Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 233 Guests

Should Hurst be given next season to rebuild?
Yes
No
  View Results 197 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

This thread currently has 19,798 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
March 9, 2021, 8:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from WesternMariner
I’m not a great fan of Hursts style of football. I cut my teeth on Sir Alan and a bit before that watching teams with Drinkell, Ford, Batch, Waters et al - for those on here who don’t remember they’re why we had a reputation for playing the game the right way.

However - those who want to move him on and who say we’re making the same mistake as we did with Fenty ( ie not getting rid when things have gone wrong) haven’t learnt the same lesson that Fenty failed to learn himself. Continuity wins football matches. Chopping and changing eventually lands you in the excrement. Where might we be now if Fenty had sprung a few bob on a conditioning coach and kept the core of the promotion side together under Hurst?

Where has Fentys never ending search for the management messiah got us over the last 15 years? We’ve had more false dawns and second comings than the Moonies. Quite a few of us thought we’d hit the jackpot with Hollowords - he clearly wasn’t the Messiah, he was in fact a very naughty boy.

Hurst might never be AB or Lawrie Mac but one attribute that he shares with them is that he knows how to build a team who’ll play for the shirt, each other and for him, he won’t sign shysters and journeymen and he’ll bring us stability given the chance.

I’d give my right bollock at the moment for a guaranteed miracle - don’t get me wrong. However failing that I’d settle for a gaffer who doesn’t talk out of his backside and who builds a team. The grass isn’t always greener and sometimes it wears a funny hat and plays darts.

We have had continuity at the top for over 16 years and that's been overflowing with success after success!

All this with 'keep Hurst if we go down' balderdash is just the same as the Fenty supporters that kept saying 'stick with him hes a proper fan', 'if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have a club' and all the rest of the bullshit they spew out.

I know we have to keep him until the end of the season and if by some miracle we stay up then okay he stays but no flipping way do we keep him when we are relegated.
If he stay I will not(after God know how many years) be renewing my season ticket.
I couldn't stand the boring, let send on a sub at 71 minutes, getting out thought by almost every other manager football we had for 6 years with him before.

Yes it is the Fenty syndrome

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 100
March 9, 2021, 9:28am
Guest User
Quoted from denni266
Its amazing how many are still backing Hurst . Its even more amazing how many seem to be happy with his dour brand of football that is not working . I don't know if we will stay up or not but  I for one will not be going next season and paying hard earned cash to watch his brand of football, There is more excitement watching the local blind bowls club winter cup

Bet you used to be one of those fans who would sing, " Grimsby till I die", {Except if we are bottom of League 2}.  

Reply: 91 - 100
Zmariner
March 9, 2021, 9:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I will watch any manager playing any style of football if we are in league two next season and will unconditionally buy a season ticket.
If we are in the National league I will still support and go to a handful of games regardless of who the manager is
If Hurst continues on his current run of form then clearly he could not start the next season, if we finish the season showing some guts and fight then I am open to him staying. For me everything depends on the next few games and the games once we are relegated will not count for me utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 100
Garth
March 9, 2021, 10:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Its simple really, if he keeps us up even the biggest anti Hurst supporter will admit he should have a start in the next season, however should we get relegated he has to go, like I say simples!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 100
TownSNAFU5
March 9, 2021, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42

If we are in NL next season then not the Club's or Hurst's finest moment. We know what we got from Hurst last time. In or close to the play-offs every season.  Despite having an above average budget and being seen as  "bigger club", we never seriously challenged or achieved top spot and automatic promotion.

Next season (if NL), with Hurst, I do not expect us to go up as champions or be promoted next season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 100
grimsby pete
March 9, 2021, 11:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

If we are in NL next season then not the Club's or Hurst's finest moment. We know what we got from Hurst last time. In or close to the play-offs every season.  Despite having an above average budget and being seen as  "bigger club", we never seriously challenged or achieved top spot and automatic promotion.

Next season (if NL), with Hurst, I do not expect us to go up as champions or be promoted next season.  

If we are non league the difference next season will be the board.

Under Fenty  most things Hurst asked for the answer was no we can not afford it.

I would imagine looking at Jason Stockwood track record in business the answer would be yes.

We would keep the best of what we have and sign the best non league players that are available because the board will consider them asserts not something you can ignore or let go even if they did score nearly 40 goals for you in the last season.Plus once the word got around on how good Grimsby Town FC treated their players unlike in the past we will not find recruitment as hard as it was under Fenty.

In years gone by before Fent y we did not have any trouble getting players to Grimsby look who we signed, Birtles. Whymark , Webb, Bonetti ,Johny Scott from Man Utd , Geoff Whitefoot and many more. The point I am making is players talk to each other and if one is thinking about coming here at least two would have said don't go there they treat you like shite.( Under Fenty )

You reap what you sow.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 100
cannylad68
March 9, 2021, 11:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Pete,

You are quoting some signings when there was a maximum wage for all professional footballers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 100
Mayaman
March 9, 2021, 11:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Tommy
I'm really surprised at the number of people who don't want to apportion any blame whatsoever to Hurst if we go down. Some good posters who I usually agree with everything they say included in that too.

If Holloway was such a bad manager, how come he was managing to at least pick up a few points, and wins, with his team before he left. Why couldn't Hurst do at least as well as Holloway with the squad he took over? He did worse with it than Holloway. Holloway did win a game (Scunny at home) shortly before he left too so whilst not in spectacular form, it's not like we were on a big winless run like we are now.

Now he's brought his own team in, things still haven't improved. They've actually got worse. If he makes it to the end of the season he'll have had 25 games save us, having not even been in the bottom 2 when he took over.

And that Scunny win was so convincing. Not!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 100
Mayaman
March 9, 2021, 11:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from TAGG
This is just the same thing as with Fenty.
Time after time he made intercourse up after intercourse up but people still supported him, thinking he's the man.
Hurst took 6 years game after boring game to get us out of the league, comes back builds a nailed on relegation team that can't win a game and still people think he's the man.

FFS the Fenty syndrome

I am not sure we all think he's the man.  We didn't see queues of managers outside BP enquiring about the job.  It's Hobson's choice.  I want a Ferrari but I can't afford one so  I have to do with my scooter.  I'm grateful for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 100
arryarryarry
March 9, 2021, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Exactomundo, that's why all of ours in the last two decades almost always fail.

I didn't make it clear, I meant at every club not just GTFC.

Or was John Fenty secretly in charge of Ipswich Town?
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.