3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
OneLove
April 29, 2021, 5:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Im quite baffled by certain fans about Hursty, not all but to me the impatient ones. Some saying he isn't the man and should of never been re-appointed, some saying he's got one season and thats it.
Well heres my point of view on the matter. Firstly I think Hurst is possibly the best appointment we could of made, got us back into the league under a scrooge of a chairman, unfortunately jumped ship because of that scrooge of a chairman and not wanting to develop for a future of our club.  His move to shrewsbury and what he did there was more than incredible, Id of hoped to of seen him stay there instead of jumping to Ipswich but its the big lights and the next step to the big league. Skip scunthorpe and his move back here to reassemble a squad of chancers, un-fit and enough to fill a double decker bus in size, a squad that had no confidence, fed god knows how much bulllshit from the bristol idiot, and to try and do something with it which he clearly couldn't and I don't think your top flight managers could either. So a massive a draft of players required within a very short period who we all no once adapted with each other grafted for us and started playing football that was good to watch, a team with confidence and something solid looking.
Now our past problems have been managers, good players coming and going quickly in one door and out the other, no rebuilding and keeping hold of players that are good, no nothing. So Here we have a lifeline, a huge lifeline thats saving our club, it looks to be solid, positive and something thats for the future and will no doubt take time. So please lets all be patient, let the man build and progress, I don't expect wonders straight away from the new owners or hursty its all going to take time and for once in my entire life of being a town fan I feel good for whats to come. Lets get behind the club as a whole for the coming seasons and move as one! Its always been us and them (the board) a separation of anger and I aren't jumping the gun but the positivity Stockwood has shown seems genuine and this is what we need, all together one big unit the fans and the club UTFM FOREVER.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Vance Warner
April 29, 2021, 6:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
I’ve no doubt that some fans will be on his case every time we drop points and will be raging if we’re not top all season. Thankfully it looks like Stockwood understands the need for stability. Every managerial appointment apart from Hurst has been a failure for as long as I can remember so for me sacking him would risk us doing a Wrexham. For anyone thinking it will be easy remember that freezing day at Wembley when they played us off the park and looked to be coasting to promotion? That was 8 years ago and they’ve been there ever since. Already people suggesting giving him two years to build a promotion side is too much which doesn’t fill me with confidence that the toxic minority have increased their football knowledge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
aldi_01
April 29, 2021, 6:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
People don’t like Hurst Becauee he called the fans out and then cupped his ear because some deluded morons thought it was good to go after him because we played excrement in the first leg against Braintree.

Nobody has ever disagrees that Hurst can be negative at times but literally every fan can lick fault with their manager and style at times. Remember when folk moaned about Buckley sides being too cautious and not having a shot from distance?

Fans need to bet off their high and mighty and look at the situation. The club was and is currently bollocksed. One man and some hangers on are responsible for that. We needed a manager that could at least bring some level of harmony to that ramshackle squad. He’s done that and as we saw last time, the ones not good enough or not buying in to that eventually find themselves out the door.

Aside from Holloway only ever coming here and essentially exploiting fans and the club for his own financial gain, his ideas were bizarre. He relied on very good loan players and short term contracts last year...those players, when offered something better couldn’t wait to gwt away. That wasn’t necessarily down to Holloway, but once again, the leadership of the club. Perhaps those players didn’t like the amateur nature of our training facilities or the cheap bottom contracts and the likes. It’s easy to stick it out for 6 months but any longer than that I’d imagine you’d need a special bond with the place.

Holloway proved in the summer he was a flipping xharalatan and a moron. Some of us predicted he’d be a disaster from the get go.

I’d imagine word has well and truly gotten around about the club and Fenty over the years, during the current climate and the precarious position the club was in I can’t imagine many were queuing up for the job and as a fan there’s no way anyone truly trusted Fenty’s opinion on choosing a manager. The successful none we had he eventually chased away.

Hurst is here Becauee the consortium want him here and he’s clearly been a part of their plans.

We have to look forward and fans that don’t like him really need to be less precious. Aside from Buckley he is the only manager in the last 30od years to have any sort of success and build a team that everyone genuinely connected with...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Humbercod
April 29, 2021, 6:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
It just shows are far we have fallen when we all agree that Hurst has been our most successful manager in the last 20 odd years and for what? Getting us out the the conference at the 6th attempt through the lottery of the play-offs. Hurst was on his last legs that year and if we hadn’t of gone up he would of rightly been sacked the fans had had enough of him.

