Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 11, 2021, 9:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Mallyner

I think that is what we have missed for many years, a tall, long striding midfielder like Clayton, who can leave people for dead. I know JT said that Bradford were letting our centre backs run forward, but when Manayese ran forward with determination and the confidence to take people on, he was leaving people for dead.

Although Clayton Donaldson is a ‘long striding’ striker of course
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
pontoonlew
April 11, 2021, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
I agree -I think that is about it. Really difficult game next that I can't see us getting anything from.

I feel for a few of the players as a small group have been consistently good over the past couple of months, and defensively we are not a relegation team. But we simply don't create anything at all. The chances of coming back to win from one down are virtually none.

For what it is worth, I thought Hendrie had a great game today, Hewitt and Meyannese as strong as ever and Coke was solid again. Not sure if he is injured but I feel Metete is not playing to the standards he did when he first arrived. Williams was ok, front 2 completely ineffective, as was Moralis in my opinion. Though Clifton was excellent second half and should start.

With the takeover now looking like it will be completed,  whether people like it or not Hurst will be manager next season. Some will argue that it's not over until it is impossible, but I can't help but think now about preparations for new season in the conference with Hurst in charge.

Of the squad today I feel very few will be here next season. Macca, John-Lewis probably only certainties. I would imagine Hurst will want to keep Hewitt and Meyannese but I'm sure both will find league clubs. I would also keep Clifton, his energy, workrate, versatility makes him ideal for that league. Beyond that I think the rest may be gone, I maybe would keep Harbergham, full pre season and I think he could be a good player.

Macca, Menayese, Hewitt, Hendrie, Habergham, Coke, Spokes, Williams and LJL would all make good NL players IMO. I’ve left out Matete because we’ve no chance on him.

The struggle we had last time we went down is it took 3-4 years to build anything that could properly challenge. For all the squads faults (and there are loads) they’ve looked a lot better whilst still lacking any proper attacking threat. In the league below with some decent additions I genuinely think the above will provide a decent enough baseline.

Just my opinion of course, whether or not Hurst or anybody else agrees is another thing all together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
HertsGTFC
April 11, 2021, 10:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pontoonlew

Macca, Menayese, Hewitt, Hendrie, Habergham, Coke, Spokes, Williams and LJL would all make good NL players IMO. I’ve left out Matete because we’ve no chance on him.

The struggle we had last time we went down is it took 3-4 years to build anything that could properly challenge. For all the squads faults (and there are loads) they’ve looked a lot better whilst still lacking any proper attacking threat. In the league below with some decent additions I genuinely think the above will provide a decent enough baseline.

Just my opinion of course, whether or not Hurst or anybody else agrees is another thing all together.

If you look at the Top 8 in the NL the 6 that are left behind would all expect to be in the mix come the end of next season.

How do we join them and indeed finish ahead of them?

- Make ourselves hard to beat and build a strong team ethic.
- Offer better term contracts with salaries, incentives and benefits that are attractive enough for the better players to commit to us.
- Add a mix of experience and raw talent, the latter could come from EFL clubs using the loan market.

I think the first one will be a given with Hurst at the helm the 2nd & 3rd depend on a number of factors but is the key to securing the level of attacking talent we’ll need to score the goals to take us up.

Part of the reason it took so long last time was that until the season we got promoted we’d never consistently had enough goals from the strikers and mid field in the squad, there where some brief periods when it looked that way but they never came good over a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.