RichMariner
March 10, 2021, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Think only the purists moan about the style if your winning matches. Long ball to Tees’s head flick for Brace or Jack Lewis and ends up in the net who complains? Same with Gary Jones and Reddy. Played correctly and well if it wins matches certainly better then the current love of centre halves passing it squarely to each other before either mucking it up or hurriedly passing back to a keeper to launch it forward anyway.

Talking of that 05/06 season, the football wasn't great but Reddy's pace meant we were always in games and Jones could make the ball stick up top with his intelligent play. Can't remember anyone complaining about the direct style at the time because it was bringing success.

However, the moment direct football doesn't bring results, it's the first thing to be cited as a problem. When you're passing and moving like a Buckley side, you can better negotiate the poor results because you know good football will eventually bring good results.

Teams known for playing attractive football usually prosper. Although if Barnsley somehow make the play-offs and win them, they can set themselves up financially for a good while to come by spending just one season getting spanked in the Prem (as long as they're run sensibly).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
grimsby pete
March 10, 2021, 6:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Not bothered what way we play as long as we win.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 10, 2021, 6:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
[quote=316

However, the moment direct football doesn't bring results, it's the first thing to be cited as a problem. When you're passing and moving like a Buckley side, you can better negotiate the poor results because you know good football will eventually bring good results.

There was a time though when town fans, probably me included, were screaming blue murder at town during the Buckley era as they had a habit of trying to score the perfect goal and were often guilty of one pass too many. I recall one season where we were struggling when I believe we lost 4 home games on the bounce 1-0 and it was exasperating.

Winning clouds many a performance and style of play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Abdul19
March 10, 2021, 6:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
“never played against a team like that at any level of football. The way they play is mental,”

I'd take that as a compliment, to be honest!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
diehardmariner
March 10, 2021, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from RichMariner

Talking of that 05/06 season, the football wasn't great but Reddy's pace meant we were always in games and Jones could make the ball stick up top with his intelligent play. Can't remember anyone complaining about the direct style at the time because it was bringing success.

Teams known for playing attractive football usually prosper. Although if Barnsley somehow make the play-offs and win them, they can set themselves up financially for a good while to come by spending just one season getting spanked in the Prem (as long as they're run sensibly).

Unfortunately I disagree.

I can remember the away end at Mansfield nearly scrapping amongst themselves in February of that season, Town two points clear at the top going into it.  Slade MkI's football split the fans like nothing else I've seen, far more so than Hurst's approach.  Proper Marmite stuff.

At least Slade MkII united the fans in how utterly dogshite his style was.

Even in his first season, Slade got hammered by some of the fans.  We were playing some lovely stuff early on but results weren't going our way.  Although allegedly a certain board member told Slade he had to return to 4-4-2 or a variation of quite early in the season...

Buckley got his fair share of criticism for his style, across all three spells, regardless of form.  I think it's football fans in general, we're just never happy.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
psgmariner
March 10, 2021, 7:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Wasn’t slade mk1 the highest average attendance we’ve had for decades? Can’t be arsed to google but if true people (rightly) don’t care so long as we are winning.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 10, 2021, 7:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
As many of you have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with vertical football if you have the players, such as Reddy and Jones.

John Beck pushed the limits but his style worked at Cambridge because he had Dublin and Claridge upfront.

Allardyce descended into parody but I quite enjoyed watching his Bolton side. Get the ball up the pitch, hold it up and let the likes of Okocha and Djorkæff work their magic from there.

Ditto Barnes and Blissett under Graham Taylor at Watford.

Even Guardiola used to play vertical football at Bayern against Dortmund to avoid Klopp’s gegenpress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
TownSNAFU5
March 10, 2021, 7:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, Barnsley were in trouble early this season.  I think they appointed a new German manager?  Never looked back as far as climbing the league table is concerned.

Just as impressively as Burton are doing with a new manager (Hasselbaink).

Whilst we, with a new team, ...........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Manchester Mariner
March 10, 2021, 7:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
With seemingly every club trying to play out from the back now I have been thinking the time could be right for clubs that can nail the long ball game. Harking back to the 90s with the likes of John Becks Cambridge who came within a glimmer of ending up in the first division and also the Ireland and Norway teams of the 90s who made major improvements by playing disciplined long ball. Obviously they all got sussed out after a time but if you can nail effective hoofball then there are rewards to be reaped, especially so in the lower leagues with clubs who might have ideas above their station playing possession based football from the keeper.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
joe56
March 10, 2021, 8:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
The ultra pressing game is not a long ball game. Leeds are probably its best exponents, and no-one could accuse them of being a hoofball team. The Bielsa approach is what I was advocating in the Just Back thread. It’s all about not giving your opponents the time to settle on the ball in their own half, and then hitting them hard and quickly when in possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnsley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.