9:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
We won on the day of the Rugby World Cup final 3-1 I think. Michael Boulding scored a couple I seem to remember
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Total Hawsehole
May 30, 2021, 9:20am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +140
Gold Stars: 2
Swim low sweet halibut!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
forza ivano
May 30, 2021, 10:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Poojah
Very interesting (if long) piece on the Brentford model here:

https://bleacherreport.com/art.....ms-with-huge-budgets

It’s an approach centred on thorough analysis, pragmatism and squaring up to the game’s undeniable truths and finding a way to work around them in smart and effective ways. Pretty much the opposite of what we’ve been doing for the last twenty years.

They’ve no doubt had some outside investment over the years, but their path is nothing like that of Bournemouth who bought their way to the top, albeit smarty and effectively.

We could do a lot worse than take a deep look at what Brentford have done and look to emulate the parts of it that don’t necessarily cost millions.

Well done to them today. Well deserved.

very interesting .love all that stuff about the marginal improvements and thinking laterally, plus , an old bugbear of mine, not learning from other sports
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
mariners1
May 30, 2021, 11:24am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
I agree with sentiments expressed here re. Brentford....a ‘proper’ club. I remember going there in late 70’s or maybe early 80’s. they had a centre forward called Mayo (Joe I think) a bloody giant. Must have been nearly 7ft tall....can’t remember the score but pretty sure we lost but  there was indeed a pretty good pub we went to close to the ground.
Swansea? Well I remember going to see us play a Friday night game there. Lost 1-0. John Toshack might have been their manager then tho don’t hold me to that. Stayed overnight in a freezing cold b&b n drove thru Wales up to Liverpool to watch them play arsenal on the Saturday n then went to a gig Saturday night. Happy days....then I got married and all that enjoying myself malarkey stopped. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Mayaman
May 30, 2021, 2:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Good for Brentford.  I used to go to Griffin Park a lot as neutral when I lived in High Wycombe. I couldn't stand the local team.   Was there when we won 3-0 Tony Rees was on fire. Also remember seeing Brentford one freeing winter day at Blundell park 5-1 I think we won. Lad I was with buggered off early because of the cold.  He missed a couple of goals. Never leave before the final whistle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Roast Em Bobby
May 30, 2021, 2:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Poojah
Very interesting (if long) piece on the Brentford model here:

https://bleacherreport.com/art.....ms-with-huge-budgets

It’s an approach centred on thorough analysis, pragmatism and squaring up to the game’s undeniable truths and finding a way to work around them in smart and effective ways. Pretty much the opposite of what we’ve been doing for the last twenty years.

They’ve no doubt had some outside investment over the years, but their path is nothing like that of Bournemouth who bought their way to the top, albeit smarty and effectively.

We could do a lot worse than take a deep look at what Brentford have done and look to emulate the parts of it that don’t necessarily cost millions.

Well done to them today. Well deserved.

Barnsley also use a similar model - https://theathletic.com/247988.....earch_query=barnsley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
grimsby pete
May 30, 2021, 4:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Town beat Brentford 2-0 at Griffin Park on 1 May 1962  in front of nearly 20000 mainly QPR supporters to get promotion to Div 2. with goals from Cliff Portwood and ….. Ron Rafferty.

Yes I remember that game no internet or on radio so had to wait until news at ten giving the score.

QPR had a chance of going up if we lost so we beat two London teams that night.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
MarinerRob
May 30, 2021, 4:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I think where Brentford and Barnaley are, being close to a lot of top clubs, make their plans work well. A liitle similar to Morecambe and Barrow who can pick up players from the bigger clubs on loan. Town don't really have many big clubs of that quality nearby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brentford and promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.