This thread currently has 1,601 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
February 28, 2021, 11:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
If you could go back in time and watch (but not change) any historical event what would it be?

Crucifixion
JFK Assassination
9/11 inside a cockpit
pre-TV football match
Storming of the Bastille
Waterloo
Hitler's final hours inside bunker
1966 cup final inside England dressing room
Einstein writing E=mc^2 for the first time
Mozart's death bed
Sistine Chapel ceiling painted
D-day
The Somme
etc

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 1, 2021, 1:08am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Thats a difficult one Rob. So many events took on more significance after they had happened. Caesar crossing the Rubicon was probably a bit dull but the result of him doing it changed the world. I think maybe the dropping of the first A bomb over Hiroshima, the battle of Trafalgar, or the liberation of Dachau. None of which were pleasant. I'm sure the longer I think about this the more I can come up with, and picking just one could be incredibly difficult.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 1, 2021, 1:23am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t start me off on claims about Jesus being a historical figure again Rob 😆

I suppose you could come back and say you didn’t say which crucifixion. If it was real and. Could go back at least I could write a record of it (in stone!), bury the account and come back to tell archaeologists where to find it.

But for sheer interest off that list, Waterloo.

An event not on that list I’d pick one of Town’s Cup semi-finals. Or the night I met the missus 😁.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
DB
March 1, 2021, 5:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
From your list it would have be the two that are connected. The crucifixion of Jesus and D Day.

Both involve people dying so that others could be saved.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
Humbercod
March 1, 2021, 6:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,491
Gold Stars: 82
Some weird choices why would anyone want to watch someone being crucified or blowing their own brains out with his PPK!
Out of that list it would be Waterloo and the tactical brilliance of Wellington smashing the French, D day celebrations would be nice to witness along with the England dressing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Rick12
March 1, 2021, 7:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Good opening post Rob.

Crucifixion for me .

I agree with you Kingston  . Would of  been fascinating to see what actually happened at the time of the crucifixion. Did Jesus rise from the dead after 3 days or were the guards looking after the tomb bribed etc and his body taken by his followers and buried somewhere else. His followers may of just witnessed a figurative rebirth of Jesus though as opposed to a physical one(though it could of happened). Thus felt him in their subconscious and this renewed their minds and were made better people .

As for continued proof of the divine Ive been having this conversation with a few people in my life  . I think just recently though as I have alluded to in the past I still go back to nature. Some native American Indian tribes best probably  share my view who like me are religious and  believe something divine started it all off and put nature at the forefront of things. Go somewhere today where man has not ruined planet earth. Nature in all its unblemished glory. That's the ultimate proof for me of how we should live. Be in harmony with one another and this planet -Gods creation.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
DB
March 1, 2021, 8:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Rick12
Good opening post Rob.

Crucifixion for me .

I agree with you Kingston  . Would of  been fascinating to see what actually happened at the time of the crucifixion. Did Jesus rise from the dead after 3 days or were the guards looking after the tomb bribed etc and his body taken by his followers and buried somewhere else. His followers may of just witnessed a figurative rebirth of Jesus though as opposed to a physical one(though it could of happened). Thus felt him in their subconscious and this renewed their minds and were made better people .

As for continued proof of the divine Ive been having this conservation with a few people in my life  . I think just recently though as I have alluded to in the past I still go back to nature. The native Americans best probably  share my view who like me are religious and  believe something divine started it all off and put nature at the forefront of things. Go somewhere today where man has not ruined planet earth. Nature in all its unblemished glory. That's the ultimate proof for me of how we should live. Be in harmony with one another and this planet -Gods creation.

I believe some parts of the Amazon rainforest are now protect areas for the few tribes that still live there. Apart from that man has managed to ruin everywhere else in some form or another. According to hype we're told to believe it's progress!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Rick12
March 1, 2021, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

I believe some parts of the Amazon rainforest are now protect areas for the few tribes that still live there. Apart from that man has managed to ruin everywhere else in some form or another. According to hype we're told to believe it's progress!
I hope more areas are protected DB. Greed corrupts so many people.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
promotion plaice
March 1, 2021, 9:49am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I would pick being in the same room as Alan Turing and his team when they cracked the Enigma Code.

It has been estimated that the efforts of Turing and his fellow code-breakers shortened the war in Europe by more than two years and saved over 14 million lives.

A national hero that was let down by his country.

"In 2009, following an Internet campaign, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown made an official public apology on behalf of the British government for "the appalling way he was treated". Queen Elizabeth II granted Turing a posthumous pardon in 2013. The "Alan Turing law" is now an informal term for a 2017 law in the United Kingdom that retroactively pardoned men cautioned or convicted under historical legislation that outlawed homosexual acts."

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Rick12
March 1, 2021, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

I would pick being in the same room as Alan Turing and his team when they cracked the Enigma Code.

"In 2009, following an Internet campaign, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown made an official public apology on behalf of the British government for "the appalling way he was treated". Queen Elizabeth II granted Turing a posthumous pardon in 2013. The "Alan Turing law" is now an informal term for a 2017 law in the United Kingdom that retroactively pardoned men cautioned or convicted under historical legislation that outlawed homosexual acts."
Yes I saw the film "the imitation game "they done on him just the other week . Good film and quite moving. Hated the way he was picked on at school .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Time machine choice

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.