3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 19, 2021, 8:50am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Let's hope that Mansfield allow Rollin to play against his parent club tomorrow. I know that would have been included in the loan deal when signed.

But just think who may have to play IF he can't play tonight!!!

Scary thought eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tommy
March 19, 2021, 8:55am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I don't think it's something the clubs agree on in the deal. I think it's just a rule that loan players cannot play against parent clubs.

Think that's been the case for a long time. Probably since not long after Isaiah Rankin's antics vs Barnsley.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
Heisenberg
March 19, 2021, 9:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Tonight?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
HistonMariner
March 19, 2021, 9:00am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +558
Gold Stars: 13
1. The game is not tonight it’s Saturday.
2. Hurst said on Wednesday he wouldn’t be playing.
3. It’s not a rule that you can’t play against your parent club.
4. It’s an agreement between the two clubs involved in the transfer.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
pen penfras
March 19, 2021, 9:06am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HistonMariner
1. The game is not tonight it’s Saturday.
2. Hurst said on Wednesday he wouldn’t be playing.
3. It’s not a rule that you can’t play against your parent club.
4. It’s an agreement between the two clubs involved in the transfer.

It is a rule that they can't play against their parent club in the PL, I thought it was in EFL too

Edit. A player can only play against a parent club with written consent that it is allowed. Default position is they can't play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 19, 2021, 9:21am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg
Tonight?!

Sorry. Got ahead of myself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
pontoonlew
March 19, 2021, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Can't believe we're even talking about Menayese being a loss considering the start he had.

What a turnaround he's had since Hewitt came in alongside him, he looks like a completely different player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
zorro_is_a_Mariner
March 19, 2021, 10:12am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Sometimes players just need a good few games to settle in and get back to match fitness,  his certainly proving his worth these last few games.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
denni266
March 19, 2021, 10:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Would be a good chance for them to see him play tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
diehardmariner
March 19, 2021, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from pontoonlew
Can't believe we're even talking about Menayese being a loss considering the start he had.

What a turnaround he's had since Hewitt came in alongside him, he looks like a completely different player.

I think when he came in, it was the expectation he would be the cultured one of pairing (or even a back three at times).  Waterfall and Pollock are more agricultural in their approach to defending and the two as a pairing was just too basic for my liking.

But I think Menayese struggled a bit initially because it's not his game.  He might be more cultured than Pollock and Waterfall but that's quite a low bar. Having Hewitt as a partner has allowed him to be the more aggressive, old school style defender of the two.  I think the same perhaps in terms of the expectation to be the quick one.  Menayese was loads quicker than Pollock and Waterfall but still not rapid, Hewitt has a bloody quick turn of foot that I think is often understated.  

Menayese is now the one who will attack the ball and do the basics.  Hewitt on the other hand is the one who will mop up the balls behind the back line but also bring it out.  

The last three games it's looked a good pairing, one I don't particularly look forward to see broken up tomorrow.  It's just a shame that we've discovered after 30+ games.  Even five or six games earlier could have left us with a better chance.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
Mariner_501
March 19, 2021, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Thought he was trash at the start. What a turnaround partnering Hewitt. If only we had that centre back partnership sooner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
sam gy
March 19, 2021, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
What a shock that it took a young lad a couple of games to get settled into a brand new team that's struggling at the bottom of league 2 eh.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
pen penfras
March 19, 2021, 11:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think when he came in, it was the expectation he would be the cultured one of pairing (or even a back three at times).  Waterfall and Pollock are more agricultural in their approach to defending and the two as a pairing was just too basic for my liking.

