March 14, 2021, 3:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +668
Gold Stars: 57
Just read this.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56378958

It just shows you it can be done ........
They were 11 points adrift of safety at the bottom,with 12 games left......they won 7 and scored a 89th minute winner at Notts County on last game to stay up.....
I know I’m clutching at straws but we cannot give up hope.......
In theory we’re in a much better position than they were.......even though it doesn’t  feel like it!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
March 14, 2021, 3:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Just read this.......

They were 11 points adrift of safety at the bottom,with 12 games left......they won 7 and scored a 89th minute winner at Notts County on last game to stay up.....
In theory we’re in a much better position than they were.......even though it doesn’t  feel like it!

UTM

Whilst it can be done, he turned the team around in 12 games, Paul Hurst has had 12 games and where are we?

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
DB
March 14, 2021, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Just read this.......

UTM

He said they want 22 points from 12 games. Hmm 12 games 6 points for us. Flynn's looking optimistic and Hurst is looking       any ideas???????

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2021, 11:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Maybe the difference was DB, Newport had a decent team already and Flynn didn’t need to re-build it from scratch.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Quagmire
March 15, 2021, 8:10am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Genuine question - did Hurst need a complete rebuild or just half a dozen better players?

We were averaging close to a point per game before he came in, now he’s somehow managed to halve that.

I’m no fan of Holloway but when he needed a left back last season he went out and got Glennon, Hurst goes out and brings 2 bang average players in, one of whom has had significant injury issues in the past couple of years.

We clearly needed some better players bringing in but did he need to bring so many in??  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
fishboyUTM
March 15, 2021, 8:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Defensively, we are better. We could hardly be worse. Hurst has done the right thing by tightening up at the back as we were shipping loads of goals. Perhaps that has come at the expense of our attack. He needs to adjust that balance as we need the three points, one points here and there an no good to us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
blundellpork
March 15, 2021, 8:35am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Hurst has definitely signed better players, and we do look better despite not getting the results.

Eastwood better than Mckeown, Habergham better than Preston, Manayese brings more pace and mobility compared to Waterfall and Pollock, who are very similar, Matete far better than Taylor, Spokes, Morton, Rose, Williams etc, whilst I can’t say im a fan of LJL, he is far better than Green, or any of the young strikers, Lamy looks a real player.

We have tightened up at the back and look far more organised, it’s the inability to score that is killing us. Under Jolley’s great escape, we couldn’t score from open play, but won a crazy amount of penalties to get the goals to survive.

Survival often has fine margins- if LJL had scored from 2 yards rather than hit the bar, if we hadn’t conceded at the death in the previous match etc, we would have been a further 4 points better off and in the mix.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
March 15, 2021, 9:18am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Maybe the difference was DB, Newport had a decent team already and Flynn didn’t need to re-build it from scratch.

This is something which seems to be conveniently forgotten. Especially when people bang on about Barrow since Jolley was sacked. And why a change of manager is pointless.
Reply: 7 - 16
pen penfras
March 15, 2021, 9:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 140381

This is something which seems to be conveniently forgotten. Especially when people bang on about Barrow since Jolley was sacked. And why a change of manager is pointless.

So your point is that changing manager for Newport and Barrow worked, so we shouldn't change manager?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
ex-merseymariner
March 15, 2021, 9:39am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from pen penfras

So your point is that changing manager for Newport and Barrow worked, so we shouldn't change manager?

i thought his point was that Newport had a better squad to start with, but maybe you are deliberately missing his point?

I dont know the Newport situation but assumed the poster meant a fit smaller squad with more quality.  Instead of the Holloway chaos whereby he promoted schoolkids instead of trying Hope/Painter/Curran etc..., was about to ditch his skipper keeper, acquired Mohsni who he never used, gave lengthy contracts to untested strikers and didnt really use them and brought in multiple loanees etc etc

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newport’s “ Great escape”

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.