Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What company do we keep?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 224 Guests

What company do we keep?

This thread currently has 4,326 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2021, 1:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Group A: Wimbledon, Tranmere, Bristol Rovers, Luton: all went straight up again after promotion from the National League. Even Lincoln did it after a while.

Group B: York, Aldershot, Darlington, Torquay, Barnet were all relegated to non-League, won promotion back to the League before being relegated again to the National League.  You could add others like Kidderminster.

I suppose that there’s a third group who get promoted and more or less stick around the bottom division, quite safely. Exeter and Cheltenham for instance.

No disrespect to the clubs in a Group B, but really it’s not being over-ambitious to say we should be in Group A. The fact we look like joining Group B is a massive failure by the person running the club. No excuses.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
March 14, 2021, 1:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
With Fenty we are in group B

With new board. Group A  

It might take a year in the pub league to sort our club out.

But

We will be back bigger and stronger.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
MuddyWaters
March 14, 2021, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
With Fenty we are in group B

With new board. Group A  

It might take a year in the pub league to sort our club out.

But

We will be back bigger and stronger.

If we take the attitude that it's a pub league, it will almost certainly take longer. I trust that the owners will not take that attitude.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
RonMariner
March 14, 2021, 2:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,795
Gold Stars: 226
if the new owner put someone who actually knows what the hell they are doing in running a football club, we will be ok. I am sure they are not going to cough up £2.5 million to see us rot in the NL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
DB
March 15, 2021, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I'm usually optimistic as you know. Their are an awful lot of ex league teams in that league now so I'm not sure of a bounce back. A return yes but I don't know when.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
promotion plaice
March 15, 2021, 12:18am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from DB
I'm usually optimistic as you know. Their are an awful lot of ex league teams in that league now so I'm not sure of a bounce back. A return yes but I don't know when.

Notts County are knocking on the door as you would expect but the biggest surprise for me is Chesterfield.
Lucky not to get relegated again last season and only mid-table this season.
Anyone that thinks a swift return is a given (assuming we get relegated) are living in cloud cuckoo land.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
TonySmith
March 15, 2021, 1:51am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
  After 6 long years in the conference/national league we should know by now that it's a very competitive league with some well financed teams as well as some traditional league teams all vying for 2 precious promotion spots. There are no excuses for a club like Grimsby not being in the mix for promotion, but there should be absolutely no assumption of bouncing straight back. That will take some serious investment, shrewd squad building, good fortune in avoiding long term injuries to key players, and a lot of hard work from everyone involved. The National League is far from a pub league. Surely we all know that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Youngy
March 15, 2021, 9:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,675
Gold Stars: 9
This time, we MIGHT have a few big advantages coming down.

Firstly, time. Our season is scheduled to end in the second weekend of May. The National League isn't until the end of May with the play off final in the 3rd week of June. We have a chance to have a proper pre-season and gives us a massive head start on recruitment. If you can lay claim to being the fittest side in the league, you are off to a good start.

And secondly finances, whilst I don't think we'll be the sugar daddy's of the league. With many National League teams suffering, we may just be facing some very depleted sides who are using the season to essentially recover from the past 12 or so months. We will at least have the reassurance of a parachute payment to fall back on.

This is of course all a massive IF.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
oochiad
March 15, 2021, 10:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
With Fenty definitely group B. With the new owners I’ve no idea as it’s new but I would certainly hope for group A. What a state of affairs.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
TownSNAFU5
March 15, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
You add Stockport who dropped to NL North for a few seasons.  On the up now.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 15, 2021, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Did I miss a memo? Where we relegated at the weekend?

Maybe I misunderstood that there's virtually a quarter of the season still to play.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Les Brechin
March 15, 2021, 12:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Didn't Exeter go straight up again the season after they got back in the league?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
forza ivano
March 15, 2021, 7:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Youngy
This time, we MIGHT have a few big advantages coming down.

Firstly, time. Our season is scheduled to end in the second weekend of May. The National League isn't until the end of May with the play off final in the 3rd week of June. We have a chance to have a proper pre-season and gives us a massive head start on recruitment. If you can lay claim to being the fittest side in the league, you are off to a good start.

And secondly finances, whilst I don't think we'll be the sugar daddy's of the league. With many National League teams suffering, we may just be facing some very depleted sides who are using the season to essentially recover from the past 12 or so months. We will at least have the reassurance of a parachute payment to fall back on.

This is of course all a massive IF.

and it's possible that Dembele will go for mega bucks in the summer, plus we might get something for Pollock and Grist
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
TownSNAFU5
March 15, 2021, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
What is a “proper pre-season”?  I hope that it is completely opposite to the non-existent pre-season we had before this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
RonMariner
March 15, 2021, 10:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Both Fleetwood and Crawley spent about £2 million on their squads and walked away with the NL.  Luton, after their cup exploits the previous season had over a million to spend and won the division. (Lincoln too had a lucrative cup run to fund them did they not?)

Plenty of teams have won the NL with smaller budgets, but it can be a very hit and miss, and if relying on the play offs, as we well know, can be a lengthy wait.