Where were you saying this? Everybody on here was frigging themselves senseless over Pollock at the start of the season and every time I suggested he's not that good I got about 20 red crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
TonySmith
March 19, 2021, 1:54pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
  Hewitt and Menayese  have shown themselves to be a very solid and effective central defensive partnership. I don't think we are going to ship loads of goals between now and the end of the season, but the ongoing inability to create more than two or three half decent chances in a game, leading to at best a single goal on a good day, is the ongoing Achilles Heel. 0-0 or 1-1 draws, the occasional 1-0 win, and a few 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1 defeats will still see us relegated. We have actually looked the better team in several games recently and with even a little bit of luck we would have at least 4 or 5 more points, so there is still a bit of hope, but we desperately need a few games where we score more than a single goal. Bring home 6 points from Mansfield and Barrow from a couple of 1-0 wins ( and I honestly think that might happen ) and things could look very different at this time next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
lee65
March 19, 2021, 3:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
So who partners Hewitt tomorrow?, I guess it has to be Waterfall (I think Pollock is out)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
March 19, 2021, 3:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from sam gy
What a shock that it took a young lad a couple of games to get settled into a brand new team that's struggling at the bottom of league 2 eh.

Yes what a shock indeed.
Reply: 15 - 20
Tommy
March 19, 2021, 3:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Personally I think it would be wrong, and unfair, to write Pollock off yet or be too heavy with criticism.

He's a 19 year old lad. Still developing his game as he gains experience.

He plays in a position where it is rarer for young players to be thrown into the side in their teenage years. He has played all of his football in a team that's either been an average lower half team or a team that's struggled massively at the bottom. And he's still only made about 50 EFL appearances.

Still plenty of potential with him. We're very quick to go over the top with praise just as we are quick to write him off and claim that he's not that good all of a sudden.

Young players can be inconsistent as they're still developing. It wouldn't have helped him being in such a poor team this year that lacks leadership.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 19, 2021, 4:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Personally I think it would be wrong, and unfair, to write Pollock off yet or be too heavy with criticism.

He's a 19 year old lad. Still developing his game as he gains experience.

He plays in a position where it is rarer for young players to be thrown into the side in their teenage years. He has played all of his football in a team that's either been an average lower half team or a team that's struggled massively at the bottom. And he's still only made about 50 EFL appearances.

Still plenty of potential with him. We're very quick to go over the top with praise just as we are quick to write him off and claim that he's not that good all of a sudden.

Young players can be inconsistent as they're still developing. It wouldn't have helped him being in such a poor team this year that lacks leadership.

The problem is that in better teams in the league, if one individual has an off-day, or 2 or 3, there is always others around who are be capable of covering for any mistakes. Sadly for most of this season we have had Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello across the back 4, unable to do anything with any conviction. If the players were a little more able, like the 2 current encumbants of the CD position have shown recently, then any errors can be dealt with, and less blame is thrust upon individuals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
arryarryarry
March 19, 2021, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from pen penfras

Where were you saying this? Everybody on here was frigging themselves senseless over Pollock at the start of the season and every time I suggested he's not that good I got about 20 red crosses.

Not me sunshine.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2021, 6:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

The problem is that in better teams in the league, if one individual has an off-day, or 2 or 3, there is always others around who are be capable of covering for any mistakes. Sadly for most of this season we have had Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello across the back 4, unable to do anything with any conviction. If the players were a little more able, like the 2 current encumbants of the CD position have shown recently, then any errors can be dealt with, and less blame is thrust upon individuals.

I think it was the Marx Brothers in front of the back four that were the main problem earlier on. Offered no protection, either tracking back, or holding on to the ball or feeding the strikers.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
joe56
March 19, 2021, 9:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I thought that Meyanese looked good from the start. He had the misfortune to make a couple of conspicuous errors after  2 or 3 games, and some people haven’t been off his back since. Early in the season, I expressed the view that Duncan Idehan was our best central defender. His pace and reading of the game put him well ahead of the others in my opinion. He was thrown into the first game of the season as an untried 18 year old against Walsall, and I felt he was our best player. I thought he maintained that standard for a number of games until he made a couple of significant errors that led to the humiliation of him being substituted at half time in one match. He was widely deemed to be ‘nervous’, and has never had a look in since. My concern is that that he’ll be passed over, and allowed to leave in the Summer.  Given a fair chance, he’d be nailed on to do well somewhere else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rollin Menayese

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.