Son of Cod
May 28, 2021, 8:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Brilliant article on some of the racism Rudiger has faced in football here:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-champions-league-soccer-racism-chelsea

Probably the best thing I've read on racism in football actually.

It still boils my blood that we lost Toto at least in part due to racial abuse he received from our own fans. Not because we lost a good player. We're more than used to that. But because the club I love and associate with was tainted by the actions of idiots. Just like it was at Burton on the final day in 09/10.

Hopefully we're all going to be on the terraces and in the stands of stadiums together again next season. If you hear anyone being racist (I haven't for ages at Town, I'm happy to say) in the Town ends, please call them out on it and report it. If you hear someone who has called someone out for being racist and they're getting grief back, jump in and defend that person too because these eejits don't belong in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
May 28, 2021, 10:01am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Son of Cod

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-champions-league-soccer-racism-chelsea

It still boils my blood that we lost Toto at least in part due to racial abuse he received from our own fans. Not because we lost a good player. We're more than used to that. But because the club I love and associate with was tainted by the actions of idiots. Just like it was at Burton on the final day in 09/10.

Hopefully we're all going to be on the terraces and in the stands of stadiums together again next season. If you hear anyone being racist (I haven't for ages at Town, I'm happy to say) in the Town ends, please call them out on it and report it. If you hear someone who has called someone out for being racist and they're getting grief back, jump in and defend that person too because these eejits don't belong in football.

I didn’t know this, if that’s so then it’s disgusting and they aren’t fans in my eyes, I heard toto left as he was given a phenomenal wage at Hartlepool that we could nowhere near match.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
Roast Em Bobby
May 28, 2021, 10:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
At the play off final against Bristol Rovers I was with friends and a load of their young children and had to endure two town fans directly behind us hurling constant racist abuse at Toto and LJL throughout the whole game.

I guess these are the kind of people of who complain about players taking the knee, and always refute that racism exists at our club and in football generally.

I’ve heard it at many other matches as well, though not as extreme as on that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Son of Cod
May 28, 2021, 11:26am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I didn’t know this, if that’s so then it’s disgusting and they aren’t fans in my eyes, I heard toto left as he was given a phenomenal wage at Hartlepool that we could nowhere near match.

Was never confirmed by the club officially, but it was at Halifax away. I believe there were several Town fans that said they heard it at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Son of Cod
May 28, 2021, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
At the play off final against Bristol Rovers I was with friends and a load of their young children and had to endure two town fans directly behind us hurling constant racist abuse at Toto and LJL throughout the whole game.

I guess these are the kind of people of who complain about players taking the knee, and always refute that racism exists at our club and in football generally.

I’ve heard it at many other matches as well, though not as extreme as on that day.

That's a classic example of idiots coming out of the woodwork on a bid day, isn't it? Hadn't heard of that happening at that match before.

I kind of don't see not taking the knee as outrightly racist as there is the whole angle of whether or not it serves a purpose and that's something that Rudiger even alludes to in that article.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 28, 2021, 11:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Marcus Rashford has said that he has received around 70 racist messages since the UEFA cup final.

Some people are just cowardly, racist scum. We need to call it out, challenge the racists in the Town crowd and make it unacceptable.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
diehardmariner
May 28, 2021, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
In no way disagreeing with anything above.

But the club have previously set their own precedent when it comes towards racism.  Very difficult to ask fans to call out racists when it's common knowledge nothing will be done about it.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
aldi_01
May 28, 2021, 12:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from diehardmariner
In no way disagreeing with anything above.

But the club have previously set their own precedent when it comes towards racism.  Very difficult to ask fans to call out racists when it's common knowledge nothing will be done about it.

This...

The club were spineless that day Halifax and equally as spineless when that flipping cretin was racially abusing Aswad...they can pretend they were doing it because they believe in second chances but we all know that’s balderdash...a club that was pulling people in for ‘a chat’ Becauee they dared to challenge the club on social media yet they allowed a racist back in...someone that acruslly broke the law.

That day at Halifax was embarrassing, could the club have lost some fans? Probably but who cares about losing a few racists?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Rick12
May 28, 2021, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Son of Cod

Its good that racism is being confronted in football more now but I hope other things aren't ignored as well. I know from training younger players in the past a bullying culture exists that's irrespective of race.  We need to work on improving the whole . Craig Bellamy and Luke Chadwick  have alluded to this in the past as well among others.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2021, 1:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thanks for sharing that Son of Cod.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Antonio Rudiger on Racism in Football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.