Just remember Hurst only came back here because he didn’t get the Bradford job, he didn’t even apply for the vacant job here (he made that clear) it was only because our board went crawling to him, which is what baffles me with his worshippers. That said he’s here now and I will support him next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
forza ivano
April 29, 2021, 6:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Humbercod

Just remember Hurst only came back here because he didn’t get the Bradford job, he didn’t even apply for the vacant job here (he made that clear) it was only because our board went crawling to him, which is what baffles me with his worshippers. That said he’s here now and I will support him next season.

more lies. Hurst's appointment was the consortium's choice. He would never have come back if it he thought Fenty was still going to be in charge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
pontoonlew
April 29, 2021, 7:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from aldi_01
People don’t like Hurst Becauee he called the fans out and then cupped his ear because some deluded morons thought it was good to go after him because we played excrement in the first leg against Braintree.

Nobody has ever disagrees that Hurst can be negative at times but literally every fan can lick fault with their manager and style at times. Remember when folk moaned about Buckley sides being too cautious and not having a shot from distance?

Fans need to bet off their high and mighty and look at the situation. The club was and is currently bollocksed. One man and some hangers on are responsible for that. We needed a manager that could at least bring some level of harmony to that ramshackle squad. He’s done that and as we saw last time, the ones not good enough or not buying in to that eventually find themselves out the door.

Aside from Holloway only ever coming here and essentially exploiting fans and the club for his own financial gain, his ideas were bizarre. He relied on very good loan players and short term contracts last year...those players, when offered something better couldn’t wait to gwt away. That wasn’t necessarily down to Holloway, but once again, the leadership of the club. Perhaps those players didn’t like the amateur nature of our training facilities or the cheap bottom contracts and the likes. It’s easy to stick it out for 6 months but any longer than that I’d imagine you’d need a special bond with the place.

Holloway proved in the summer he was a flipping xharalatan and a moron. Some of us predicted he’d be a disaster from the get go.

I’d imagine word has well and truly gotten around about the club and Fenty over the years, during the current climate and the precarious position the club was in I can’t imagine many were queuing up for the job and as a fan there’s no way anyone truly trusted Fenty’s opinion on choosing a manager. The successful none we had he eventually chased away.

Hurst is here Becauee the consortium want him here and he’s clearly been a part of their plans.

We have to look forward and fans that don’t like him really need to be less precious. Aside from Buckley he is the only manager in the last 30od years to have any sort of success and build a team that everyone genuinely connected with...

Saying fans don’t like Hurst ‘because he cupped his ear’ is a lazy thing to say and doesn’t take into account any of the perfectly valid opinions on him.

Hurst has won me round in many areas towards the back end of the season and I’m pleased he’ll be staying, but it’s incredibly naive to think the reason people don’t like him is because of one celebration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Swansea_Mariner
April 29, 2021, 7:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Honestly Humbercod I don't think there are a massive group of Hurst worshippers out there just a lot of pragmatic people. People who see him for what he is, a hard working guy who is the ONLY person has managed at least some success at the juggernaut career killer that GTFC has become.

The end of Slade really hit home for me, I never wanted him back from day one, the wrong appointment totally. But watching the guy fall apart towards the end was quite unsettling, that post Yeovil interview especially, I mean this is an experienced manager after all, with like 20 years in management. Jolley literally exploded. Holloway, well I mean, his interviews got stranger and stranger until he just decided to disappear, practically overnight.

People can point at this club and that club and say well they changed manager and look they turned it around, but for me that totally misses the point. We've been going nowhere for a long time, people can say it's all excuses and expect us to be successful in spite of everything, but honestly, I don't think that's reasonable.

The last 17 years seem to support that point of view, to me at least. DBs stat of 17 different stints of people in charge, was one I frankly hadn't seen before but tells you everything you need to know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
realist
April 29, 2021, 7:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I’m not bothered about the cupping the ear incident, I just think he is a useless manager, as a few other clubs do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Humbercod
April 29, 2021, 8:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from forza ivano

more lies. Hurst's appointment was the consortium's choice. He would never have come back if it he thought Fenty was still going to be in charge

Get off your high horse! it was quoted in the press that the consortium were very supportive of the board's decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Bigdog
April 29, 2021, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01

Well I must be a moron then. My first ever post on here was in about February that season in exasperation calling for Hurst to dispense with Monkhouse and 4-4-2 in favour of playing Clay in a midfield three with Disley and Nolan. How poor were we towards the end of that season limping into the play-offs behind Braintree and how did playing three in centre midfield work out in the return leg at Braintree and the final then?

I actually like Hurst as a character, but I do have certain misgivings about him managing us next season. Quite prepared to see how his recruitment is in the window and how we're going around Xmas before taking a view. Far more interested to learn of what plans Stockwood and Pettit have for the club going forward than whether Hurst is manager or not. It's far more important. Hoping to be excited and fearing of being underwhelmed at the same time. Not long to wait to find out.. but at least that charlatan Fenty will be out of the building, a major step forward for the club all on it's own..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Expectation from certain fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.