March 17, 2021, 10:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,909
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from RonMariner
I would go for the Cowleys.

Their playing style is not everyone's cup of tea, including mine. But I would cheer a goal that takes us into the L1 play off places if it was the result of a 50 yard punt just as much as if it came at the end of a silky 20 pass and move.  

After what we have had to endure these last few years I crave on-field success however achieved.

Have you been on the Guinness extra early for breakfast?

The Cowley’s will not come here as their stock is way higher than our (as beautiful as it is is) sinking ship. Plus, factor in their time with Lincoln and this would be another reason they wouldn’t want to manage us.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
TwoLeftFeet
March 17, 2021, 10:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,101
Gold Stars: 19
Danny Cowley rumoured to be getting Pompey job..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
W.T.F
March 17, 2021, 10:41am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 2
I really hope it isn't Hurst I know football is all about different opinions but mine will never change from this no matter what anyone else throws at me (unless he took us up the league's) then I'd gladly eat humble pie

The performances have been turgid at best, he is a set in his ways manager that more often than not people deride his decisions regarding subs, overly defensive tactics.

The results are unacceptable 1 win in 12 in a crap league and in that run we have played mostly bottom of the league clubs and teams desperate for form, yet we still can't score or win. He knew we can't score yet he brought in Payne who he has now seemingly dropped Hanson with his 1 for the season and JPL who doesn't bother the scoresheet regularly either.

That brings me to the future, if we are as most likely in non league his record isn't outstanding is it. 1 promotion in 6 years where I would suggest the league wasn't as strong overall as it is now and we were a big fish in it. He has the job of getting us out the league and I really can't see how he can. To me his stock is on the way down, like a lower league mourinho who's tactics and management are in decline and being overtaken with more forward thinking managers with new ideas and tactics ala Ian evatt when at barrow.

Even if and it's a massive if he got us back up can you see him being able to progress us up and out of league 2? His only league success is 1 season with Shrewsbury where they predictably failed in the play offs, and credit due to keeping them up the year before The rest of his time in the league has been dire or distinctly average.

Hopefully new owners with new ideas come in soon and shake this sleeping club to its core. The fans deserve better than Hurst he is already divisive within the fans and I think the season tickets and attendences will take a hit with him in charge. A new start is needed and in answer to OP although highly unlikely I think the Cowley's would be a massive statement of intent being they have got out of non league, can go on cup runs and progress the club once back in the league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
Rodley Mariner
March 17, 2021, 10:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
I think it is going to be a really difficult decision for the new owners to make. Hurst feels like a relatively safe appointment. It's been really disappointing the impact he's made but we know he'll work hard, sign decent characters and do things the right way. But do they want safe or do they want a brave new dawn with more ambition and positivity. I suspect that decision might be the first one Mark Palmer gets tasked with.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
diehardmariner
March 17, 2021, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from W.T.F
I really hope it isn't Hurst I know football is all about different opinions but mine will never change from this no matter what anyone else throws at me (unless he took us up the league's) then I'd gladly eat humble pie

The performances have been turgid at best, he is a set in his ways manager that more often than not people deride his decisions regarding subs, overly defensive tactics.

The results are unacceptable 1 win in 12 in a crap league and in that run we have played mostly bottom of the league clubs and teams desperate for form, yet we still can't score or win. He knew we can't score yet he brought in Payne who he has now seemingly dropped Hanson with his 1 for the season and JPL who doesn't bother the scoresheet regularly either.

That brings me to the future, if we are as most likely in non league his record isn't outstanding is it. 1 promotion in 6 years where I would suggest the league wasn't as strong overall as it is now and we were a big fish in it. He has the job of getting us out the league and I really can't see how he can. To me his stock is on the way down, like a lower league mourinho who's tactics and management are in decline and being overtaken with more forward thinking managers with new ideas and tactics ala Ian evatt when at barrow.

Even if and it's a massive if he got us back up can you see him being able to progress us up and out of league 2? His only league success is 1 season with Shrewsbury where they predictably failed in the play offs, and credit due to keeping them up the year before The rest of his time in the league has been dire or distinctly average.

Hopefully new owners with new ideas come in soon and shake this sleeping club to its core. The fans deserve better than Hurst he is already divisive within the fans and I think the season tickets and attendences will take a hit with him in charge. A new start is needed and in answer to OP although highly unlikely I think the Cowley's would be a massive statement of intent being they have got out of non league, can go on cup runs and progress the club once back in the league

I'm no Hurst fanboy.

But let's give the guy some credit.

He rocked up here at the back end of 10/11.  We were mid-table when he and Scott turned up, we finished the season there.  It was never an appointment with the expectation that we would surge to the play-offs.  They inherited a quite poor squad, Connell aside.

11/12 - Their first season in charge, we finish 11th.  Positionally no improvement on the previous season but they brought in a good spine to the team that would serve us well in the coming years (McKeown, Pearson, Disley, even Hearn).
12/13 - We finish 4th.  We should have done better that year and we tailed off.  Ran out of steam and lost in play-off semi finals to Newport.
13/14 - 4th again.  Hurst takes over in charge alone early on after Scott is sacked.  Lost in the play-off semi finals to Gateshead.
14/15 - 3rd.  Lose in the play-off final to Bristol Rovers.
15/16 - 4th.  Play off winners.

