DB
March 20, 2021, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from TAGG
Second half we had a lot more attacking attitude which we need for 90 minutes every game to the end of the season.

4 unbeaten but this game was with goals so a positive I suppose.
UTM

In January this would be brilliant, now it's 8 points lost.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
forza ivano
March 20, 2021, 7:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pontoonlew
Spokes and Williams changed the game, yet both were pretty average under Holloway.

Either they’ve got a lot better, or Hursts new signings are far worse than we gave them credit for.

Too little too late and I’m sick of playing for 45 mins every week.

untrue, apart from his first couple of games Spokes has looked a decent prospect.
second sentence debateable - we hung on in there v tranmere and you could argue we did the same today, difference being they scored with their only chance, a wonder strike
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2021, 7:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
We may have looked ok towards the end but do t forget we went for broke with 3 at the back and Clifton pushed into mid field, we wouldn’t start like that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
March 21, 2021, 8:25am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Yeah it was a battling performance in the 2nd half, yeah we salvaged a point, yeah Williams & Spokes made a difference. We even scored from 2 set pieces.

Overall though it was nowhere good enough and for most of the game out work rate and support of the man in possession was shocking.

I’m a supporter of Hurst but even I have to question whether he should be here next season or not.

We need to win 6/7 games and considering we’ve only won what 6 so far? It’s not going to happen.

Not having a go, but how do you work out how many points we need when there still 11 games to play.  
What about the teams above us, do you know how many points they are going to get from those games? Just saying..................

Reply: 13 - 19
ex-merseymariner
March 21, 2021, 8:54am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from lukeo
I've only watched the last few games but how come Williams hasn't played much? Brought a bit oof energy and quality to the team (and obviously a cracking equaliser).

Hurst has hinted in interviews that hes not impressed in training, and hes been inconsistent when  he has played.  
Seems to have failed to take the chances given to him in january, couldnt get on the bench lately, now gets his chance due to injuries to wright scannell Bennett morais, and behind lamy and Jackson, so is around 7th choice!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2021, 9:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

Not having a go, but how do you work out how many points we need when there still 11 games to play.  
What about the teams above us, do you know how many points they are going to get from those games? Just saying..................

Your not wrong to be honest mate I was just looking at the 50 point marker, 7 wins gives us 49 points an id be surprised if there isn’t the odd draw in there.

Looking at the points Colchester & Barrow have and the games left I wouldn’t be surprised if the team that finishes 22nd has well over 50 points.

Though we’ve looked better at times we’re creating so few chances.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
Marinerdeano
March 21, 2021, 9:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Your not wrong to be honest mate I was just looking at the 50 point marker, 7 wins gives us 49 points an id be surprised if there isn’t the odd draw in there.

Looking at the points Colchester & Barrow have and the games left I wouldn’t be surprised if the team that finishes 22nd has well over 50 points.

Though we’ve looked better at times we’re creating so few chances.

Colchester have 6 points from the last 10 played and just 9 from the last 15 and 11 from 20! They have 10 games left. Their next three games are against Tranmere, Bradford and Bolton. We need to try to close the gap on them significantly in the next 3.

They have a run of fixtures against teams low down then but their final three are Cheltenham, Salford and Tranmere again.

Clutching at straws but hopefully each game can further dent their confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
moosey_club
March 21, 2021, 9:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
I think ....Hurst has started to make his mark on the team,  yesterdays team was further weakened by a couple of absences but over the last 4 or 5 games we have generally,

Been harder to score against
Started to gel as a team
Looked better balanced
Players working hard for each other

Only problem is the individual quality just isnt there.

Just losing Hanson yesterday completely killed us an attacking force....and i use force lightly as with him we havnt really been smashing them in, but without him there was no link ups between strikers,  no headers won, minimal hold up allowing players to get up in support.

Hurst tried to remedy that by changing the approach and shape but I can hardly recall any instances of any single player taking their man on and beating them, William's maybe.

Just a real lack of quality is going to finally kill us and that applies to both managers squad really.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
DB
March 21, 2021, 11:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Hurst has hinted in interviews that hes not impressed in training, and hes been inconsistent when  he has played.  
Seems to have failed to take the chances given to him in january, couldnt get on the bench lately, now gets his chance due to injuries to wright scannell Bennett morais, and behind lamy and Jackson, so is around 7th choice!

We may have had a spat in the past but I agree with you here.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
DB
March 21, 2021, 11:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerdeano

Colchester have 6 points from the last 10 played and just 9 from the last 15 and 11 from 20! They have 10 games left. Their next three games are against Tranmere, Bradford and Bolton. We need to try to close the gap on them significantly in the next 3.

They have a run of fixtures against teams low down then but their final three are Cheltenham, Salford and Tranmere again.

Clutching at straws but hopefully each game can further dent their confidence.

You have no idea how many straws I clutch at that break. The reality is that we have to score more points per game than either Barrow or Colchester to stay up. March could have been a good month to move up the table, be it above Southend.
8 games and 24 points were at stake, unfortunately we have amassed only 4 point out of 6 games, a possible 18 points. In all honesty I cannot see 6 points from Barrow and Walsall, optimistically 4 points but reality says 2 points.

April we have Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton and a last game in May at Cambridge so I can't see us having many points from those games. That leaves Vale, Morecambe and Oldham as must win games.

We have to win 4 games just to catch Barrow and Colchester and hope they don't get a point. It's all feasible, doable call it what you like. Our problem is we are securely in the last chance salon with a trap door open balanced on the edge of it staring down at the NL.

I'm facing reality and just found another straw.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.