If you really want to escape at the first time of asking, you have to splash the cash to maximise your chances.

We are going down this season because we did not invest properly either in the summer or in January. Footballers have short careers and need to maximise their earnings. Offer then a decent contract and they will come. If the 'money is not a problem' statement by the board was really sincere we would be half way up the table by now.

You need quality players. They don't come cheap, but they will come if you pay them a decent wage. We could have done what Bradford have.  Instead we are going down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
RonMariner
March 15, 2021, 10:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
The other thing to consider is that Holloway would undoubtedly have had plenty of contacts with players at L1 and Championship level. If we had been prepared to pay well no doubt we could have attracted some decent players instead of the rag bag he ended up signing.  Again, it comes down to not being willing to invest in the playing squad.

I really believe the new owners will be willing to invest in the players  we need, not only to take us out of the NL, but out of L2 too.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Eastendmariner
March 15, 2021, 10:51pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
it's called real investment not the fan's digging in their pocket to start operation promotion again at the first glimmer of hope

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
DB
March 16, 2021, 12:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Both Fleetwood and Crawley spent about £2 million on their squads and walked away with the NL.  Luton, after their cup exploits the previous season had over a million to spend and won the division. (Lincoln too had a lucrative cup run to fund them did they not?)

Plenty of teams have won the NL with smaller budgets, but it can be a very hit and miss, and if relying on the play offs, as we well know, can be a lengthy wait.

If you really want to escape at the first time of asking, you have to splash the cash to maximise your chances.

We are going down this season because we did not invest properly either in the summer or in January. Footballers have short careers and need to maximise their earnings. Offer then a decent contract and they will come. If the 'money is not a problem' statement by the board was really sincere we would be half way up the table by now.

You need quality players. They don't come cheap, but they will come if you pay them a decent wage. We could have done what Bradford have.  Instead we are going down.

Looking at the lack of quality and the first signing, Hab's, hadn't played for 18 months money was a problem. The board don't lie in print, they just stretched the truth from BP as far as they could spin it. As you rightly say with PROPER investment in players we wouldn't be looking at relegation.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
March 16, 2021, 8:35am
Guest User
Quoted from RonMariner

That is the definitive answer to all our problems.

Reply: 18 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 16, 2021, 6:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Did I miss a memo? Where we relegated at the weekend?

Maybe I misunderstood that there's virtually a quarter of the season still to play.

My original post was about which type of club we will be. Those that do well after being promoted from the NL or those that end up back down there again. More an invitation to speculate where we'll be/comment about how we've been disastrously run.

"Group A: Wimbledon, Tranmere, Bristol Rovers, Luton: all went straight up again after promotion from the National League. Even Lincoln did it after a while.

Group B: York, Aldershot, Darlington, Torquay, Barnet were all relegated to non-League, won promotion back to the League before being relegated again to the National League.  You could add others like Kidderminster.

I suppose that there’s a third group who get promoted and more or less stick around the bottom division, quite safely. Exeter and Cheltenham for instance.

No disrespect to the clubs in a Group B, but really it’s not being over-ambitious to say we should be in Group A. The fact we look like joining Group B is a massive failure by the person running the club. No excuses.
"

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
FishOutOfWater
March 16, 2021, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner

My original post was about which type of club we will be. Those that do well after being promoted from the NL or those that end up back down there again. More an invitation to speculate where we'll be/comment about how we've been disastrously run.

"Group A: Wimbledon, Tranmere, Bristol Rovers, Luton: all went straight up again after promotion from the National League. Even Lincoln did it after a while.

"

I hope you're not overlooking us having always had a competitive budget KM.... could you imagine how far adrift we'd be if that wasn't so  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 24
Humbercod
March 16, 2021, 8:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Don’t forget Wrexham now with big movie star ambitious owners. Just hope our new owners have pockets deep enough to compete.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
Jarmo.Is.God
March 17, 2021, 9:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from RonMariner

Look at Stockport, just signed Madden, who was scoring 15+ in league 1...

Would like to think with ambitious owners, we would be able to sign good pro's, rather than wasting 2 years like we did last time!

2011 - 11th, 16 points off play-offs
2012 - 11th, 11 points off play-offs

We then made the play-offs every season after
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 9:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Look at Stockport, just signed Madden, who was scoring 15+ in league 1...

Would like to think with ambitious owners, we would be able to sign good pro's, rather than wasting 2 years like we did last time!
r

Nail on the head there. Of course we can attract good players if we are prepared to pay them well.

Look at Scunthorpe. Hardly the most glamorous club in the land but they had the likes of Sharp, Keogh, and many other good players at the club and made it to the Championship twice.

Pay them and they will come!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
DB
March 17, 2021, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Nail on the head there. Of course we can attract good players if we are prepared to pay them well.

Look at Scunthorpe. Hardly the most glamorous club in the land but they had the likes of Sharp, Keogh, and many other good players at the club and made it to the Championship twice.

Pay them and they will come!

All this has been debated before and pessimists argued who would want to come to our club for money. This just proves the point that footballers, like almost every other employed person, are totally motivated by money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What company do we keep?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.