That's 5 seasons he was with us in the Conference.  One of which was a transformation season.  The other 4 we finished exactly where we would expect our budget to lead us to, top 5.  With the exception of the year we did get promoted, there was always a club that threw money at it big time and ended up getting out.  Fleetwood, Luton, Bristol Rovers...hindsight is great but you can guarantee these clubs had better infrastructures than us.  We might have had similar playing budgets to those around us but I lost count the amount of times the Braintree's of the world came to Blundell Park with sports scientists on the bench.  We weren't a big fish at all, we were a fallen giant trying to live on former glories.    If you look at Hurst in isolation his record in the Conference is 4th, 3rd, 4th (one play-off semi final, two finals, one promotion).  It ain't shabby.

16/17 - Hurst leaves us just outside the play-offs, goes to Shrewsbury and turns them around to avoid relegation.  In my eyes that's a success of a season.
17/18 - He gets Shrewsbury to the play-off final and the FL Trophy final.  Wins nothing and you can argue threw promotion away but that's still a successful season.  I very much doubt his pre-season objectives were anywhere near what he acheived.
18/19 - Ipswich.  Basketcase of a club, losing £300,000 a week for the last god knows how many years.  Budget slashed.  He lasts 15 games, in the two and a half years since he left, Ipswich have hardly gone from strength-to-strength.  Still losing money and currently sit just outside the League One play-offs.
19/20 - Takes over at Scunny, another basketcase club who are leaking money left, right and centre.  Restricted by large contracts dished out when chasing promotion from League One, he falls out with the chairman and is sacked for non-footballing reasons in January.  In the year since, Scunny have made no progress in terms of league position, maybe they've cut their weekly losses (I don't know).

He's hardly a failure is he?  His non-league record stands up.  His league record is alright, the last two/three years not so great but it's not as if anyone's followed him at those clubs and torn up trees either.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 17, 2021, 11:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The new owners were probably acquiescent in the PH appointment and from this distance it looked a reasonable shout. He might not be great but he knows how to avoid relegation - this would be their thinking. Then re-assess in the summer. Not my choice by a long chalk. Six years to get a lucky  promotion here and failures at 3 other clubs before he came back.

But in reality Hurst has talked about the mess the club was in, sent half the players down the other end of the field to amuse themselves in training and brought on his own team. But the results are no better.

How can they be when your main “striker” misses an open goal my granny would have scored and she’s been dead 58 years this month.. in a nutshell that miss sums up the problems of Holloway and Hurst. The failure to find a striker. One player might not have saved Holloway but it would certainly save Hurst and we would be talking about rebuilding to visit Barrow and not Kings Lynn.

Should Hurst go? Not much point really. All that would mean is that we would have a third manager this season trying to get results without a proper striker and more players banished to the bottom end of the Cheapside field. Might as well leave it for now and have a look in the summer.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
diehardmariner
March 17, 2021, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
But we were looking for a proper striker with literally pennies to tempt them.  I'm pretty certain that there's no way Hurst would have ideally recruited from where he has.  Payne has been a disappointment but I think most felt he was a good signing when he arrived.  Seeing where the other recruitment has come from, we definitely weren't in a position to be choosers.  The club is/was incredibly unattractive for potential signings.  Take the budget out of it, wasn't it during the transfer window that it was announced we received a fine from the EFL because we disregarded the safety of the players in relation to social distancing?  

Come to Grimsby! We're heading for relegation, we pay excrement wages AND we'll increase your likelihood of contracting Covid-19.

Again, it didn't take Hurst 6 years to get promoted.  Also for the lucky promotion, which whilst I don't think was lucky I know what you're saying, we had the year before where had the referee acted accordingly we would have played the final out against ten men with a 1-0 lead for what 75/80 minutes, the year before poor refereeing did us in at Gateshead in the semi's.  Swings and roundabouts.

We're judging Hurst based on something that isn't over yet.  I think it's looking ever unlikely that we'll get out of this as a league club, but if we do pull it off the first three months of Hurst's return will be forgotten.  Until we're either up or down, it's unfair to to say if he's succeeded or failed.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
DB
March 17, 2021, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I accept the fact Hurst was good here 1st time round. He was also good at Shrewsbury and that is where it ends.

Both Ipswich and Scunny were failures for him regardless of reasons. It is now 5 years since he managed in the NL and as life changes over the years clubs have changed, players have changed. So will his knowledge of the NL decreased a bit.

I still feel he had his chance to keep us in the EFL and failed with a team he provided. New owners coming and a total new start is needed.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
Fillipe Noche
March 17, 2021, 12:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from DB
I accept the fact Hurst was good here 1st time round. He was also good at Shrewsbury and that is where it ends.

Both Ipswich and Scunny were failures for him regardless of reasons. It is now 5 years since he managed in the NL and as life changes over the years clubs have changed, players have changed. So will his knowledge of the NL decreased a bit.

I still feel he had his chance to keep us in the EFL and failed with a team he provided. New owners coming and a total new start is needed.

DB you’ve made it abundantly clear you don’t want Hurst.

So who would you want instead ?

Don’t sit on the fence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
DB
March 17, 2021, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

DB you’ve made it abundantly clear you don’t want Hurst.

So who would you want instead ?

Don’t sit on the fence

Well Fillipe to use your language, "you know what I've said all you have to do is look back at my posts!"

Unlike you I will give you my answer now which has not changed. I posted at the time, to save us from our current position then, which I feel is irretrievable now, was the Cowley brothers. As I posted then my approach to them would have been 'how much and when'.

Now they appear to be heading to Portsmouth and if they hadn't I don't think the NL would have been attractive.  So perhaps due diligence of quality managers in the NL who, with a decent budget, would get Town back up.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Manager - None League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.