5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
March 28, 2021, 11:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
People keep saying if we win the next one we can go on a bit of a run, no we can't, that was proven after Crawley and Barrow games. We are simply not good enough to score the goals needed as we are reliant on keeping a clean sheet at minimum. We will win a couple of  games to delay the inevitable for a bit longer but I still believe we will finish bottom of the league with less than 40points  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
RonMariner
March 28, 2021, 11:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
We have had around a dozen 'winnable' games in the last three months . Games against either teams at the bottom end of the table or teams in dire form at the time (e.g. Newport).  Sadly we have come away only two wins.

Now we face what appear to be much tougher games. But the fact is that for weeks now there have been example of games which have not gone to form. Bottom teams beating top sides.

So I think we should approach every single game form now as winnable, and just go for it. Draws are no good to us at this stage. It seems to me that we still need at least 5 wins to have any chance of safety. That would take us to 47 points, so we would probably need a couple of draws in there too.

5 wins , 2 draws, 2 defeats.  I am trying to be optimistic, but the mountain is looking just too steep to me.    
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Poojah
March 28, 2021, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
I wouldn’t read too much into opponents at this stage of the season - things like pressure and conversely having nothing to play for can do funny things.

The reality is though we’re going to need somewhere in the region of 13-14 points to have a realistic chance of staying up, so four wins and a couple of draws from nine. I think that just reaffirms the need to throw caution to the wind and go for it - we have nothing to lose.

I’m still very much of the opinion that we’ve had it, but the kind of form required isn’t quite as miraculous as you might think. Nine games - four wins, two draws and three defeats would probably do it. That’s ‘scraping into the play-offs’ kind of form - way better than we’ve achieved all season but not fundamentally beyond the current side in my opinion.

It sounds counter intuitive given where we find ourselves, but we need to drop the fear of losing.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
DB
March 28, 2021, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I would say with, maybe the exception of Bolton, there's no teams to be scared of in that run in.
It's been a league 2 of poor quality season, us being the worse obviously, but at the moment we are just not scoring enough goals.
Think if we can beat Salford on Friday we could, and I emphasise could, have a good crack at all those remaining fixtures.
Heart says we can stay up, brain so chance and it's time to Google maps Kings Lynn..

Absolutely agree with your sentiments. A minimum of 15 points needed and I can't see that happening, we had our chance to pick up points from those around us in Feb & March and completely failed.

As Fraser said in Dads Army,         We're Doomed Mister Hurst We're all Doomed

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
pen penfras
March 28, 2021, 1:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah
I wouldn’t read too much into opponents at this stage of the season - things like pressure and conversely having nothing to play for can do funny things.

The reality is though we’re going to need somewhere in the region of 13-14 points to have a realistic chance of staying up, so four wins and a couple of draws from nine. I think that just reaffirms the need to throw caution to the wind and go for it - we have nothing to lose.

I’m still very much of the opinion that we’ve had it, but the kind of form required isn’t quite as miraculous as you might think. Nine games - four wins, two draws and three defeats would probably do it. That’s ‘scraping into the play-offs’ kind of form - way better than we’ve achieved all season but not fundamentally beyond the current side in my opinion.

It sounds counter intuitive given where we find ourselves, but we need to drop the fear of losing.

It might even be more. Barrow, Colchester and Southend all play each other. We need 2 teams to lose almost every game to catch them, or us go on a brilliant run of wins. Maybe if we hadn't had a couple of stinkers of refereeing decisions, then we might have a chance. But I just don't see it. Everybody has more than a point a game except us and Southend, so we're looking at needing about 50 to stay up unless 2 teams throw in the towel.

I don't see where we'll be able to score enough goals to win games. Hanson isn't a goal scorer, LJL is good at everything except scoring, Payne doesn't look like scoring many. Hewitt, Hendrie and Morais were putting good balls into the box when we didn't have anybody with a presence. Since those 3 big players have been in, the crossing has been mostly awful. Set pieces were our threat, but we have Spokes taking them now and they're floaty ones that defenders love.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
KingstonMariner
March 28, 2021, 2:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from LH
[tweet]1375874549108121603[/tweet]

Here’s all four threatened clubs run-ins. No-one has it easy but ours is the worst.

Interesting run in. The fact they all have two games against other teams facing relegation will be a help to us. There’s some games there that are guaranteed dropped points for some or all of them.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
Yoda
March 28, 2021, 2:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
The losses at home to Southend and Stevenage killed us.

I think most fans know it’s over now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Poojah
March 28, 2021, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Yoda
The losses at home to Southend and Stevenage killed us.

I think most fans know it’s over now.

We didn’t lose to Southend, did we?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
MarinerDevil
March 28, 2021, 2:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
It's becoming increasingly unlikely, isn't it?  The only hope I have now is that, because we have no more 6 pointers, no game is a must-not-lose; all of them are must-wins.  Maybe that shifts the mentality towards a less-fearful mindset.  The kind of form we need isn't extraordinary.  A 2018-like run-in would do it, but I just don't see where it's coming from in this side.  

We need 1.67 points per game to get to 47 pts which is play-off form, but with the relegation battle becoming increasingly competitive the cut-off might be even higher.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
Davec
March 28, 2021, 2:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
After the Barrow win I said to myself that we need atleast 6 points from next 3 games to even stand a small chance, 1 game in and only 1 point so we need to win both of the next 2 games.

I find it very unlikely we will even come close to staying up and I think it will be impossible to stay up in the next 6-7 games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our run in

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.